Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i got my fj recently my key is the big black one with the panic button and the unlock doors buttons on it and i would like to know if i can make a double of the key. i heard from my friend that theres a chip in the big black part that wont let you start it without the black key. i just wanted to know if there was any truth in that.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Mine came with (2) of the mentioned keys and a "valet" key, which is just a normal key without the bells and wistles. I don't see why you couldn't make a duplicate. :wave:

·
Registered
5,495 Posts
There is a chip in the key. There is a code that you will need, my keys came with a metal tag on the key ring with a 5 digit code. I was told I need this code for replacement keys.:cheers:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There is a chip in the key. There is a code that you will need, my keys came with a metal tag on the key ring with a 5 digit code. I was told I need this code for replacement keys.:cheers:
thanks but mine didnt come with any code device just the black key with the 3 buttons on it panic, door open, door lock, i dont know if it makes a difference thanks again:bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
13,482 Posts
My keys came with a tag also - but my keys have no chips.

Here any dealer will sell you a key as long as you provide proof of ownership, generly being there with the FJ and reg papers works the best.

·
Banned
290 Posts
You can make duplicates that will do everything a plain key will do. It will open your doors (manually) and start the truck. If you want a key with buttons that work, you need to go to the dealer, as far as I know.

TT

·
Registered
166 Posts
I just checked my secret spare key stash. My 2008 TT came with 3 keys. Two "big Black" and one smaller gray Vallet PLUS a little metal code plate hanging on the ring (5 digits). Dealer told me not to lose it because the black keys have chips and would be expensive to replace. The code proves its yours and they know how to set the key up. I wrote myself a note and attched it to the spares because I knew I would forget it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
sorry to revive this thread from the grave... I only have one black key (no buttons on it)... does this key have a chip inside (transponder key?) if a make a regular copy (plain metal key, any hardware store, regular key blank) will it start the truck?

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
sorry to revive this thread from the grave... I only have one black key (no buttons on it)... does this key have a chip inside (transponder key?) if a make a regular copy (plain metal key, any hardware store, regular key blank) will it start the truck?
2007 are only years withut the chip in key and separate remote fob from they key.

·
Registered
6 Posts
You can also go to a locksmith as long as they have the computer to re-flash your ECU. My company charges $75.66 for a standard head key programmed (no remote).

Also Layonn is correct 2008+ had the chip in the key.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Dealer key replacement costs are really high. Assuming it's the same as for our Lexus vehicles we've had (looks identical), the valet key has a transponder and the other keys have the transponder to allow the car to start and the chip for remote functions.

On the Lexus' (Lexuses? Lexi?), we lost our transponder key and one full function key, so I bought a replacement key on Ebay and had it cut to match. Online, I found a somewhat complicated series of steps I could do to make the transponder and/or remote functions work. Things like "press gas and brake pedals 5x", then within 20 seconds, "press gas pedal 2x", etc... About 5-7 steps starting with a working key. I you don't have a working key, it's not so easy.

Worked great and I was able to get a perfectly functioning transponder key and remote key.

About $75 for the full functioning key and much much less for the transponder key.

I'm assuming you can do something similar for the FJ, but I don't know for sure.

·
Registered
16 Posts
mine is a 2007... can I asume there is no chip in it and a blank regular (metal, plain duplicate) will start engine? THANKS GUYS!
jgbnm: great info... had no idea there was a DIY procedure

·
Registered
50 Posts
My 2010 FJ is chipped. My Solstice was chipped. The Escape was chipped. The key replacement is cheap. The labor to program the CAR (and yes I do mean CAR) to accept the key is ridiculous. On the Escape it was a series of on/off with a working key then on/off with the new key--don't remember the exact sequence. I imagine there is a similar procedure on the Toyota. Anyone?

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
mine is a 2007... can I asume there is no chip in it and a blank regular (metal, plain duplicate) will start engine? THANKS GUYS!
jgbnm: great info... had no idea there was a DIY procedure
Yes, you assume correct.No chip in the 07 key. Yes a blank regular (metal,plain duplicate) will start engine.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Somewhat on topic, Has anyone used any of the switchblade enclosures? It looks like you take the chip out of the original key and insert it into the switchblade case? Anyone do this mod on a 2010 key?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Same here!
Your salesman is joyriding your car at night:jester:

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
I could be very wrong here, but I think if you have the normal engine immobilizer (you can tell, because if you do, when you turn off the truck and remove the key from the ignition there is a dash light that starts blinking until you replace the key in the ignition) if you don't have the blinking light, the store-bought metal key might work.

Jerry. Good Luck

1 - 20 of 26 Posts