Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Doors panels are off as I will be upgrading the speakers. I have some dynamat I wanted to place on the doors.

The door has a plastic barrier all the way around it (see pic below). Would you recommend removing the plastic seal and putting down the dynamat in its place?

Any other tips with regards to applying dynamat (or any other noise reduction material)?

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
141 Posts
Hi,

Doors panels are off as I will be upgrading the speakers. I have some dynamat I wanted to place on the doors.

The door has a plastic barrier all the way around it (see pic below). Would you recommend removing the plastic seal and putting down the dynamat in its place?

Any other tips with regards to applying dynamat (or any other noise reduction material)?

Thanks!
That is only the vapor barrier. Dynamat is best placed on the inner side of the outer door skin, and you will have to remove this plastic barrier to get to that surface.

·
Registered
76 Posts
In addition to Dynamat, which is a Constrained Layer Damper (CLD), you'll want to also have a decoupling foam to go between the door panel and the metal skin. So consider ordering something with that ability. Resonix is a new brand made by a fellow audio enthusiast I know, and if you want to buy DIY, you can go to www.thefoamfactory.com and use something closed-cell like Neoprene. I usually order big enough batches for a few builds, since I'm an enthusiast fabricator and usually have people that want work done lined up. 1/8" for tight areas, 1/4" for most other places. I used Sprayway adhesive spray to get it to stick to the panels.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Peel back the poly liner by heating the black adhesive with a hair dryer. That way you can just stick it back in place after installing the sound deadening stuff.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Ditch the plastic, and you'll want to cover those big holes. There are some suitable deadening materials to go over the holes like second skin luxury liner. I just made covers out of sheet steel to cover them, then applied deadener over that.

In addition to Dynamat, which is a Constrained Layer Damper (CLD), you'll want to also have a decoupling foam to go between the door panel and the metal skin. .
This is excellent advise, I used ensolite foam over my raammat. ( RAAMaudio - Automotive sound deadening products ) I also used Fast rings to make sure those waves aren't getting in between the door and the card. https://www.amazon.com/FAST-Rings-3-Piece-Speaker-Enhancement/dp/B016LFVKHY

It took a bit of work but I have zero rattle with 8's in my doors. Powerful mids makes the ladies happy. :hitit:

·
Registered
278 Posts
jigaloo,

There are many youtube videos on how to sound proof a vehicle. Additionally, there are numerous products on the market. Do a little research before jumping in. Lanson has provided good advice to include closed cell foam to absorb mid range frequencies and prevent squeaks between plastic and metal. Use proper materials designed for automotive sound proofing. Don't use Home Depot items.

To answer your question, Yes you can use a sheet of Dynamat as a vapor barrier but there are better materials for that purpose.

·
Registered
278 Posts
jigaloo,

Attached is a photo of my recent sound deadening project. After adding a dynamat type material and closed cell foam to the door skins I used some leftover Soundskins material from a previous project for a vapor barrier. Soundskins is a 3 part product; Butyl, Foil, and Acoustic Foam.

Hope this photo helps.

Attachments

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
jigaloo,

Attached is a photo of my recent sound deadening project. After adding a dynamat type material and closed cell foam to the door skins I used some leftover Soundskins material from a previous project for a vapor barrier. Soundskins is a 3 part product; Butyl, Foil, and Acoustic Foam.

Hope this photo helps.
Very helpful!

Thanks everyone for the guidance.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts