Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After searching and reading lots of threads, I've still got some questions.

I want to install heated seats, and also want to get some new seat covers. I'll probably go with Wet Okole for their lumbar support. However, their heated seats look really clunky in implementation. They need two 12v outlets! There's only one in our FJs (unless modded). So I'd rather have something that has cleanly installed toggle buttons and wired directly into power.

I can get heated seat elements with the switches I want easily. Should they be installed into the OEM seats, or somehow slipped into the Wet Okole covers? If they're in the original seats, will they be effective through the thicker padding of the new covers?

I really like the look of Clazzio seat covers, but they don't have lumbar even though they seem to have better implemented seat heaters.

What's your experience been with this?

·
Premium Member
1,028 Posts
I did my heated seats recently following this thread http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/tech-articles-staging-area/240649-fresh-thread-heated-seat-install.html. It looks more daunting that it really is, take your time and go slow and it comes out really nice. On the "High" setting I can feel it well through a thick Carhart jacket, so seat covers should be no problem.

Install took 4 hours with a friend, and another hour for the wiring. Mounted the switches in my dash, see pic below. The heated seat kit, and ring tool cost me under $80.

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/tech-articles-staging-area/240649-fresh-thread-heated-seat-install.html

Attachments

·
Premium Member
862 Posts
Personally, if you want leather and heated seats, I would go for Katzkin Seat Covers with the heater option. They are excellent quality leather seats (they replace the OEM covers as opposed to slipping over them which I think is superior). They're still on my wish list for my FJC but I do have a set on my Frontier (without heater) that show minimal wear (but some unavoidable fading in the Southwest) over a decade.

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
Go with the Katzkin heated leather seats. I've had them on my 2013 since new (2-1/2 years) and have not regretted it. Save your money and go with those.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the responses!

I went to check out the Katzkins, but they don't list the FJ in their options. Odd.

For now I'll probably go with heating elements slipped under some wet suit CoverKings from Costco. Save up for a higher end leather solution.

The step by step heater installation post is super helpful. When the weather is warmer and I can work outside again I'll have to do that project.

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
I just opened the Katzkin website. If you select SUV on the top tray on the home page, another page pops up showing four vehicles (none are FJ Cruisers). Select "Start". You will now be offered a choice of selecting year, manufacturer and model. FJ Cruiser is listed.
The pricing is about $1200 to $2900 depending on options for heat, cooling and how many seats you are doing (front, back or just fronts).
Again, I had them installed when I purchased my vehicle and they were worth and still are worth the money. A perfect match to the interior and looks completely factory OEM.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just opened the Katzkin website. If you select SUV on the top tray on the home page, another page pops up showing four vehicles (none are FJ Cruisers). Select "Start". You will now be offered a choice of selecting year, manufacturer and model. FJ Cruiser is listed.
The pricing is about $1200 to $2900 depending on options for heat, cooling and how many seats you are doing (front, back or just fronts).
Again, I had them installed when I purchased my vehicle and they were worth and still are worth the money. A perfect match to the interior and looks completely factory OEM.
@Alpine FJ, then something is screwy with how the Katzkin website loads for me in multiple browsers. I did the same sequence you described, but no FJ. https://www.dropbox.com/s/8i6ys0x9266wzap/Screenshot 2016-12-22 08.11.36.png?dl=0

·
Premium Member
862 Posts
Check out shopsar.com. They sell Katzkin and they have a straightforward website. I optioned out a set of covers for my 2008 with heated seats for under $1200. You would have to install yourself or take to an upholsterer.

Reactions: aranamac

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
@Alpine FJ, then something is screwy with how the Katzkin website loads for me in multiple browsers. I did the same sequence you described, but no FJ. https://www.dropbox.com/s/8i6ys0x9266wzap/Screenshot 2016-12-22 08.11.36.png?dl=0
Okay, I've tried different ways of opening the Katzkin site and I'm not finding any issues. I'm using a Mac and I have no problems with the pull down menus. Two ways to get in: Select "Interiors" at the top tray on the home page or click on "Start" in the center of the page. "Start" seems to be the quickest way in and like the "Interiors" in the top tray, you can select the vehicle manufacturer and model. I did find that they start with the 2011 models before FJ Cruiser shows up on the Toyota list. Seats should be the same for earlier models.

Hope this helps. Good luck with your seat upgrades and keep us all posted!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That's it! They don't list FJs before 2011. Odd hiccup in their system. Maybe I'll email them about it. Thanks for sharing what you saw.

It'll probably be a while before we can get the interior properly reupholstered with leather (budget! American health care costs!), but that definitely looks like an excellent solution.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts