Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Questions to ask at Ojai

4K views 28 replies 12 participants last post by  Trainwreck 
#1 ·
I'm envious as hell of you guys getting to got Ojai, just like I was before SEMA. Please do the rest of us FJC junkies needing information fixes a favor and get as much out of Toytota as you can this weekend. We learned some stuff from SEMA but that buzz is over so we need more! Pricing? Options? Availability? I'm sure they won't give specifics about pricing yet but I would think they would have a good handle on options now and might not be so protective on that topic. Just ask them a general question about pricing. With a "my mom needs an operation look" on your face, ask them if you're going to be able to get the well equipped 4x4 FJC that you've been dreaming about for under $30K. And after they say yes then ask them if I can get a sunroof on mine.

#3 ·
Tell them about the poor kid who dreams of owning a fully loaded FJ Cruiser with a sunroof for under 30K and how he slaves at 3 jobs, including a janitorial position at a Toyota dealership just so that he can hear any new details about it. Have fun guys and don't drool too much.

#4 ·
DesertFox said:
I doubt they would give us pricing before the dealers.

But I hope to see a final spec sheet, with a list of colors, std features, and available FACTORY options. Sunroof would be nice, but I think you're out of luck unless you want a DIY sawzall version. :D

Believe me desert, you will definitely be seeing some modifications that the factory will not offer. Remember this day a few months down the road when there is a thread, "how to install a super charger" We will being seeing lots of after market products.

#5 ·
DesertFox said:
I doubt they would give us pricing before the dealers.

But I hope to see a final spec sheet, with a list of colors, std features, and available FACTORY options. Sunroof would be nice, but I think you're out of luck unless you want a DIY sawzall version. :D
I talked to my dealer about this yesterday. They have an aftermarket vendor they use and they match Toyota's warranty. 3yr/36K

If Toyota doesn't want my sunroof money someone will get it. :D

#6 ·
I guess I'll still get one w/o a sunroof. If you can get final specs and factory options out of them you will be my personal hero. But ask them about the rumors of the offroad package too. Will it be available initially, or later in '06, or ever? That might be worth waiting on.

#7 ·
Please ask about cup holders too. There are some guys on this forum that are very concerned about their ergonomics and how they might affect price. J/K of course. Well maybe not. I had an '94 FJ-80 that was seriously cup holder challenged and it did annoy me. Actually I'll be interested to hear what they say about finalizing the plastic interior. There were some comments from SEMA about how the interior still looked like pre-production plastic, especially the GPS bay in the driver's side dash. I haven't heard anyone else say this yet but the silver plastic accent pieces that frame the sides of the dash could be axed as far as I'm concerned. That might cut a few pennies off the price, unless maybe they fold down to reveal some groovy cup holders.

#8 ·
Pancho, you're killin' me man. Every single one of your posts has brought a smile to my face.

I'm with you though, they can axe the grey plastic. I have three sheets of diamond plate in the garage that are begging to be added as accent pieces to something cool.

My biggest concern is that the pricing stay low to mid $20K. If this beast is going to be above 30K, screw em.

#9 ·
Do you guys think that after Ojai, pretty much all the information will be released or set? Or will Toyota hold off until late December still. I don't know too much about these shows, but is it just to see what people think and then they figure out how they should build it and price it?

#10 ·
I have no idea. They are an auto manufacturer, therefore both greedy and corrupt just like the rest of them. My hope is that they tell us what we want to know. I hope that anyone going holds their ground and expresses our disdain for paying over $28K for it. I mean utilitarian attraction aside, I'm not going to pay a ton of cash for this thing. Hell, even at high $20K I will have to work two jobs to pay for it. If I have to work all the time to pay for it, I will never get to enjoy it. So you see the dillemma. What's the point of buying an off-road toy, if I can't ever take off from work to drive it off-road.

Stand up for us at this stinking show! Demand low prices. If we all refuse to buy one until it falls within a reasonable range, then they will have no choice but to accomodate us.

#11 ·
marketable said:
Do you guys think that after Ojai, pretty much all the information will be released or set? Or will Toyota hold off until late December still. I don't know too much about these shows, but is it just to see what people think and then they figure out how they should build it and price it?

God , I hope so. I think we have talked and debated about everthing possible. First it was interior pics, then color, then 4x4 vs 4x2. Then cup holders....(I just had to throw that in there) :D I think we are all kind of at a holding point on Ojai.

#12 ·
I hope it's a good show because it's to the point to where I rush home from work so that I can go online to see if there is any new information. I'm usually disappointed that I can't get my FJ fix for the day.....but it makes the new info so much more exciting. I've even gone out and test drove the other competition to see what's out there if the FJ price is too high.

#15 ·
marketable said:
I hope it's a good show because it's to the point to where I rush home from work so that I can go online to see if there is any new information. I'm usually disappointed that I can't get my FJ fix for the day.....but it makes the new info so much more exciting. I've even gone out and test drove the other competition to see what's out there if the FJ price is too high.
What else did you drive, out of curiousity. I might be interested in doing the same thing. At least that way, when Toyota scans our mighty fan site, they KNOW we are serious about not paying too much for this truck.

#16 ·
I drove a...
Jeep RUbicon Unlimited. Pretty cool (the way I want it 30K)
Jeep Commander Unlimited. Luxurious, way too expensive for me (the way I want it 45K)
Nissan Xterra. Awesome engine, plain Jane interior (the way I want it 29K)
Hummer H3. Hummer prestige, small windows, but still cool (the way I want it 37K)

#17 ·
towing capacity was surprisingly weak on the Hummer and Jeep Rubicon. The Hummer uses the Chevy colorado engine. weak sauce. If Toyota doesn't keep the FJ down in price then I'll end up buying an Xterra used or getting a good deal on a 2006

#18 ·
marketable said:
towing capacity was surprisingly weak on the Hummer and Jeep Rubicon. The Hummer uses the Chevy colorado engine. weak sauce. If Toyota doesn't keep the FJ down in price then I'll end up buying an Xterra used or getting a good deal on a 2006
Yeah, if they can't beat those other prices for what I want, I will spend $5K on a new crate performance engine for the Bronco, pull the body and redo the entire suspension and frame with undercoating and still be out less money on a vehicle capable of kicking the FJ's ass.

They need to consider these things when they come up with pricing. It's not like the enthusiasts don't have other options. There are a couple of companies in the country that completely rebuild old FJ40's 60's and 80's and their prices for a completely redone -- KICK BUTT -- vehicle are lower by $10K. So they need to keep this reasonable or the FJ Cruiser forum will end up becoming the "RESTORED FJ40 Forum".

#19 ·
I guess I should probably go to Ojai this weekend, else some of you will be very mad at me for wasting a ticket! I just need to go to UPS and pick up my package (I assume all the info and ticket is inside). I'd love to know who the bright one is that sent a UPS shipment to a PO Box! Luckily, the nice folks at the local office sent a postcard telling me they had it :)

Jason
San Luis Obispo

#20 ·
You see Jason, someone really wants you to go to this thing. Cowboy up and get that package. The FJ Cruiser community is relying on you.

#21 ·
n6opv said:
I guess I should probably go to Ojai this weekend, else some of you will be very mad at me for wasting a ticket! I just need to go to UPS and pick up my package (I assume all the info and ticket is inside). I'd love to know who the bright one is that sent a UPS shipment to a PO Box! Luckily, the nice folks at the local office sent a postcard telling me they had it :)

Jason
San Luis Obispo

Any new news is good news at this point. Don't just go for us, go for yourself...but keep us all in mind!! Ah, hell, Just go for us :D

#22 ·
Jason,
You must go. This is history in the making. Some day you can tell your grandkids that you've passed your FJC down to how you went to Ojai in 2005 to see one before it was released into the wild.
And while you're there ask them about pricing will ya? Tell them under $30K is the magic price point.

Here's to Percy still having a smile on his face after the FJC pricing is released!

#24 ·
Do you honestly think that they haven't already determined features, options, and pricing? My guess is that pricing was determined long ago in order to get everything right and distributed to dealers prior to the release date.

This is a truck. Whether it is any good remains to be seen. However, Toyota realizes that with just 30K-40K units to be made availbale, and with most of acting like dogs in heat, they can price it just about anywhere they want.

#25 ·
That's not true, edadis. Initially, the price will be above window, with the low supply, but the marketing people know they have to place it within striking distance of enthusiasts, relative to other class entries from Nissan, Jeep, etc. Toyota always has a primium attatched, because of the preceived Toyo quality, but in this instance they also have to watch for cannibalism of 4runner and other lines. Don't forget, they're marketing this to "younger white guys", so they have to be aware of what that demographic can afford. But I think they're going to be surprised when most of the buyers turn out to be guys in their 40's (like me)... Just like Honda when they couldn't give the Element away to its target demo, 20-somethings, and instead sold (and still sell) most of 'em to middle-aged women.

And of course all the options and features are set for now -- but they ain't set for next year when the prices will be lower! So with lots of pressure from the people who will be buying the next production run, who knows what we can get....? Front and rear lockers? 2" lift options? ... Factory winch that can be removed and placed in a rear receiver... Just dreaming.

I really expect ~ 33K for a top loaded 4x4, perhaps more if that includes a Nav system... If they're lower, I'll be happy as a clam at high tide. Although, as someone elsewhere on this forum pointed out... I can get a fully remanufactured FJ for 30K that would only hold its value, or increase, and be a kick-ass vehicle to boot.

Spikey. :rolleyes:

#26 ·
I totally agree with edadis...about the dog in heat part. And pricing and options being set now. But whether the lucky bastages that get to go to Ojai tomorrow will find out any new information is the big question. Here's a thought: At high noon tomorrow let's all say out loud, no matter where you are, "The 4x4 FJC of my dreams will be under $30K!" Maybe they will hear us out in CA.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.