Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have blacked out my bumpers, mirrors, and what not, and am now starting to do my dash...I have a few questions though. I am using Rustoleum Black Texture, and due to the "roughness" of the paint you can't run a towel over it to clean it or it will literally tear the towel to shreds, how would you go about cleaning the interior painted parts? I also want to black out my turn signals head lights, piaa brush guard lights, and rear lights...is it better to buy a cover or use a spray?

·
Registered
630 Posts
I have blacked out my bumpers, mirrors, and what not, and am now starting to do my dash...I have a few questions though. I am using Rustoleum Black Texture, and due to the "roughness" of the paint you can't run a towel over it to clean it or it will literally tear the towel to shreds, how would you go about cleaning the interior painted parts? I also want to black out my turn signals head lights, piaa brush guard lights, and rear lights...is it better to buy a cover or use a spray?

Did you use the Rustoleum Texture to do your bumper? ...or just considering it for the dash? I want to black out my bumpers and bezel but don't know what paint matches the best. I have heard that some use Krylon For Plastic.....some use Rustoleum. Which is better?

·
Emeritus Moderator
6,484 Posts
You can't use spray paint in a can to do the tail lights or turn signals. You would have to go to a paint & Body shop or if you have professional spray equipment you can do it yourself like I did mine. It takes about a 15% mix of black and a 85% mix of clear automotive paint, you then keep building up until it "Looks" like there black. You then stop. I hope this helps. :)

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
You can't use spray paint in a can to do the tail lights or turn signals. You would have to go to a paint & Body shop or if you have professional spray equipment you can do it yourself like I did mine. It takes about a 15% mix of black and a 85% mix of clear automotive paint, you then keep building up until it "Looks" like there black. You then stop. I hope this helps. :)
I used to mold and custom paint radio controlled helicopter canopies and that is exactly how I tinted the windscreen area. very cool

·
Banned
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Did you use the Rustoleum Texture to do your bumper? ...or just considering it for the dash? I want to black out my bumpers and bezel but don't know what paint matches the best. I have heard that some use Krylon For Plastic.....some use Rustoleum. Which is better?
I'm using Textured on the bumpers and the interior...it's about as close as you're going to get.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
the flat black textured on the outside is an exact match....I sprayed my bumper and you cant tell a difference

flat black textured rustoleum is the way to go

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
In the spirit of disseminating information:

MR. FJCZR had a post that showed his blacked out interior. I believe he was the first to do it. Here's what he told me in PM..

--------------------------
>>MR. FJCZR: I used Rustoleum Textured Paint for Plastic on the interior, (I would suggest going with something that's smooth on the surface maybe like a flat black paint) just that it makes cleaning the inside easier. Everything comes off the two strips in the middle have screws on the bottom and then you pop them upwards and they come off. The vents on both sides don't have any screws, you just have to push or pull them upwards and they'll pop off. I masked the vents and then spray painted them. I first sanded everything down to take the glossy paint off so that the spray paint would stick on it. Sand it Clean it Paint it. Do couple of coats just to be sure. on the Steering wheel I masked all the buttons and everything else around the silver trim. Only left the Silver exposed and the rest of the cabin was covered with newspaper, I didn't want over spray on anything else. It's gonna take you some time but it's all worth it as you can see.
Good Luck.
Ahmed

As for the brake lights, turn signals and headlights.. You can buy the paint in a can from xtremewhite.com (Ricer site) another guy off ebay (blinglights) sells it too.
Automotive Spray on Lamp Cover Paint Auto Styling accessories Euro clear Altezza tail light @ xtremeWhite.com

One can will only get two signals done, so plan ahead. You can look at my build to see it painted on the signals.. I wouldn't recommend it or any other paint on the headlight due to the loss of light. I am already running PIAA H4's and H7's and noticed a considerable difference when I installed the AeroFlow Smoke covers. The good part about those is you can remove them at will.

·
Banned
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
In the spirit of disseminating information:

MR. FJCZR had a post that showed his blacked out interior. I believe he was the first to do it. Here's what he told me in PM..

>>MR. FJCZR: I used Rustoleum Textured Paint for Plastic on the interior, (I would suggest going with something that's smooth on the surface maybe like a flat black paint) just that it makes cleaning the inside easier. Everything comes off the two strips in the middle have screws on the bottom and then you pop them upwards and they come off. The vents on both sides don't have any screws, you just have to push or pull them upwards and they'll pop off. I masked the vents and then spray painted them. I first sanded everything down to take the glossy paint off so that the spray paint would stick on it. Sand it Clean it Paint it. Do couple of coats just to be sure. on the Steering wheel I masked all the buttons and everything else around the silver trim. Only left the Silver exposed and the rest of the cabin was covered with newspaper, I didn't want over spray on anything else. It's gonna take you some time but it's all worth it as you can see.
Good Luck.
Ahmed

As for the brake lights, turn signals and headlights.. You can buy the paint in a can from xtremewhite.com (Ricer site) another guy off ebay (blinglights) sells it too.
Automotive Spray on Lamp Cover Paint Auto Styling accessories Euro clear Altezza tail light @ xtremeWhite.com

One can will only get two signals done, so plan ahead. You can look at my build to see it painted on the signals.. I wouldn't recommend it or any other paint on the headlight due to the loss of light. I am already running PIAA H4's and H7's and noticed a considerable difference when I installed the AeroFlow Smoke covers. The good part about those is you can remove them at will.
He recommends something "smooth" but went with a rough texture paint? Lol...well anyway, I'm using flat-black textured rustoleum and so far so good, you are not able to clean it obviously I guess if you really wanted to you could take 3 minutes to take 'em out and spray 'em down and put them back in :) generally running air spray over them I guess should clean them up well enough. I didn't sand the rest of my stuff down I used an adhesive spray called Bulldog that makes paint stick to plastic, so far, so good. I'll prob end up having my headlights, and tail lights done as Shadow did...a lot of people use this eBay Express: VHT Nite Shades Black Out Taillight Tinting Spray 2 CAN -
But the quality of how it comes out totally depends on the person doing it...I think I'll let a pro do the darkening since I don't want to mess anything up.

·
Registered
57 Posts
the flat black textured on the outside is an exact match....I sprayed my bumper and you cant tell a difference

flat black textured rustoleum is the way to go

This is for the bezel or just the bumper?

I've got Ti, and don't mind the bumper... I don't think... Oh crap...

·
Banned
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This is for the bezel or just the bumper?

I've got Ti, and don't mind the bumper... I don't think... Oh crap...
You use it on any exterrior or interrior trim...I used it on my interrior plastics as well as the mirrors, bumpers, and bezel.

·
Kajun Kim
5,489 Posts
If you want the bezel black then go with the same Rustoleum textured flat black. I painted my bezel white and went with the smooth Rustoleum in white for plastics. I have also painted it with about 5 coats of Duplicolor Clearcoat. It makes it so you can keep the white clean. Just my 2 cents worth.

Kim

1 - 13 of 13 Posts