Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
21 - 40 of 51 Posts
questions from a pregnant girlfriend!!
No matter what she says, I've never been to Oklahoma. :jester:

Sorry to be a downer but there's a myriad of reasons why she shouldn't go including: poor access to medical services, risk of dehydration and heat stroke which are increased in pregnancy, risk of thromobosis from a long drive due to increased blood coagulation in pregnancy, risk of miscarriage which is increased with physical trauma, among others.

the only reason to go is to have fun which is very important. however, there are so many ways to have fun that aren't risky that it seems foolish to do things with inherent risk when pregnant. her OB doc is basically saying to take it very easy for whatever reason.

... and while i'm not her OB doc, yes i am a physician, yes my wife's 6 mo pregnant and no i wouldnt take her either.

my wife is getting ready to pop and she still hits the trails with me

my wife is getting ready to pop and she still hits the trails with me
Great. What if you broke a cv right before she broke her water? It may or may not affect the outcome but I bet you wouldn't think its such a great idea. Seriously, there's so little upside to that and so much possible downside. Why would you think that's a good idea?

Stay home with your lady...Don't risk your babies well being!

Life is about risk everyone of us who leaves the pavment is more at risk of injury.. I have 3 kids of my own so I speak from experiance..
My youngest spent hid first 10 days in nicu came home for 3 days and we headed out to pismo beach for some camping and offroad fun.. We supported his neck and took it easy well taking the fj out for a dune run..

I've been offroading with a pregnant spouse with all 3 boys and we have no health issues..

I feel if your responsible enough to take it easy on the trails go for it.. Enjoy life because you never know when it's going to end

Discussion starter · #27 ·
What a deal, Never thought about having complications several miles out on a bumpy trail. I think we're bypassing moab this year now, because of the very reason we were going to begin with. If we cant wheel hard together we will probably just sight see. Tossed around bringing another rider, but....

No matter what she says, I've never been to Oklahoma. :jester:
I have to say...

we have had some unusual FJSummit threads in the past, but this one takes the cake!

Best wishes to all with pregnant wives, girlfriends, mistresses, sisters and mothers. Oh, and pregnant Senators, House of Reps, First or Second Lady's as well! :bigthumb::rofl:

I went to summit last year and was 4 months pregnant.... I drove the trails (all but Black bear trails)... and I have a mellow baby sitting in my arms as i type this. :)

Now i feel that you should do what YOUR doctor tells you guys. No bumpy roads means NO BUMPY ROADS. I had a surprisingly easy pregnancy... no morning sickness or problems. If she has morning sickness that might quickly turn to motion and altitude sickness.

hate to say it but pregnancy isn't a handicap :rolleyes:

If I stayed home and didn't do anything while I was pregnant I would of missed out on a lot of once in a lifetime experiences.

hate to say it but pregnancy isn't a handicap :rolleyes:

If I stayed home and didn't do anything while I was pregnant I would of missed out on a lot of once in a lifetime experiences.
You make it seem that the only two choices for her are to go offroading or to stay home and miss out on a once in a lifetime experience. That doesn't make sense as there are literally hundreds of activities that are still exciting but have minimal risk during pregnancy. BTW, I'm not even sure what a once in a lifetime experience is because if it was really great and memorable, I'll just go do it again. Whether you choose to believe it or not, pregnancy does impose some limitations to the mother and fetus. If you want to label that as a handicap then that's your own decision.

Athena is 100% correct and I would follow her advice any day. I find it kind of funny that the concern is about the trails at Ouray...it is not like it is Moab for goodness sake. There are a vast number of trails at Ouray that are no more challenging than a gravel road.

The ultimate question here is not how safe it is but rather how comfortable you are with the potential consequences....no matter how unlikely they are. Only you and the SO can decide this.

IMHO: This could be the path to a mediocre life style....this year you won't go because of the pregnancy, next year because the babies neck is too weak to take a jostle...the year after because the toddle is too cranky to ride for a couple of hours on a trail and so forth....

My wife and I gave up international travel for a while when we had our girl...that is when we actually started to travel more of the USA and did a lot more off roading :bigthumb: We actually felt it was safer to be doing exactly what you are potentially avoiding :lol:

Doc

If she has morning sickness that might quickly turn to motion and altitude sickness.
You know, I didn't think about altitude sickness. Kosmo had some wild altitude attitude :) going on last year. Maybe I would give it a second thought if you are coming from sea level (or close to sea level). Athena has lived in the mountains so the trek up the mountain is not as drastic as from a much lower elevation.

My opinion is free and worth every penny. :cheers:

Doc you hit right on the head. You start making excuses and then it's habit forming. To be quite honest and I don't want to sound like a trail snob but the only reason we go to the summit is to meet people, the trails are really boring :lol: Absolutely beautiful, don't get me wrong, but we like challenge.

As for a handicap, if I felt it was a handicap I wouldn't have given birth 3 times. And no, I didn't expect anyone to pamper me. I was very active, but still cautious. If it's a normal pregnancy she should get out there. Of course I'd feel differently if there had been some known complication.

Athena is 100% correct and I would follow her advice any day. I find it kind of funny that the concern is about the trails at Ouray...it is not like it is Moab for goodness sake. There are a vast number of trails at Ouray that are no more challenging than a gravel road.

The ultimate question here is not how safe it is but rather how comfortable you are with the potential consequences....no matter how unlikely they are. Only you and the SO can decide this.

IMHO: This could be the path to a mediocre life style....this year you won't go because of the pregnancy, next year because the babies neck is too weak to take a jostle...the year after because the toddle is too cranky to ride for a couple of hours on a trail and so forth....

My wife and I gave up international travel for a while when we had our girl...that is when we actually started to travel more of the USA and did a lot more off roading :bigthumb: We actually felt it was safer to be doing exactly what you are potentially avoiding :lol:

Doc

Discussion starter · #37 ·
No complications, no sickness of any sort. We went to bridgeport tx orp last week and still had fun in the 102 degree heat. We are really looking forward to meeting all y'all. The crew that I run with down here heckle me when I back out of a spot when she is with me. To the point that I just turn off the CB, but thats just because they know it bugs me, not because they're a#$holes. Thanks again for all of the advice and comments

Athena is 100% correct and I would follow her advice any day.
+
Doc you hit right on the head.
That's pretty convenient.

IMHO: This could be the path to a mediocre life style....
+
You start making excuses and then it's habit forming.
Let me get this straight: Based on the OP's decision to not go offroading while his girlfriend is pregnant he should then watch out for an addiction to making excuses and a lifestyle of mediocrity?

The OP asked a simple question about the safety of offroading during pregnancy but both of you have started prosletizing about how this one faulty decision to not go may/will adversely impact his entire future. IMO, whether you agree or disagree with the OP's decision (or other poster's opinions), it is rude of you both to condemn him for it.

With your statements in this thread I guess when I'm pregnant with my forth I shouldn't drive on my dirt road to my house because it may cause complications. I should also live in a big city since the closest hospital is 40 miles away too right? Sorry but if anyone is being more persuasive it's you, Blindluck. Let the OP make a decision for themselves without making worse case scenario threats. Yes things happen, but they shouldn't stop you from having an awesome experience in beautiful scenery with great people. All I'm implying is that the roads up there in Ouray are mostly dirt roads, that's coming from experience.

Hmm, lets see..... It's OK to have sex until you actally start labor, but it' not advisable to off road? Hmm....I think I'd you possibly need to get another MD's opinion. I don't know about anyone else, but I think sex (at least good sex) is far more physically demanding- and your body takes more of a pounding than any wheeling that takes place at Ouray-unless you like destroying your rig that is. I am a registered nurse, but not an OB nurse, so I'm not experienced enough for an exact answer, but most all pregnant women are given the the green light for sex up until labor begins. Could it be possible that the doc doesn't understand that you are not entering the Baja 500? Negaiting regular trail wheelin' seems a little on the over-cautious side. Let the MD know exactly what you plan-an easy a ride as possible, with no air time or huge jarring jolts. Now as a final note I should point out that your Doc has all the H&P on your wifes present/past medical conditions, and a pre-existing condition may be the reason for him/her advising against it. Just go with the advise, but make sure he/she realizes EXACTLY what you're planning.:)

21 - 40 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.