Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Pretty cool. If you search the forum there is a write-up on installing airbags in the rear coils that prevent the back from sagging with a load on. Designed for trailering, but you could use it.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
what bike carrier is that?

i've been looking for something to transport my 2007 GSX-R 600 to the track
My friend built it, he tried to install it to an FX45 and it couldn't take it so we put it on the FJ and it was okay but I got about 1.5-2" drop with it loaded on. I think the tounge weight is 500 on the FJ and it's a little over that.

I'm a little worried it's too much weight but the bike seems fine going down the road. Remember the factory hitch is secured with only a couple bolts to the frame so I'm a little worried.

Also his R1 is an 06 and a little lighter than my 09. I really don't want to dump a 12K bike going to track day because it's too much for the hitch.
Just wondering what everyone thinks..

·
Registered
427 Posts
I cant tell, are there other supports bolted to the frame as well? Or is it only using the reciever of the vehicle (like a trailer)? And if so would that not be too much weight for the reciever since all the load is going down towards the ground rather than being pulled as it was intended too? Im not knocking the idea, I like it....it just seems like alot of weight thats all. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
116 Posts
You know, the more I think of it, you'd be better off getting a small trailer. You could pick one up off Craigslist for short money, probably less than you have into the carrier and adding airbags. Much more versatile and safer.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Trailer means 55mph speed limit and right lane.

Yes, technically you might be just over the limit, but realistically, you're fine. I HAVE seen someone drop a bike off one, but I think that was due to using canyon dancers (I go up thru the body work and strap to the triple. And I've dropped a bike off a trailer after a strap broke too, so there's never any guarantee...). There are 6 heavy bolts that hold the hitch to the frame and I'd say it's as good as any aftermarket hitch (even if intuitively it may not SEEM like it).

The airbags are just about a must, however. If you just carry the bike, then not really, but for a trackday, when you add your gear, a generator, cooler full of ice, etc, etc, etc? Yeah, you'll want to level the truck, but then, it'd be nice to do that with a big trailer too, no?

·
Premium Member
1,491 Posts
Personally I would never use/trust a hitch mount carrier. Probably, perfectly safe to use and I have No sound reason other than visually it looks like it'll fall off/break off. LoL

Heres to R1's and track days!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts