Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know it's a bit of an oxymoron but want to put a aftermarket exhaust on but dont want it to be super loud and drone. from reading around and checking youtube it sounds like gibsons and dynomax seem to be pretty good but hard to tell from a video. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Magnaflow by far is the quietest. I have had Gibson, Elelbrock, Borla and AFE on mine and the Magnaflow is the quietest for everyday driving. It doesn't drone like the others.

·
Premium Member
1,718 Posts
Magnaflow by far is the quietest. I have had Gibson, Elelbrock, Borla and AFE on mine and the Magnaflow is the quietest for everyday driving. It doesn't drone like the others.
How is the magnaflow compared to the trd exhaust, i have 08tt and hate the drone of it, I want a quiet, performane exhaust, I'd prefer not to hear it at all....

·
Premium Member
2,125 Posts
I know it's a bit of an oxymoron but want to put a aftermarket exhaust on but dont want it to be super loud and drone. from reading around and checking youtube it sounds like gibsons and dynomax seem to be pretty good but hard to tell from a video. Any thoughts?
FJ's...Should be seen.....AND heard :lol:

·
Premium Member
2,125 Posts
^^^ ANd thats a sound that cast fear and excitement at the same time!! WIfe simply wont budge on giving up that much money for charger for mine:mecry:

·
Registered
173 Posts
Look at something from the Flowmaster Hushpower line. Designed specifically to not be obnoxious.

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
I have the Magnaflow and love it. It is very quiet up until you get to 2500 RPM or so. The M/Ts help with not hearing it though. I am having trouble trying to understand the concept of "quiet exhaust". My ******* mind is not programmed for such things.

·
Registered
671 Posts
I have the Magnaflow an it is very quiet. Absolutely zero drone, but when you stomp on it, you can definitely hear it. IMO it's the perfect muffler for a DD.

·
fka gremlin2050
1,775 Posts
my magnaflow is far from quiet...but i did not get a pre-made catback. just stay stock!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok thanks for the responses I have another question, is it better to get a catback system or just replace the muffler? most catback seem to have 2.5" pipes and the stock pipes are 2.5" right? I know most catback stuff doesn't give much power gains just sound gains. So if one is looking for sound it would be better to get just a muffler?

·
Registered
671 Posts
Yes the stock piping is 2.5 in. If you are just looking for sound you can save quite a bit by going with just the muffler. That's what I did. Use the $300 you save for something else.

I can guarantee if you get a Magnaflow, you will be very pleased with it.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Man, I'd love to quiet that exhaust note too. There's a TON of room right under the cargo area, would adding resonators quiet it? I'm not a muffler expert, by any means, but would a larger muffler up in that space help quiet it?

·
Premium Member
6,519 Posts
Man, I'd love to quiet that exhaust note too. There's a TON of room right under the cargo area, would adding resonators quiet it? I'm not a muffler expert, by any means, but would a larger muffler up in that space help quiet it?
Yes, you can add a OE resonator from a 4runner and it will quiet the exhaust down.

DEWFPO

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
Yes, you can add a OE resonator from a 4runner and it will quiet the exhaust down.

DEWFPO
x2. The quietest exhaust is going to be the stock exhaust with a resonator added just before the exhaust tip.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts