Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just about finished installing my Icon rear springs and struts. Springs are installed but I'm stuck at the strut installation. Do I reuse both the upper and lower grommets from the upper portion of the stock strut (that connect to the frame)? I ask because the lower grommet doesn't want to go onto the Icon strut- don't want to force anything. Please help :)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's the guide I have been using. The rear suspension didn't come with any new bushings for the top of the strut. I managed to get the old upper and lower installed (on the top side of the strut) but I don't have enough thread to get the top nut engaged.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the help guys but no luck. The sway bar is connected and the suspension is loaded. The lower bushing (on the top of the shock) is seated properly The upper bushing appears to be too thick and/or the Icon thread

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Can anyone confirm that the rear Icon stage 1 shocks come with bushings? Looking at the pictures online they appear to include bushings and nut (for the top). Mine did not- just a bare rod.

I have an alignment scheduled for the morning- should I just put the stock bilsteins back in temporarily (with the Icon coils) or should I shave the bushings down a bit to get the nut to fit? I don't plan on doing anything except street driving.

·
Premium Member
16,781 Posts
I would just put the stock shocks back on the rear to get the alignment rather than shave/cut anything.

Changing the shocks won't affect the ride height in the rear.

What rubber bushings are you using in that picture? The ones from the stock shocks?

·
Premium Member
16,781 Posts
Looks like you are reusing the stock bushings. That would be a no-no according to the install thread.

If your rear shocks did not come with new black bushings then you are missing parts.
It should look like this with the new bushings. Just throw your OEM shocks back on until you can get new bushings from ICON.

Or, just cut the top bushing in half. Either way you are going to have to almost remove the shock to get the new bushings on.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the responses guys.

Lanyonn- Thanks for the input. Yes, the pics have the stock bushings. I now realize that the bushings were never sent (no instructions included, so i assumed that the stock bushings were reused). I'm also wondering if these are refurbed shocks- no bushings or nuts and no labels. I'm not sure how they left Icons facility like this. I PMed Metal Tech and hopefully they can get the bushings sent out ASAP.
I left the Icon rear springs installed and reinstalled the OEM Bilstein silvers. I'm extremely concerned and frustrated with Icon and this situation. The shocks were sent without hardware or instructions (rear springs and front coilovers had instructions). I'm pretty sure I was sent some rebuilt/refurbs. It looks like Metal Tech got them and simply put a new shipping label on them so there was no way for them to know they were in this condition.

:(

·
Premium Member
16,781 Posts
Yeah, i've installed 3 or 4 different suspensions on FJs and my Land Cruiser and none of them have ever had instructions. That is what this forum is for :)

·
Premium Member
1,811 Posts
With the OP having mentioned that, and you having done multiple installs of Icon shocks - how many of them have had visible toolmarks on the main body, with only the movable parts (shaft, lower attachment point) appearing brand new?

Is it routine to sell rebuilt shock absorbers as new items?

·
Premium Member
16,781 Posts
With the OP having mentioned that, and you having done multiple installs of Icon shocks - how many of them have had visible toolmarks on the main body, with only the movable parts (shaft, lower attachment point) appearing brand new?

Is it routine to sell rebuilt shock absorbers as new items?
Haven't done any ICON suspension installs. Mainly OME or swapping in stock parts.

As far as the condition of the rear shocks, i have no idea.

I would just suggest that the OP give Mark or LT (If he bought the product from Metal-Tech) a call manana about the rear shocks and see what they have to say. I am sure they will take care of everything for failsafe.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Mark at Metal Tech came through :bigthumb:. He spoke to Icon and is having them overnight the bushings.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts