Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

61 - 68 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #61 (Edited)
Confirmed, Curt receiver and WDH great combo. Return trip today, over the mtns. Trailer felt more integrated with the FJ, no porpoiseing, more smooth over bumps. Good investment for both.

·
Registered
21 Posts
@TL Johnson looking good! Did you have to put any airbags in the rear suspension to level things out or did the WDH seem to take care of that pretty well?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
Hi. No airbags or suspension upgrades or any new shocks. I put some photos on here somewhere last week showing the ride pretrip.

Just the curt and wdh did the trick, I also moved some weight like heavier folding chairs and the trailer tongue stand wood blocks from the rear of the FJ to behind the trailer single axle.

Trip was from salem oregon, over santiam pass hwy 20 to bend oregon and back. All good both ways. 3rd gear 40 mph at steepest parts.

Glad to have aux. Transmission cooler.

·
Registered
100 Posts
(Emphasis mine...)

So I'm a bit confused... if you stick with the OEM center-mounted hitch (even if temporarily), does it work with something like a Hensley Cub or ProPride 3P-600 (I like this design) or not? Some other stuff I've read indicates the entire point of the Hensley/ProPride design is to not require frame-mounted hitches, but maybe that's incorrect or I'm misunderstanding. Given the safety and stability benefits, the $2800 or whatever invested in these hitches seems pretty worthwhile. Better safe than sorry (or dead).

That said, the Draw-Tite hitch for the FJ doesn't seem terribly expensive and appears easy to install for sure. Definitely not a ton of $$$ relative to a ProPride...

Thanks for all the great info in this thread.
Sorry haven’t been on in a while because I actually sold my fj and bought a tundra crewmax. Got tired of overworking my fj towing. It just wasn’t intended for that. Anyways I actually have a Hensley arrow cub. You cannot use it with the OEM hitch because it has WD built into it. I had 800 lb spring bars and that would have been way to much upward WD tension on the oem hitch bolts. The Hensley eliminates sway which is the main danger of towing with the fj, but it also adds an extra 100 lbs of tongue weight. I felt my trailer was just a little iffy and to close to the capacities. Also the pro pride hitch is even heavier and the design doesn’t fully lock out. The Hensley does by means of the strut bars. Plus the pro pride hitch is more expensive and the owner is constantly negative and bad mouthing everyone. So that’s why I like Hensley better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
Good info, thank you.

For this setup here, the Camco R3 ReCurve 600 WdH and the Curt frame mount is a good setup so far. Good price on the R3 too.

Tundras are awesome. Had the TRD V8 access cab 2002.....until I bought a new over cab camper, big mistake, had to get a Chevy hd2500 for the camper
I think having the camper on a few trips did the tranny in, since it failed a couple years later. I liked that V8 a lot.

All the best on the Crewmax!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
....on thing I learned about the WDH. Very heavy to lift. I am no longer going to remove it every time I drop the trailer. Bought a locking pin for it too, so won't be stolen.

I was taking it off each time, storing in rv trailer compartment.

I hurt my back reaching into the compartment last week when I pulled it out while bending over at bad angle..hard lesson learned.

·
Registered
100 Posts
....on thing I learned about the WDH. Very heavy to lift. I am no longer going to remove it every time I drop the trailer. Bought a locking pin for it too, so won't be stolen.

I was taking it off each time, storing in rv trailer compartment.

I hurt my back reaching into the compartment last week when I pulled it out while bending over at bad angle..hard lesson learned.
That is one nice about the Hensley cub. The whole thing attaches and stays in the hitch. No removing needed and it’s a great anti theft device because no one knows what they are or how they work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

61 - 68 of 68 Posts