Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My new 2011 FJ needs that second horn. Toyota confirmed that the parts (Horn Assembly 86510-60240 and Bolt 90080-11545) were "compatible" with the 2011 FJ, so I bought them.

Having read the posts on this installation on this forum, it appears that there are some wiring changes on the '11. The location of the second horn wire must have moved, because there's nothing interesting looking on the right side near the fender.

There are some interesting looking plugs, one is attached to the sheet metal RIGHT NEXT TO THE PRIMARY (weak) HORN with two wires: white and white/black. The primary horn has only one wire, that is gray. Photos below. There is also a suspicious-looking plug along the left side, also shown in a photo, with two wires: white and green/red. Neither of these has a plug that would connect directly to the horn, so I'm doubting that they are the second horn wires.

My questions is obvious: where is the secondary horn wire on the '11?

If I can't figure this out with advice from the forum, I'm going to surrender and have the dealer install the horn.

Thanks,
Chris

Attachments

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
I don’t know about ’11, but on my ’10 (and pre-‘10’s) it is on the passenger side above the fender. It is attached to another set of wires, and black-taped to them, so it just looks like a small bulge (that's what she said). Kind of like a snake that ate a mouse.

Anyway – just do your due diligence on inspecting the wires on the passenger side. It isn’t obvious at all, and requires some unpeeling. Hopefully your ’11 is in the same place.

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
188 Posts
Agreed with mckinngk, my '10 is the same way. I was just digging around in there yesterday. Installing a PA tonight.
Good luck!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i just replaced the standard horn with an "Compact Italian Big Truck Horn" love it.
Was that on a 2011? I took the truck to the dealer yesterday, and they could not find the wire for the second horn. The guy said "maybe it's not on this wiring harness".

So, if you got it done on a 2011, I'd sure like to see a photo of the location where you found that second little gray horn wire!

Chris

·
Registered
477 Posts
I agree with Chris the OP.

I have a 2011 with a date of manufacture of November, 2010. I took off all the tape from the firewall forward to where it goes under the air intake. That is at least a foot of wires exposed. The 2011 looks much different than our 2007 on the passenger side under the hood along the fender. The 2007 you removed some black tape and there was the connection,hidden but it was there.

Evidently there were more changes made on the 2011 vs. the 2010 and the years previous than people realize.

I notice that no one with a 2011 has chimed in to say they found it where all the rest of us found ours on our 2010 and older FJs.

I would be happy to be wrong as I now have lots of wires exposed and lying on the psgr. fender under the hood now and it would be nice to be able to hook up the high tone horn I bought.

·
Registered
477 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
do you have any trouble if you connect the second horn to the same wire of the first?
and what is the size of the bolt for the second horn?

·
Registered
477 Posts
I notice that no one with a 2011 has chimed in to say they found it where all the rest of us found ours on our 2010 and older FJs.
"I would be happy to be wrong as I now have lots of wires exposed and lying on the psgr. fender under the hood now and it would be nice to be able to hook up the high tone horn I bought."
" Come on all you folks with 2011s, help us electrically challenged horn mongers out! "

I'd rather not start cutting wires, etc. as on a scale of 1-10 with 10 being someone who understands wiring, I am a 1.5(fire starter).:mecry::rofl:

·
Registered
477 Posts
What I have learned about installing a second horn in a 2011:
1. Fellow FJers are more helpful than the computers in the Toyota Service Dept. or Toyota Parts Dept. Thank you FJesus for post 10 and thanks to BMthiker and MTbcoach on the Mud forum. It took awhile, but the little dim bulb in my head finally started to glow.
2. There is definitely no plug and play connnection for a second horn on a 2011 like there is on 2010 and 2007-2009 models. The bulges on the 2011 are just looped wires.
3. The single grey wire going to the original horn on a 2011 is the power wire. A tap/splice works well to get power from this wire.
4. The ground is the metal bracket mount attached to the back of the 2nd horn($15 high tone from Auto Zone looks like the original low tone) and then bolted into the extra tapped hole on the same support the original horn is bolted to.
5. The bolt size is M6-1.0. I used a 16mm length found at Home Depot and used 14 gauge wire, although I was told by a Homer that 16 gauge would work.
6. On the electrically competent scale, I have moved from a 1.5 to a 1.501.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Wyo,
Have you noticed any problems with running both horns of the same wire? No blown fuses during extended honks?

·
Registered
477 Posts
I installed the 2nd horn yesterday afternoon and tried several three second honks.

Craig, per your question, I did a 10 second(as in slowly counting 1001, 1002, etc.) 'extended honk' and the horn is still working. I used ear protection as I did the 'test' in the garage not wanting to annoy all the animals/humans in the 'hood.
For $15, the black colored 125 db Blaster, combined with the stock horn, creates LOUD.

You could also ask FJesus as I think he installed his a week or so ago.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I have a 2010 and moved the stock horn to the passenger-side firewall position and installed the high tone PIAA sport horns on each side of the radiator. I split the positive wire to each PIAA horn and have had no problems with fuses even with 3-5 second honks.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I'm glad that it worked with you like with me, no problems so far here, this weekend I will install the Hella lights in the bumper
Cool!

·
Registered
477 Posts
I have a 2010 and moved the stock horn to the passenger-side firewall position and installed the high tone PIAA sport horns on each side of the radiator. I split the positive wire to each PIAA horn and have had no problems with fuses even with 3-5 second honks.
Now that I've had mine installed for two whole days, is it time to upgrade to Hellas or PIAAs?

·
Registered
369 Posts
Now that I've had mine installed for two whole days, is it time to upgrade to Hellas or PIAAs?
I chose them based on finding that some other members had installed them and then reading a lot of reviews on Amazon to find a loud one. It isn't as loud as I thought it would be and the stock horns are probably comparable if you have both tones (the PIAAS are the same shape and size).

1 - 20 of 32 Posts