Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok guys say your in dirt(lots of it) and you decide to see what the FJ can do.......stpped in the dirt you crank the wheel as far to the right as it can possibly go and hit the gas to do some donuts in the sand.......is this ok in 4H or not such a good idea?? will I ruin anything?

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
i dont think you will hurt anything as long as you are in sand or mud as the sand/mud will give and allow your wheels to do what they do....traction will be reduced so no worries. On pavement or other high traction surfaces you will likely cause a little unneeded wear and tear. LOL

why do you ask? where you in deep sand and did this? Did something break....

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
no I wasnt in to deep of sand but I was in plenty of it.....I just wanted to get it a little with my cousin and I in the FJ.....when I gunned it I heard like a grinding noise and immediately stoped.......I didnt know if it was ok, nothing broken......just looking to see if its ok do do stuff like that in 4H

·
Premium Member
3,185 Posts
There's really no reason NOT to be in 4WD when you're on dirt. Yes, there's some recommendations about not exceeding speeds of about 50, but that's probably more about controlling the vehicle than it is about taking care of it mechanically. It's a theoretical consideration for me, since I don't drive fast on dirt, so I don't honestly know what handling characteristics are imposed at speed in 4WD... You'll have to get that info from a *different* kind of nut case than yours truly.

I'm not exactly sure what sound you heard, but if you've got upsized tires, then it's likely to have been the sound of rubbing somewhere. Either on the body mount or the frame or the upper control arm. Those are the most likely places. If you were on some uneven ground or your suspension was working a bit, it may have even been in the roof of the wheel well or along the inside edge of the plastic fender flare.

Take a close look at these spots and see if they've had any sanding or polishing recently from the tire.

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
I would personally never have the wheel all the way cranked to one side and be hard on the gas in 4hi or 4lo. You are putting the (i believe it is) CV joint at it's maximum angle and then sending it a ton of torque if you are hitting the gas.
Not saying this will break it, but it will wear it out a LOT faster than if you only hit the gas hard while the wheels are less turned.

·
Registered
610 Posts
I would personally never have the wheel all the way cranked to one side and be hard on the gas in 4hi or 4lo. You are putting the (i believe it is) CV joint at it's maximum angle and then sending it a ton of torque if you are hitting the gas.
Not saying this will break it, but it will wear it out a LOT faster than if you only hit the gas hard while the wheels are less turned.
Ya it would be more likely to break it if your on a grippy surface like flat rocks or concrete, because theres no central diff in the transfer case(thats where they are in the MT?) of the AT so the tires have to slip to make up for difference between the front and rear axle speeds. That puts a lot of load on the cv joints

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
that grinding i bet was ATRAC working except for the fact you said 4H and not 4L so that is out........so I bet it is a tire rubbing if you have larger tires on it. I am not sure what the VSC sounds like when it is working or if it will work in 4H even....

I am sure you are okay but like BellyDoc said...look for rub spots on rubber mudflap, uppercontrolarms and other areas that tire is near with wheels fully turned and sitting still.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,888 Posts
ok guys say your in dirt(lots of it) and you decide to see what the FJ can do.......stpped in the dirt you crank the wheel as far to the right as it can possibly go and hit the gas to do some donuts in the sand.......is this ok in 4H or not such a good idea?? will I ruin anything?
I know many here will disagree with me, but I fix these things for a living.
What the FJ can do is be a fantastic off-road vehicle, but it is not a hot rod or a motorcycle to toss around in the dirt. You will be treating your $30G piece of precision machinery like a toy, and you will stress it in ways it was not designed to function. CV joints are not designed to be at full turn under power for any length of time, and slamming the gas with the wheels cranked will break things over time, including the CV joints, axles, and differential components. The computerized ABS system will prevent power slides anyway, so you will need to disable it to "spin it" in the dirt. The weakess point of the CV and steering system is at full crank to either side - that's where you should apply power very gently to prevent damage. Have fun, but be ready to pay to play...

·
Registered
163 Posts
The grinding was the TRAC system. No damage, but it's designed to keep the FJ straight. Most people don't want to do donuts.

·
Registered
610 Posts
I hope it was the trac system. Did it sound like ABS or VSC?
trac just aplies a bit of breaking to wheels that loose traction. VSC is the one that keeps the FJ straight.

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
I know many here will disagree with me, but I fix these things for a living.
What the FJ can do is be a fantastic off-road vehicle, but it is not a hot rod or a motorcycle to toss around in the dirt. You will be treating your $30G piece of precision machinery like a toy, and you will stress it in ways it was not designed to function. CV joints are not designed to be at full turn under power for any length of time, and slamming the gas with the wheels cranked will break things over time, including the CV joints, axles, and differential components. The computerized ABS system will prevent power slides anyway, so you will need to disable it to "spin it" in the dirt. The weakess point of the CV and steering system is at full crank to either side - that's where you should apply power very gently to prevent damage. Have fun, but be ready to pay to play...
x2 I mean, i don't fix this stuff for a living, but apparently CruiserLarry does and we have the same point of view.
I have heard many times that at full crank of the wheel, gassing it is the worst thing you can do to the front end. If you want to crank the wheel all the way and do donuts, unplug the traction control plug that goes into the brake master cylinder, put it in 2wd and then do donuts. A lot less stress on the front end now.

You can distinguish TRAC, by it sounding like a repeated clicking noise. A grinding noise is probably not trac.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
The grinding was the TRAC system. No damage, but it's designed to keep the FJ straight. Most people don't want to do donuts.
TRAC has nothing to do with keeping the FJC straight, that is the job of the VSC (Vehicle Stability Control) system. TRAC uses the brakes to keep all 4 wheels under power and pulling.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
My $.02

I'm very new to the FJ world (4 months), but one thing I can tell you is "it ain't no jeep".. especially with regard to spinning, slipping and sliding. I'm accustomed to drifting and spinning all the time with my jeeps, but the FJ just won't do it. I've been trying to get the FJ to spin or slide on pavement since January and the thing is amazing. I like to know where a vehicle will break loose, in order to avoid it. Last week, during a lot of rain and wet pavement, I did both. I was sitting on a slick hill (~40 degrees) waiting to turn right (~20 degrees) so I thought.. this is the time. I just goosed it (automatic) enough to break the right rear loose. It spun about 1/2 turn, grunted/ground/made strange noises and shot up the hill.. so much for that.. A bit later on a slick interstate ramp, where everything always slides, I pressed it hard enough to swap ends over and over with my jeeps and it seemed to slide about 1/2" (inch), made some other noises and speed on off the ramp.

In a nutshell.. I'm a spinner/slider and have been all my like, but the FJ just ain't into such stuff. It's so sticky, it scary.. Best to let it do it's thing and drift/spin in something else.. At least on pavement.. Ron

thank you guys!!

·
Registered
194 Posts
Re: My $.02

I'm very new to the FJ world (4 months), but one thing I can tell you is "it ain't no jeep".. especially with regard to spinning, slipping and sliding. I'm accustomed to drifting and spinning all the time with my jeeps, but the FJ just won't do it. I've been trying to get the FJ to spin or slide on pavement since January and the thing is amazing. I like to know where a vehicle will break loose, in order to avoid it. Last week, during a lot of rain and wet pavement, I did both. I was sitting on a slick hill (~40 degrees) waiting to turn right (~20 degrees) so I thought.. this is the time. I just goosed it (automatic) enough to break the right rear loose. It spun about 1/2 turn, grunted/ground/made strange noises and shot up the hill.. so much for that.. A bit later on a slick interstate ramp, where everything always slides, I pressed it hard enough to swap ends over and over with my jeeps and it seemed to slide about 1/2" (inch), made some other noises and speed on off the ramp.

In a nutshell.. I'm a spinner/slider and have been all my like, but the FJ just ain't into such stuff. It's so sticky, it scary.. Best to let it do it's thing and drift/spin in something else.. At least on pavement.. Ron
I think some people have tried Sliding with the new JK & it's No Go with the "ESP"....the older Jeeps drift all you want in 2WD, but the new JK will fight that problem / fun factor..

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
Re: My $.02

One of the many reasons that I now have a FJ and no Jeeps.. They are no longer old school vehicles and just not the best (IMO) at new school.. No disrespect to the JK owners, just my experience/opinion. Ron

I think some people have tried Sliding with the new JK & it's No Go with the "ESP"....the older Jeeps drift all you want in 2WD, but the new JK will fight that problem / fun factor..

1 - 20 of 22 Posts