Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently brought my 08 automatic to Service Pro (Fast Lube) for an oil change. I asked for synthetic, as my understanding was that the life was twice as long as regular oil. The garage used 530SYN, but indicated that I should change my oil again just 5K miles later. This is the same interval as regular oil. Does this make sense to anyone? Should I be good to go for 8-10K daily driver miles with synthetic?

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
I recently brought my 08 automatic to Service Pro (Fast Lube) for an oil change. I asked for synthetic, as my understanding was that the life was twice as long as regular oil. The garage used 530SYN, but indicated that I should change my oil again just 5K miles later. This is the same interval as regular oil. Does this make sense to anyone? Should I be good to go for 8-10K daily driver miles with synthetic?

Makes no sense to me to change again at 5K. 8-10k on syn. is good. But here we go again. You'll see what I mean when\if others respond.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
There's a good thread in the Maintenance Tech section called "Synthetic Oil" (should be on the front page) that discusses this. Basically there are 2 different opinions.

1) With a modern engine (FJ) and synthetic oil you can go 5-10k miles, depending on how "harsh" your drive is and what your comfortable with. Some people go 10k, changing the filter at 5k and topping off the oil. Some use extended service oil and go as long as 15k.

2) Toyota doesn't care about your engine life and has extended the oil interval for 10+ models to 10k miles b/c "technically" it's ok, but is really only good for those driving under perfect conditions. If you have an 07-09 you should change at 3k and for a 10+ at 5k miles, even with synthetic.

Personally I'm in group 1. I run Castrol Syntec 5w30 and change ~6k miles. I plan on going to M1 5w40 or Syntec 0w-30 (if I can find it) and may go 10k miles with a filter change at 5k. But honestly, unless you drive in harsh conditions (stop and go, extreme heat, towing a lot) you should be fine for ~8k miles. But I would definitely ask what synthetic they use. I'm switching from Syntec 5w30 b/c I've heard it's not that good of a synthetic. The Syntec 0w-30 and Mobile 1 (any weight) get high ranks on this forum. Haven't seen anyone using Pennzoil or Valvoline, though that doesn't mean they're bad products.

·
Premium Member
8,285 Posts
All synthetic oils are not created equal. Educate yourself on the differences before you try extended drain intervals. Bob Is The Oil Guy is a good online resource to start your research: Welcome

Ever since a judge ruled that Castrol could label one of their synthetic-blend oils as full-synthetic, you can't rely on manufacturers claims of being synthetic without more research or testing. I have no idea what "530SYN" even is. But if you use a high-quality true 100% synthetic oil, then yes extended drain intervals are easily possible with no harm to the engine (and in fact better protection).

·
Registered
9 Posts
I recently had the opportunity to tour the Royal Purple facility in Houston. I could write pages on my learnings of oil and lubricants. I thought I had a good understanding of these areas but I was mistaken.
Let me say that oil changes are or should be dictated by the type and size of the filtration system. Oil doesn't really wear out, it just gets dirty. You'd be better served to change your filter more often than your oil, regardless of the type.

·
Premium Member
6,519 Posts
I recently had the opportunity to tour the Royal Purple facility in Houston. I could write pages on my learnings of oil and lubricants. I thought I had a good understanding of these areas but I was mistaken.
Let me say that oil changes are or should be dictated by the type and size of the filtration system. Oil doesn't really wear out, it just gets dirty. You'd be better served to change your filter more often than your oil, regardless of the type.
Oil doesn't really loose it's "lubricity" but the additives in the oil sure do get depleted over use. I agree, that your better off using top notch oil filters. Changing oil filters too often can actually defeat your purpose since oil filters typically filter 'better' once they have a few thousand miles on them.

DEWFPO

·
Premium Member
439 Posts
Ques: Need your opinion. I have 2011 FJ and as you guys know Toyota calls for 0w-20 Synthetic (which it comes with) changed at 10K. I have no intention on leaving in that long (I'm old school). I'll change at 5K with filter. The light weight oil is scary though. Its like water. In talking to some Toyota people they say Toyota did this to help comply with fuel mileage rules and not really because it lubes better. In fact, if you read the Toyota oil container (which parts guy says is made by Mobile 1) it says this blend (0w-20) helps with fuel mileage. So......I was thinking of going with 5w-20 or 5w-30 (Mobile 1) since I live in Florida and I dont need cranking power at 20 below. I rather have slightly better lubrication protection than an extra 1/2 MPG. Summer in Florida gets damn hot. Any thoughts. Remember back in the day running 20w-40 or straight 40w in our high school hot rods?

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
So......I was thinking of going with 5w-20 or 5w-30 (Mobile 1) since I live in Florida and I dont need cranking power at 20 below. I rather have slightly better lubrication protection than an extra 1/2 MPG. Summer in Florida gets damn hot. Any thoughts. Remember back in the day running 20w-40 or straight 40w in our high school hot rods?
Haha well no, since high school for me was 4 years ago :lol:

With that in mind, from all the knowledge I've gained from this forum, I'd say you're fine running 5W-20 for sure. My girlfriends V8 F-150 uses 5W-20, so I'm sure in modern engines it lubes just fine. And yeah, the M1 0W-20 and 0W-30 bottles say "high mileage".

As far as going up to a 5W-30, idk. I'm currently running 0W-40 in my '07 FJ (calls for 5W-30), and I considered running 5W-40 as others have, so the 07-09 engines can definitely handle a range of oil weights. Just not sure how the new '10+ engines will handle the thicker oil, and idk if anyone on this forum has extensive oil knowledge with the 10+ engines. Someone's got to try it, right? :rocker:

·
Premium Member
439 Posts
Thanks for the above advice and thoughts. I finally read "Bob the oil Guys" web site on synthetics and all the comparisons with different multi-grades. Excellent info and cleared up much misconception I had built up over the years on oil grades. Bottom line for my 2011 FJ, the Mobile 1 0w-20 is the perfect oil for the engine. It has been designated by Toyota because it provides excellent cold starts (and yes ambient temps of 75 deg. are considered a cold start) and provides perfect lubrication and cooling properties at running temps. So that article answered all my ques. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I also couldnt believe how running too heavy an oil or the wrong oil effected MPG.

·
Registered
535 Posts
I would rather change the oil every 5k miles if it means putting less wear and tear on my engine. I spent all the money on the FJ, so I would like to protect it the best I can.

D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts