Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you ever find yours turning off sometimes because the voltage drops too low? My scangauge shows (yet to be verified with a multi meter) 13.3v a lot and from what I've read the hellroaring shuts off at 13.2. Does anyone else with a scangauge notice voltage this low when the car is running?

I've only been using it a few days but the other day while on the trail I noticed that the led was not illuminated. Turning it to combine would make it light up, so I knew the led was working correctly. Later in the day it lit up again.

Just looking for other experiences with hellroaring out there.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Mine has never shut down due to low voltage. I did have a problem with the LED going off and on though. The middle post on the electronic module had worked loose. I tightened it and no issues since. If you keep having problems, call the guys at Hellroaring. Their support is great!!

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
What is a hellroaring?

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well when it goes off I can instantly switch it to combine and the light will come back on, that tells me the connections should be fine? I'll check all the connections again when I get home. Thanks for the response.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
My LED would come on in "combined mode" too. Hopefully it is the middle connector. Let us know if that was it.
Gary

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
I can tomorrow or tonight, if no one does it before. I'll get voltage at both batt.
Sounds like my loose connector was not it.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah unfortunately. What's happening is the light on the hellroaring will not come on unless it sees 13.4v, sometimes my car only has 13.2-3 so it never "triggers". However I've just learned that the hellroaring isn't a dual isolator. It only isolates in one direction, which seems to completely remove the whole "automatic" thing anyway? I'll have to email Mike about that because I'm confused on what the automatic mode even does at this point.

Let me know what you see for voltage at idle, I'm curious.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Here you go:
Scan guage at idle 13.9 (cold engine)-idle drops with warm engine and scan guage falls to 13.7-13.8 (bounces back and forth). 13.7 warm engine, in drive, at a stop
At the batt posts:
14.1 cold, 14.0 warm engine, 14.0 in drive stopped. I don't keep my best meter in my truck tool box, but I think it is pretty accurate.

R2, I think you are on to something. Your alt output seems low.
Gary

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Called the dealer.. The alternator spec @2000 RPM is 13.2-14.8. That's one HELL of a range! CRAZY! I would think the regulator would keep the voltage high unless it became overloaded, but perhaps I'm mistaken?

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
That is a huge range and apparently the "normal" they use is @ 2K RPM, so it could be significantly lower at idle.
I think the regulator will keep the voltage fairly constant with different loads, but the current (amps) will change. I am sure the voltage varies some though. I am no alternator guru and could be wrong.
Ask Hellroaring about this. They might could provide a module with a lower voltage cut out as a swap-or have another suggestion.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
To my understanding (given very limited) is that the alternator regulates it via voltage. It's a voltage regulator. However, I'm still a bit confused there.

From what I can tell the voltage is higher when the batteries (or system is demanding) charge and lower when there isn't much draw. Although I always thought it was the other way around? I'm so very confused.. heh Thanks for posting yoru information though! Someone over on azfj had exactly the same thing I do 13.2v at idle. I still see 13.3 at 2K rpm.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
R2
Try loading your system with bright headlights and AC/fan on and see if you scan guage shows increased voltage-also see if the HR LED stays on when the system is loaded. My scanguage shows little variation with these manuevers. I do not know if the LED could go out if your secondary batt is taking no charge--my LED stays on constantly in the center position. I have gotten the LED to flash when I had a big load on my backup battery (I have a secondary fuse block on my back up battery and can run my Engle fridge and roof top lights off of that block)
You may have to drive with your headlights on and stereo loud to run the Hellroaring (ha!)
This is all interesting and I don't have the knowledge base to explain it. If you figure it out, let me know..

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well right now I think it's the voltage regulator. I saw pretty much 13.8v after the car had been turned off for over 24 hrs. The best I can tell right now is that the alternator/voltage regulator just doesn't put out much if there isn't any load on the system. I need to post in the elec section to see if I can find an alternator expert over there.

·
Premium Member
1,728 Posts
Have ya called Mike Hines up at Hellraring and asked him over the phone? He's helped talk me through a few situations that would have been a headache otheriwise.

call em at 406-883-3801

Do you ever find yours turning off sometimes because the voltage drops too low? My scangauge shows (yet to be verified with a multi meter) 13.3v a lot and from what I've read the hellroaring shuts off at 13.2. Does anyone else with a scangauge notice voltage this low when the car is running?

I've only been using it a few days but the other day while on the trail I noticed that the led was not illuminated. Turning it to combine would make it light up, so I knew the led was working correctly. Later in the day it lit up again.

Just looking for other experiences with hellroaring out there.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts