Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been having my FJ about a month and a half and have about 2500 miles on it. I have recently noticed that when I press the brake pedal, I hear a quick hissing noise that sounds like when you vent a gas can or something like that. I am no where near being a mechanic, but to me it sounds like the brake system is pressurizing. I have never noticed this on any vehicle I have had before and I haven't noticed the brakes not performing correctly (other than the minor issue described in the following paragraph). I am wondering if this normal for the FJ or should I have it looked at.

The other thing I noticed with my brakes is that after I come to a stop at a redlight and remain stopped for some time period, every now and then my truck seems to creep up a bit, as if I had slightly released the brake pedal (I have an automatic trans), even though I don't think I do release the pedal at all. Again, I have never noticed this on any other vehicle, and its not a regular occurence, just every so often. Could these two things be related?

Anyone have any thoughts on this? Any input or info from anyone is appreciated.

I should say that I am not overly concerned about these things, its just that I am in love with my FJ so much, I don't want her to be feeling ill in any kind of way. If this would have occured on any other vehicle I had, I would not have even given it a second thought.

·
Premium Member
8,309 Posts
Let the snakes out of your vacuum booster. :)

But seriously, it's pretty common to hear a slight hiss from the vacuum booster that all modern cars have, usually you can't hear it over the noise of the engine but it is right in front of you on the other side of the firewall.

If the noise lasts for more than a moment or your brakes won't hold with modest pedal pressure, then take it back to the dealer for sure. Toyota's warranty coverage is very good.

·
Registered
839 Posts
on older american made cars this was a symptom that the master brake cylinder had a leaky seal. If you hold your foot down on the brake pedal with a steady mid range pressure and the pedal creeps toward the floor then you have a problem.

·
Registered
116 Posts
i noticed this a well.. thinking it may be when the a/c kicks on ??? not sure!

The other thing I noticed with my brakes is that after I come to a stop at a redlight and remain stopped for some time period, every now and then my truck seems to creep up a bit, as if I had slightly released the brake pedal (I have an automatic trans), even though I don't think I do release the pedal at all. Again, I have never noticed this on any other vehicle, and its not a regular occurence, just every so often. Could these two things be related?

Anyone have any thoughts on this? Any input or info from anyone is appreciated.

·
Registered
652 Posts
wow. i noticed a slight hissing too, but i also noticed that when im holding the brake down, and there happens to be bump or two in the road, the pedal seems to "flutter" slightly, kind of like how it feels when your rotors need to be turned or replaced. is this normal as well?

thanks!
ebfj

·
Premium Member
8,355 Posts
wow. i noticed a slight hissing too, but i also noticed that when im holding the brake down, and there happens to be bump or two in the road, the pedal seems to "flutter" slightly, kind of like how it feels when your rotors need to be turned or replaced. is this normal as well?

thanks!
ebfj
that's your abs kicking in from the rear axle becoming unsettled a bit.

·
Registered
47 Posts
If you hear the hissing and when you stop at the light, does the brake pedal remain firm? If so, you might have a vacuum leak or an interanl leak in the booster. Only if the pedal continues to go down at a stop, regardless if the vehicle stops or not, you have a hydraulic problem, most likely master cylinder. Considering the age of the vehicle, it would most likely be vacuum related. You coulod just have an oversensitive ear mind you.

Keep your ears out and report back?

Reefermadness:bandit:

·
Registered
75 Posts
When i step on my brake it occasionally rattles as well, sort of like if the ABS was activated.

Is that normal?

·
Registered
961 Posts
that's your abs kicking in from the rear axle becoming unsettled a bit.
Bostonian's right guys. The ABS sees the wheels turning at different rates with the brakes applied and is kicking in. This happens when you hit the brakes and the wheels are suffering different amounts of friction against the road due to bouncing a bit. It's happened to me in the FJ and other trucks on uneven pavement and usually indicates that I am going too fast. Slow down and it will be fine.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts