Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So since I have owned my truck it has lived mostly in Hawaii and San Diego CA climates since 06. I recently moved to Japan where daily it is below freezing every morning. I just finally got it legal and have been driving it to work for the past 2 days.
I noticed that in the morning the clutch pedal is very sluggish and the stick shift seems very tight. Example, I can push the pedal to the floor and remove my foot quickly and it takes a short time to pop all the way back up as opposed to when it's warm, I cant even remove my foot, much quicker response. And if I am moving and try to downshift into first when cold I almost need to come to a complete stop to get it into 1st.
I am just wondering, does everyone experience this? also maybe is there a different oil viscosity for the clutch for colder climates??

I hate the cold and apparently my truck does too.

·
Registered
655 Posts
same here.

Below -15C it starts getting fussy. At -30C it's not drivable and I have to let it warn a good 5-10 min before even thinking of driving the truck away...

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
It's just the cold and the viscosity of the fluids before they warm up. I would check the Owner's Manual for recommended fluids in colder climates. From other threads I think I have seen where the snythetics are some what better in the colder climates.

·
Premium Member
7,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Kewl, just wondering because I never experienced it before, also before I moved, she started to get a little grind going into 5th. good to know it's normal.

·
Premium Member
7,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well not the grind in 5th, but thats another issue I am wondering about. 72000 hard miles and still going strong.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Mine is brand new (19000km) with factory synthetic... And it doesn't like the cold ;-)

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
I lived in Iceland for three years and more than 30 in the balmy State of Wyoming. Have you ever seen it cold enough for Diesel to gel? Most common fluid change is the oil. With the new technologies this is not as common. The Trans, Dif and other fluids are often over looked.

·
Registered
20 Posts
yep, it's normal.. warm her up, treat her good, take it easy when starting out.
;)
:cheers:

·
Premium Member
918 Posts
I had the same problem with my old FJ. There is a device on the side of the clutch housing called the accumulator. It is the only difference between the new clutch and the older models on the Taco. The older Taco did not have the cold clutch problem. I never got around to it but I think if the accumulator was bypassed the cold clutch problem would go away. I talked with the dist service rep about this and the only thing the accumulator does is eliminate the pulsing you feel from the TO bearing moving.

·
Registered
9 Posts
My 2002 Honda S2000 did a similar thing last winter. Honda had a TSB that suggested putting new grease on the end of the hydraulic actuator at the point it contacts the clutch fork. Doing so fixed the problem on the S2000-might work on the FJ?

·
Registered
583 Posts
well not the grind in 5th, but thats another issue I am wondering about. 72000 hard miles and still going strong.
When my trans was really hot and I was running Royal Purple, I'd get a grind.

Switched to Redline MT 90 and my trans is sooooo much better in bitter cold and extreme hot.

·
Registered
189 Posts
It gets so cold up here that even after warming up for a few minutes I have to take it easy for the first mile or so... but then again I see -40 degree weather

·
Registered
538 Posts
It was -11ºF here overnight and though the clutch felt like the hydraulic fluid was replaced with really stiff springs, it all still worked properly, no big deal, it just took extra effort.

·
Premium Member
1,669 Posts
Yesterday morning it was -19F at my house and when I shifted into reverse it wouldn't engage, so I went into 1st no problem, then back into reverse and it engaged. No issues after that.

·
Admin
8,477 Posts
Also be cautious about using your parking brake... I'd avoid using it in the cold as the cable can freeze up and you'll end up on your back in the snow yanking and banging on yer wire ;)

·
Premium Member
1,831 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
so you shipped your FJ from CA to Hawaii to Japan? Im totally curious, how much did that cost? and how did you go about doing it?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts