Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Has anyone here been to Portsmouth Island, NC? We are planning a trip there in late September and I was looking for any advice or suggestions from people who have visited. Ive reviewed all writeups online but nothing beats feedback from people who have actually been there. I know there are zero amenities and that we need all our food, recovery gear, gas and water. What Im looking for is any random advice or suggestions.

1. What would you change about your trip?
  2. Anything you didn't bring that you wish you did?
  3. How much extra gas did/would you bring?
  4. Is potable water available anywhere on the island (water is not available based on what Ive read but I have to ask)?
  5. Any unknown tricks you used to combat the green flies?
  6. The site mentions bathrooms ( https://www.nps.gov/calo/planyourvisit/visit-portsmouth.htm ) but I imagine these are simple bathrooms with no showers, correct?
  7. Is there any electricity available near the cabins (to recharge our camera gear)?
Any information is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
267 Posts
We camped up island from the cabins, which are right at the ferry landing. The only electricity I know of is limited to what generators produce at the cabins and I'm pretty sure it's limited to people staying at the cabins. For camera gear I'd rely on 12v or a 12v converter to 120v. I don't recall green flies. There really aren't many bugs at all on the surf side. You'd be nuts to camp on the sound side of the dunes due to the mosquitoes. You are totally limited to what you bring over with you for food, water, gas, etc. We survived, but I wish we'd brought more water. As for gas, fill up before you go over. You can drive up and down the island 6 times on a tank of gas and have at least a quarter of a tank left over. I don't recall bathrooms anywhere, other than the other side of the dunes. No showers unless it rains. (Again, I don't know what's available at the cabins.) There are restrooms somewhere in the old town, but don't go over there thinking they will suffice for all your needs unless you're just going over for a few hours. Going to the old town is worth the experience but the mosquitoes are fricking HORRIBLE getting there, even in the off season for mosquitoes.

It's a great place to visit. It is not a good place to get stuck. Be aware of the tides.

TT

1 - 2 of 2 Posts