Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a practical question.

I've got a Warn M8000 winch on the floor in the garage. I've got a Road Armor titan bumper. How to I get the winch into the bumper and then get the winch+bumper onto the FJ. Here are the limitations:

1) I want to finish in a week
2) My local 4x4 shop has no time to fit me in
3) I have just myself this week
4) Installing the RA bumper by itself by myself was kind of hard and not very safe.

Tools: 4 ton jack stands (bumper on stands is not stable), hydraulic jack (not enough height to get up to bumper range).

There's a Northern Tool and Harbor Freight nearby, but I didn't notice any dolly apparatuses that you might use to lift an engine or anything.

Wait until the shop schedule is open? Ask one of my geriatric neighbors to invite their grandsons over to help?

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
I'd go with the geriatric neighbors grandson. I did my Demello plate bumper with a Titan 12K winch and 90' of synthetic line by myself. It wasn't fun. Luckily with my height I walked the thing right onto the six mounting studs with the arms straight. Also the single loop on the bumper helped as a lifting handle. It's not worth hurting yourself doing it alone. Get some help please. :mecry:
If you were at my work right now I'd use a forktruck to do the job. You don't have access to one do you ?

·
Registered
260 Posts
Where I come from a 12 pack of Micro Brew and a rack of ribs would bring help from ANYWHERE. Good luck but you definitely need more people to do it safely.

How much space would it give you to remove the front grill after the bumper is on. I don't know how tight the Titan bumper tubing is but removing the grill gave me all the space I needed to add the winch after my bumper was installed. Hope that helps and don't forget pics when it's done.

Good luck, be safe.
Tim

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Oh come on guys... he said Macgyver...

1. Remove factory bumper with nothing more than an ancient, hand carved, wodden socket set you found on your last excursion to Central America and Swiss Army Knife, it must be a genuine Swiss Army Knife.
2. Duct/Electrical tape the edges of the fenders so you don't scratch/ding them while installing the new bumper (must be duct or electrical tape, because they're the handyman's secret weapons)... in a pinch you can chew grass until it's moist and workable to 'stucko' over the high consequence areas
3. Mount winch to bumper
4. Plug in the winch
5. Hang a snatch block from the rafters in your garage a nearby low hanging tree branch or other suitable yet precarious overhead beam, preferably using a tree strap as to not damage wooden rafters (tread lightly)
6. Winch line up and over through the snatch block, connecting to a WLL rated d-ring on your bumper, snug the screw pin, but don't wrench on it like a gorilla
7. Use your winch line dampening device (your signature leather jacket maybe?)... optional if you're using synthetic line, bonus points if you're using some kind of retired air craft carrier steel cabling from the cold war
8. Clear the area, rely on a SINGLE spotter and raise the winch/bumper to the height of the bumper mounts, make a slightly ****y, yet educational comment (to the empty prison of a garage/workspace/etc) about doubling your winch pulling power with the snatch block from step five (5)
9. position the bumper on the mounts
10. Using your trusty Swiss Army Knife/wooden socket set again (you did get the version that has a full size torque wrench right?) torque down a couple of the mounting nuts, enough to hold it in place, I've found the top two on each size of the frame rails is plenty
11. Unhook your winch line slowly to ensure your bolts can handle the weight
12. Torque up the rest of the mounting nuts/bolts
13. Pack up your gear properly, re-oiling moving, mechanical parts
14. You'll want to spool your winch line under a vehicle-weight load, find a slight incline with a tree/stump/etc and go to town
15. Cut the blue wire (it's always the blue wire)
16. Go save some under-privileged children from the oppression of a violent dictator that's constantly smoking cigars, it would best serve the plot to somehow include your new winch in the recovery of said children
17. Collect royalties 25 years from now and laugh all the way to the bank

Glad I could help! :cheers:

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Now that must have taken a long time to type. But I like it. :lol::thinkerg:
And only 17 steps to MacGyver it.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Hahahahahahahahaha, oh man that was great. (as I wipe tears from my eyes). I vote best answer ever! :clap:

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Jeff....
Dude...

Best response ever!! :cheers:

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Obviously, the best answer is don't do it by yourself.

You said MacGyver, but aside from truck/bumper/winch, we have no idea what is at your disposal. I use my swiss army knife almost every day!

Personally, if you were just looking to knock it out, by yourself with no help, assuming you don't have a tree branch or rafter or something like that to use, go by homedepot, pick up about 15ish bucks worth of 2x4s. Build a simple frame, like a playground swing, use some come-alongs to hoist up the bumper, attach the winch, pull your fj up, bolt it on. then figure out what other fun things you can do with your frame.

·
Premium Member
4,294 Posts

1. Remove factory bumper with nothing more than an ancient, hand carved, wodden socket set you found on your last excursion to Central America and Swiss Army Knife, it must be a genuine Swiss Army Knife.
2. Duct/Electrical tape the edges of the fenders so you don't scratch/ding them while installing the new bumper (must be duct or electrical tape, because they're the handyman's secret weapons)... in a pinch you can chew grass until it's moist and workable to 'stucko' over the high consequence areas
3. Mount winch to bumper
4. Plug in the winch
5. Hang a snatch block from the rafters in your garage a nearby low hanging tree branch or other suitable yet precarious overhead beam, preferably using a tree strap as to not damage wooden rafters (tread lightly)
6. Winch line up and over through the snatch block, connecting to a WLL rated d-ring on your bumper, snug the screw pin, but don't wrench on it like a gorilla
7. Use your winch line dampening device (your signature leather jacket maybe?)... optional if you're using synthetic line, bonus points if you're using some kind of retired air craft carrier steel cabling from the cold war
8. Clear the area, rely on a SINGLE spotter and raise the winch/bumper to the height of the bumper mounts, make a slightly ****y, yet educational comment (to the empty prison of a garage/workspace/etc) about doubling your winch pulling power with the snatch block from step five (5)
9. position the bumper on the mounts
10. Using your trusty Swiss Army Knife/wooden socket set again (you did get the version that has a full size torque wrench right?) torque down a couple of the mounting nuts, enough to hold it in place, I've found the top two on each size of the frame rails is plenty
11. Unhook your winch line slowly to ensure your bolts can handle the weight
12. Torque up the rest of the mounting nuts/bolts
13. Pack up your gear properly, re-oiling moving, mechanical parts
14. You'll want to spool your winch line under a vehicle-weight load, find a slight incline with a tree/stump/etc and go to town
15. Cut the blue wire (it's always the blue wire)
16. Go save some under-privileged children from the oppression of a violent dictator that's constantly smoking cigars, it would best serve the plot to somehow include your new winch in the recovery of said children
17. Collect royalties 25 years from now and laugh all the way to the bank

Glad I could help! :cheers:

Classic. That took alot more patience than I have to think up and type; but the juice was worth the squeeze.:lol:

·
Registered
875 Posts

Victorinox or Wenger?

·
Registered
126 Posts
I understand that your bumper is a great deal larger than my Lucrum. I used a motorcycle jack to lift mine in place because it lifts even on both sides and can be rolled into place. It would also make taking off the bumper easier as well. You can slide the jack under the bumper strap the bumper to the jack. Unbolt bumper and roll the jack with bumper away from truck. Install winch and just roll it back to the truck and bolt up.
1,500 lb. Motorcycle Jack - T66751X at The Home Depot

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
Engine hoist is my preferred tool ;)
X2!

Go to Northern Tool and buy a decent engine hoist Nick. THey fold up to go against a wall and do not take much space. You can use it for all kinds of things. I made a longer boom for mine and use it to put the cab on the truggy.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Great ideas! I hadn't thought too hard about this or made too many trips to the store, just threw out the question to see how creative the group was. Holy cow, these are great responses!

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Victorinox or Wenger?
I prefer Victorinox, but MacGyver used both on the show, so either would work.

OP: For what it's worth, I put my bumper and winch on by myself with a floor jack and a couple blocks of wood, although I'm pretty sure it's a bit lighter than your setup. Once you get it on the 8 bolts coming out of the frame it doesn't take much to keep it there while you wrench on it.

·
Registered
574 Posts
I put my Road Armor bumper on myself, then put the (also an M8000) winch on. The laser cut out Road Armor logo gives access enough to bolt the winch down. I did have to use some universal joint sockets & remove the plastic grill if I remember right.

To lift the bumper I just modified an engine hoist with some ratcheting tie downs. The tie downs make minor adjustments easy when you are lining up the holes.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts