Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a wiring question: I bought the wolo bad boy on amazon and want to install it. I watched the install video from one of the users here: mrgunsngear. At one point in the video, he talks about needing an 8” extension wire to attach to the plug that was cut off.
My question is what exactly is an extension wire and where do I get one? Would it work if I cut up an old extension cord or do I need something special?

·
Registered
8,144 Posts
I would have to see the video to know what exactly was meant,what plug was cut off, etc. Typically automotive wire from the auto parts store is used, but an old extention cord would likely work. Check the condition of the insulation though.

I will look for the video.

·
Registered
2011 FJ - Iceberg White
66 Posts
I watched the video. He's just referring to using any wire to extend the factory wire. You "could" use a conductor from an old extension cord, but I would not suggest it unless you can determine the insulation material. Automotive wire typically has polyvinyl chloride (PVC) insulation that is highly durable and resistant to grease, oil, and acids. Just go to your local auto parts store and pick some up, it's not expensive. While you're there, buy some appropriately sized butt connectors (heat shrink type if available) so you can splice the wire properly. Also grab some female, spade quick connect connectors to attach to the horn itself.

Another option is just to find a mount point that is closer to the factory wire so you don't need to extend it.

The factory wire is positive only, so you will need to make a wire with a quick connect on one end, and a ring terminal connector on the other for ground. You can ground to any exposed metal on the frame or engine block.

Good luck, send pics of you get stuck.

Sent from my S3_Pro using Tapatalk

1 - 3 of 3 Posts