Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'll be wiring my IPF 968 tomorrow but I have a few questions.

1. There is a wire that taps into the high beam wire. Can I ignore doing that? I don't see myself needing that feature.

2. I'll be screwing the two relays to the metal frame in front of the battery. I chose that location because anywhere else the wiring harness would not reach key locations without needing extra wiring. Is this a bad place to but the relays?

3. How does one get a wire under the dash? Is it best to make a new hole? or pierce that rubber boot all the factory wiring goes through?

4. I have 1 inch split tubing. It's too big for this project but I anticipate other wires going through there in the future. Should I get smaller?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I totally forgot about your thread. I was just reading it a few days ago. Thanks for the detailed install.

I'll buy an add-a-fuse tomorrow and hook up the yellow wire the way you did.

You saved me from a painful install.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Looking forward to lots of pics! With 6 lights up front, someone's gonna get a tan. :D

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
He's using the same bar.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I totally forgot about your thread. I was just reading it a few days ago. Thanks for the detailed install.

I'll buy an add-a-fuse tomorrow and hook up the yellow wire the way you did.

You saved me from a painful install.

Thanks!
hey glad I could help someone! lights look MEAN!:ninja:

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Looking forward to lots of pics! With 6 lights up front, someone's gonna get a tan. :D
LOL

Pokerdawg, isn't that the same light bar the Dragon runs?
He's using the same bar.
Yes. Dragon's rig was my inspiration.

hey glad I could help someone! lights look MEAN!:ninja:
Thanks.

My add a fuse was $10....that's robbery right there. I was going to look for another way but I had no time nor sunlight to figure something else so I used it.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
I just used the open switched power fuse slots and put a fuse in it and used a spade connector. Cut one side off and jammed it into one side of the fuse. works beautifully...but doesn't look pretty.

I will be upgrading to a fuse block soon. Can't see pics cuz I am at work, but we need to run some trails soon!!!

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Here are the light with 55 watt h3 bulbs on. Photos are taken with fixed settings for all shots.

In person the 55 watt lights have the same intensity and temperature are the headlights on low beam. I will switch to the 100 watt bulbs next week.

Headlights (2 lights)

with first outer pair (4 lights)

with inner pair (6 lights)

Headlights (2 lights)

with first outer pair (4 lights)

with inner pair (6 lights)

I will be upgrading to a fuse block soon. Can't see pics cuz I am at work, but we need to run some trails soon!!!
Yes we should. I'll be avail after 3 weekends or so.

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
He's using the Dragon bar. :lol: Eric, let's see some distant lights! I want to see how far they go and spread pattern. :)

·
Premium Member
2,888 Posts
I just used the open switched power fuse slots and put a fuse in it and used a spade connector. Cut one side off and jammed it into one side of the fuse. works beautifully...but doesn't look pretty.
Next time, just use an actual fuse, and put the wire in on the side that does not have power w/o fuse. Then, you don't need to run an extra fuse, and it'll be in the fuse box when you need to check / change it...:rocker:

·
Premium Member
2,888 Posts
Here are the light with 55 watt h3 bulbs on. Photos are taken with fixed settings for all shots.

In person the 55 watt lights have the same intensity and temperature are the headlights on low beam. I will switch to the 100 watt bulbs next week.
Instead of using 100w H3 bulbs, I suggest you try PIAA extreme white 85w bulbs - they put out the equivalent of 135w halogen, and are whiter color temp, too...:bigthumb:

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Instead of using 100w H3 bulbs, I suggest you try PIAA extreme white 85w bulbs - they put out the equivalent of 135w halogen, and are whiter color temp, too...:bigthumb:
Thanks Larry. I'll look into it. I'm assuming those PIAA bulbs are H3 compatible?? Sorry, I'm a newb.

BTW, what is your view on colored H3 bulbs?? There are yellow H3 bulbs in the market. Would that make my lights 'fog' lights?

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...9243-colored-light-what-works.html#post955639

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
The IPFs comes with both 55W and 100W bulbs. He didn't have to go buy the new bulbs. That's probably the reason he's going to try them. :) PIAA 85s are pricey aren't they?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts