Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my 2010 FJ for almost three months now, about 3500 miles on it so far. What I've noticed about my fuel gauge is that it appears to show completely empty when there's still 3-4 gallons of gas in it. I suspect the warning light is coming on when there is still more than 5 gallons. I get about 100-110 miles before the needle drops 1/4 on the gauge, then it drops 1/4 for each additional 50-60 miles. If I ignore the gauge I can get over 350 miles on one tank of combined city/highway miles but the last 80 or so miles is after then needle has dropped below empty. Is this normal for the rest of you?

·
fka rsidey
926 Posts
I can't bring myself to push it past 310 miles on a tank. I'll fill up and still only put in about 16 gal.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Yah, I think the light comes on with 4 gallons left in the tank. Toyota is big on being the nanny.
Most cars I've owned have had 3-4 gallon fuel lights. Personally, I don't like to push it just to see how far I can go on a tank. No real need and it isn't like you are saving yourself money beyond perhaps a few cents from a lightened vehicle. Then again you'd be better off just removing the spare tire or something as it would likely save you even more over the long haul. (Until you got a flat and needed it)

·
Registered
145 Posts
Looks to be some variation on the fuel gauge when the light comes on. Mine still has approx. 1.5 gallons left when the light comes on..........that's based on a 19 gallon tank and me "stuffing" the tank when I refill.

My FJC is new (just got it in eary January) so I've only put a few tanks through it, but I've checked it closely the last 3 tanks and the 1.5 gallons remaining when the light comes on has been consistent. :)

I would actually prefer to have another gallon in tank when the light comes on..... I only have about 25 to 30 miles max before I run out of gas!!

·
Registered
297 Posts
I've had my 2010 FJ for almost three months now, about 3500 miles on it so far. What I've noticed about my fuel gauge is that it appears to show completely empty when there's still 3-4 gallons of gas in it. I suspect the warning light is coming on when there is still more than 5 gallons. I get about 100-110 miles before the needle drops 1/4 on the gauge, then it drops 1/4 for each additional 50-60 miles. If I ignore the gauge I can get over 350 miles on one tank of combined city/highway miles but the last 80 or so miles is after then needle has dropped below empty. Is this normal for the rest of you?
Sumbich, you get much better mileage than I do :flame: . My 2010 will possibly squeak out 250 mile out of a tank. But yeah, the light does come on at about 4-5 gallons left. At E, I'm putting in 17 gallons so theres two gallons left in there.

You have any mods like a cold air intake or cat back? Post like this make me question why the he11 my FJ gets such lousy mileage with 6K on the odometer.

·
Premium Member
1,787 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi, all - Toyota customer service told me tonight that the large Toyota trucks like the Tundra and FJ are designed to have 5 gallons left when the light comes on. Took them a while to find the answer, though, and there didn't seem to be a lot of conviction in the response. Time to test for myself.
Cheers,
Mike

·
Registered
6,957 Posts
My yellow warning light comes on right around 190 mi. That's after I spent the extra 5 min. pumping gas into the tank witout it spewing out the filler neck!

I have yet to run it out of fuel and I hope I never have too...But I really would like to know...How much fuel is actually left in reserve when the Friggen low fuel indicator light comes on!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts