Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

questions from a pregnant girlfriend!!

6K views 50 replies 24 participants last post by  1911 
#1 · (Edited)
A few weeks after we registered to go to the summit, and made plans to wheel Moab, we found out that we were with child. The doctor is now saying that she doesnt need to be on much more than a gravel road. I have no idea how rough these spots are that we will be going down. I know that Moab is probably out of the question. I hate to drag her to Colorado, just so she can sit at camp or the hotel the whole trip. Anybody with a little knowledge of the agenda please help.

#2 ·
Okiecruiser you'll be fine hun. The roads aren't at all bad. Just stay away from Poughkeepsie and you're good. :)

#4 ·
I have no answers either , but Congratulations too !!! :rocker:
Redboat

#5 ·
First off, congrats!

Second, if you want truly dirt roads, you need to stay off more than just Poughkeepsie. I wouldn't do black bear because it gets a big bouncy on the steps at the top, and I'd probably say the same for Imogene because there are some unnavoidable bumpy spots at the top. Again, nothing bad, but they are more than dirt roads. Ophir & Alpine Loop would be my recommendations. Ophir being first because it is the easiest, if she has a problem with it, don't go on anything else.

Once again, congrats.

#6 ·
Engineer can have lots of rough spots as well, take your time and everything will be ok

#7 ·
Definitely bring her to Ouray. She'll do just fine. Also, if the bumps brings the baby early, we will all be there to welcome the little one into the world! :bigthumb:

#13 ·
Ah - I've got to raise the caution flag here.

If the Doc is advising no bumps there may be a very good reason. If she does not have good placental adhesion a good bump could tare the placenta from the uterine wall and she could bleed out in minutes - litterally.

Not trying to scare anyone but you need to ask the serious questions of the Doc. Why is he advising no bumpy roads.

#8 ·
Thanks for all the responses. We have Imogene,Engineer pass and blackbear all scheduled already. She is gonna hate to miss anything that may be cool because we have both been looking forward to it all year. I do tend to wheel harder than she approves of, and that is something that Ive been working on. She was filming the wheels up stunt that is on my avatar instead of riding with me.lol. But.... Will they work with me to change my trails, or do I have to live with it?

#19 ·
That's why I only memtion Poughkeepsie, and still she can get out and take pics if that's the case. Shoot I went wheeling when I was due, the hubby tried bumping our first out :lol: I was well over my due date and we were trying everything! A couple weeks after having the baby we went on the trail too. Rolled up some t-shirts and placed it on both sides of the baby's head and we were rolling.

#12 ·
Congrads!!! This is only my second time to the FJ Cruiser Summit and I have not gone on Black Bear or Moab yet, so I will let other people give you advice.

Although, I would recommend having a great time now before the new little one comes into the picture because you are going to be busy!

#14 ·
My wife was 7 month prego our first summit and she was fine with Imogene and I think that was about the roughest event trail. Black bear had a couple bumps but it was short. As long as you are a decent driver you can keep the bumps to a minimum.

#16 ·
Well, as long as she can drink vodka and smoke unfiltered cigs she wont mind too much what we do. JUST KIDDING. Really though, thanks for all the comments. I think the doc doesnt want to risk early labor. She will be around six months along and its good to hear that more people have done this with their partners. I didnt want people looking down their nose thinking we shouldnt be there. We will just take it real easy and play it by ear and have fun.

#21 ·
questions from a pregnant girlfriend!!
No matter what she says, I've never been to Oklahoma. :jester:

#29 ·
I have to say...

we have had some unusual FJSummit threads in the past, but this one takes the cake!

Best wishes to all with pregnant wives, girlfriends, mistresses, sisters and mothers. Oh, and pregnant Senators, House of Reps, First or Second Lady's as well! :bigthumb::rofl:

#22 ·
Sorry to be a downer but there's a myriad of reasons why she shouldn't go including: poor access to medical services, risk of dehydration and heat stroke which are increased in pregnancy, risk of thromobosis from a long drive due to increased blood coagulation in pregnancy, risk of miscarriage which is increased with physical trauma, among others.

the only reason to go is to have fun which is very important. however, there are so many ways to have fun that aren't risky that it seems foolish to do things with inherent risk when pregnant. her OB doc is basically saying to take it very easy for whatever reason.

... and while i'm not her OB doc, yes i am a physician, yes my wife's 6 mo pregnant and no i wouldnt take her either.

#46 ·
Back to your last post in this thread. You said it yourself they were only asking whether the roads were more than dirt gravel. You're previous posts that I've included in this response is the reason why I had to step and speak.

"The OP didn't ask about once in a lifetime experiences, beautiful scenery, if being pregnant is a handicap or how much you've offroaded while pregnant. He asked if the roads there were more severe than a gravel road in context of his pregnant girlfriend's doctor's recommended travel limitations. FWIW, I helped sidetrack this thread too."

They also didn't ask what COULD happen to her pregnancy out on a scetched out 4 wheel trail either. That's if it was a nasty trail :rolleyes: Again in my first post, coming from my experience, I told her what I thought would be fine and what wouldn't. It's at the point where you pretty much terrified the OP with this most that the thread with off track, and I responded to you about missing out on once in a life time experiences becausse you're scared to death.

Great. What if you broke a cv right before she broke her water? It may or may not affect the outcome but I bet you wouldn't think its such a great idea. Seriously, there's so little upside to that and so much possible downside. Why would you think that's a good idea?
again, they didn't ask what could happen, they were asking what type of trails were out in Ouray.

You're calling me out on what the OP asked for... yet you steered off way in the beginning of the thread, and I was only responding to your horrific posts. Fear is never good to install in people. Timbo2 had a great point I know there's a lot bumpier rides having sex, coming from experience :worried: :lol: then the dirt roads in Ouray, again coming from experience :rofl:

#23 ·
my wife is getting ready to pop and she still hits the trails with me

#25 ·
Stay home with your lady...Don't risk your babies well being!

#26 ·
Life is about risk everyone of us who leaves the pavment is more at risk of injury.. I have 3 kids of my own so I speak from experiance..
My youngest spent hid first 10 days in nicu came home for 3 days and we headed out to pismo beach for some camping and offroad fun.. We supported his neck and took it easy well taking the fj out for a dune run..

I've been offroading with a pregnant spouse with all 3 boys and we have no health issues..

I feel if your responsible enough to take it easy on the trails go for it.. Enjoy life because you never know when it's going to end

#27 ·
What a deal, Never thought about having complications several miles out on a bumpy trail. I think we're bypassing moab this year now, because of the very reason we were going to begin with. If we cant wheel hard together we will probably just sight see. Tossed around bringing another rider, but....

#30 ·
I went to summit last year and was 4 months pregnant.... I drove the trails (all but Black bear trails)... and I have a mellow baby sitting in my arms as i type this. :)

Now i feel that you should do what YOUR doctor tells you guys. No bumpy roads means NO BUMPY ROADS. I had a surprisingly easy pregnancy... no morning sickness or problems. If she has morning sickness that might quickly turn to motion and altitude sickness.

#35 ·
If she has morning sickness that might quickly turn to motion and altitude sickness.
You know, I didn't think about altitude sickness. Kosmo had some wild altitude attitude :) going on last year. Maybe I would give it a second thought if you are coming from sea level (or close to sea level). Athena has lived in the mountains so the trek up the mountain is not as drastic as from a much lower elevation.

My opinion is free and worth every penny. :cheers:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.