Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2007 FJ. I want to be lazy and run the rear facing camera's wire along the edge of the headliner from the rear to the front, but I assume with side curtain airbags this would be a bad thing? Or am I making too many ASSumptions and this would be acceptable?

I've already snaked a power wire from the dash to a rear facing light next to the spare under the door sill and under various things, but tucking a wire under the headliner sounds quicker and easier if it doesn't interfere with anything else. Thx.

·
Registered
222 Posts
2007 FJ. I want to be lazy and run the rear facing camera's wire along the edge of the headliner from the rear to the front, but I assume with side curtain airbags this would be a bad thing? Or am I making too many ASSumptions and this would be acceptable?

I've already snaked a power wire from the dash to a rear facing light next to the spare under the door sill and under various things, but tucking a wire under the headliner sounds quicker and easier if it doesn't interfere with anything else. Thx.
Running it in the headliner is fine. Your bigger issue is the pain running it through the boot in the rear door, taking the door panel off, and snaking the wire around the window to the top center. I did it and it took me an extra hour. Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,977 Posts
it is easy to remove the lower IP, kick panel and the scuff plates (they are all designed to be removed again and again, which is an awesome feature for a highly modified product like ours)

The only "hard" part is pulling the rear quarter trim out far enough to drape the wire from the rear of the access door to the edge of the back door. Note, though, that the trim is separated where the color changes, making it much easier to pull just that lower portion out for wire running access.

I found that part easiest after removing the rear seat cushion and folding the back down. Would have been much easier if I'd also removed the seat back but didn't.

If you run the wire down the passenger side, the back door scuff plate can also be easily removed to get across to the driver's side.

Then, like PIC4GOD said, the hard part, getting the wire through the grommet begins. I removed the jack, its bracket, the back door trim and the wiring in that area. Then, if you completely remove the grommet and its contents you can pull the washer hose out to make room, run the new wire(s), and then put the hose back and re-assemble everything. This extra step is especially useful if the new wire has a permanently attached connector that is large.

N

·
Registered
52 Posts
I made a bracket that holds the camera to the headliner just behind the rear dome light and ran the wire through the headliner. It was fairly easy using a long thin piece of wood with the wire taped to it.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I made a bracket that holds the camera to the headliner just behind the rear dome light and ran the wire through the headliner. It was fairly easy using a long thin piece of wood with the wire taped to it.
Can you take a picture of the bracket and how it's attached? I'm thinking about doing the same. Thanks.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I can and will. It may take a day or so until I can figure out how to post pictures. It is really simple to make out of a strip of aluminum and it attaches just by popping the light out and slipping the bent part of the bracket under the headliner. The picture will explain all.

·
Registered
52 Posts
This should be it. Just remove the rear dome light and slide it under the headliner then replace the dome light. Ran the wire to the front with a long thin stick.

Attachments

·
Registered
52 Posts
The picture is upside down. The portion to the bottom of the picture is the part that slides under the headliner.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts