Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m in the middle of changing my oil on my 2013 FJC.
I took off the filter clip to un screw the filter housing. Now when I put the housing back on the clip doesn’t make contact with the case to prevent the filter from backing out.
Is this normal? If the clip doesn’t make a stop against the case what’s the point of the clip?
Or do I need a new clip as this one seems to short.
Please help as I’ve come to a hault trying to finish my oil change.

THANK YOU!!

·
Registered
625 Posts
Save the clip in your tool box. It is a waste of time to worry about. I have ran mine for years without it. As hard as they are to remove I have never had one loosen or leak.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
Save the clip in your tool box. It is a waste of time to worry about. I have ran mine for years without it. As hard as they are to remove I have never had one loosen or leak.
+1. Took mine off in 2009. Never had the filter housing back out. You dont need it.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the reply’s.
I ended up pinching the clip a little to be sure it stayed in place, but what a dumb design.
This was my first oil change since getting my FJC, and I’ve yet to do an oil change on my 4Runner since the dealer took care of the first one.
What I can say, and wished I had known earlier is the the oil filter was tight, so tight I had to use a breaker bar to get it loose. Again a dumb design, thank goodness I bought the Motivx filter tool other wise I don’t this I would have been able to get it off.
I guess if it recommended, I will replace the plastic housing with the metal.

Thanks again

1 - 4 of 4 Posts