Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
41 - 51 of 51 Posts
excellent comparison :)

excellent comparison :)
Thank you Athena, I just felt like the Doc may have had a vision of FJ's leaping thru the air, and like most people who don't wheel, think that we all head out to the BMX trax with our rigs to get the livin' crap beat out of us. I personally take a bigger pounding driving on "improved" roads and interstates at the posted speed than I've ever had crawling over obstacales on the trail.

With your statements in this thread I guess when I'm pregnant with my forth I shouldn't drive on my dirt road to my house because it may cause complications. I should also live in a big city since the closest hospital is 40 miles away too right? Sorry but if anyone is being more persuasive it's you, Blindluck. Let the OP make a decision for themselves without making worse case scenario threats. Yes things happen, but they shouldn't stop you from having an awesome experience in beautiful scenery with great people. All I'm implying is that the roads up there in Ouray are mostly dirt roads, that's coming from experience.
The OP didn't ask about once in a lifetime experiences, beautiful scenery, if being pregnant is a handicap or how much you've offroaded while pregnant. He asked if the roads there were more severe than a gravel road in context of his pregnant girlfriend's doctor's recommended travel limitations. FWIW, I helped sidetrack this thread too.

I have no idea about the quality of the roads there although in my experience, maintained gravel roads are much smoother than most dirt roads. Athena, maybe you and others can answer the question: Are the dirt roads in Ouray more, less or equally bumpy when compared to a well maintained gravel road that the obstetrician is likely considering?

I think our opinions differ because our perspectives are different. Correct me if I'm wrong but you might be commenting on the tiny risk and large benefit of offroading to the pregnant mother and I'm commenting on the tiny risk and zero benefit to the unborn baby.

+

Let me get this straight: Based on the OP's decision to not go offroading while his girlfriend is pregnant he should then watch out for an addiction to making excuses and a lifestyle of mediocrity?

The OP asked a simple question about the safety of offroading during pregnancy but both of you have started prosletizing about how this one faulty decision to not go may/will adversely impact his entire future. IMO, whether you agree or disagree with the OP's decision (or other poster's opinions), it is rude of you both to condemn him for it.
I don't think that it was rude at all....considering that this is a forum of opinion (as are most forums). And considering that this is a primarily off road style forum, one would expect the opinion (and experiences) to lean towards the "go for it" attitude. In all my posts, I have stated that he needs to understand the risks vs benefits and make the decision that he is comfortable with.

I suppose that by posting here the OP probably expected that kind of response otherwise if he just wanted to have the question answered...as you suggest, he may have simply posted the question on ASK.com :lol:

As well, I am also reasonably sure that if he wanted a differing kind of response...he may have started a thread on the premature rupture of membranes forum.:thinkerg:

I did like Timbo2s commentary about sex and pregnancy

It's OK to have sex until you actally start labor, but it' not advisable to off road? Hmm....I think I'd you possibly need to get another MD's opinion. I don't know about anyone else, but I think sex (at least good sex) is far more physically demanding- and your body takes more of a pounding than any wheeling that takes place at Ouray-unless you like destroying your rig that is. I am a registered nurse, but not an OB nurse, so I'm not experienced enough for an exact answer, but most all pregnant women are given the the green light for sex up until labor begins.

But keep in mind that at that point all the women want from us is the natural prostaglandins to help ripen the cervix :rofl:

Doc

Blindluck if you look at my first post in this thread I said that most trails are ok except Poughkeepsie, and yes that's coming from my experience after going on every trail up there. They are fairly all dirt roads, and if there's a bumpy spot from washouts or what not she can get out and take pictures. Yes I understand that the OP didn't ask about missing a once in a lifetime experience or missing beautiful scenery, but they also didn't ask for your terrifying posts making them feel that the preggers could pop on the slightest bump. I'm sorry, and I hope I don't offend, but it drives me nuts when people only focus on the what if's worse scerios. If people focused on that all their life they wouldn't have any real life experiences. Nothing holds me back, and yes I have 3 children who have always been safe and experienced some excellent experiences because we get out and do it. Like Hindsight says. Everyone's allowed their opinion here, and like you said, we look at it two different ways. :cheers:

Back to your last post in this thread. You said it yourself they were only asking whether the roads were more than dirt gravel. You're previous posts that I've included in this response is the reason why I had to step and speak.

Sorry to be a downer but there's a myriad of reasons why she shouldn't go including: poor access to medical services, risk of dehydration and heat stroke which are increased in pregnancy, risk of thromobosis from a long drive due to increased blood coagulation in pregnancy, risk of miscarriage which is increased with physical trauma, among others.

the only reason to go is to have fun which is very important. however, there are so many ways to have fun that aren't risky that it seems foolish to do things with inherent risk when pregnant. her OB doc is basically saying to take it very easy for whatever reason.

... and while i'm not her OB doc, yes i am a physician, yes my wife's 6 mo pregnant and no i wouldnt take her either.
"The OP didn't ask about once in a lifetime experiences, beautiful scenery, if being pregnant is a handicap or how much you've offroaded while pregnant. He asked if the roads there were more severe than a gravel road in context of his pregnant girlfriend's doctor's recommended travel limitations. FWIW, I helped sidetrack this thread too."

They also didn't ask what COULD happen to her pregnancy out on a scetched out 4 wheel trail either. That's if it was a nasty trail :rolleyes: Again in my first post, coming from my experience, I told her what I thought would be fine and what wouldn't. It's at the point where you pretty much terrified the OP with this most that the thread with off track, and I responded to you about missing out on once in a life time experiences becausse you're scared to death.

Great. What if you broke a cv right before she broke her water? It may or may not affect the outcome but I bet you wouldn't think its such a great idea. Seriously, there's so little upside to that and so much possible downside. Why would you think that's a good idea?
again, they didn't ask what could happen, they were asking what type of trails were out in Ouray.

You're calling me out on what the OP asked for... yet you steered off way in the beginning of the thread, and I was only responding to your horrific posts. Fear is never good to install in people. Timbo2 had a great point I know there's a lot bumpier rides having sex, coming from experience :worried: :lol: then the dirt roads in Ouray, again coming from experience :rofl:

hahaha! Good for you guys! I'm so excited for you! ;)

This thread seems to have ventured off the beaten path a bit! I like where this is going! :lol:

41 - 51 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.