Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Here’s what the wider version looks like mounted to the FJ. Good luck in your search.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
275 Posts
I used a Front Runner roof rack on mine, I like aluminum. If you are trying to get the tent to sit lower (as you should) be prepared to struggle tightening the mounting bolts for the tent.

There won't be a lot of room to work with in the space between the roof and the bottom of the tent. Have a set of ratchet wrenches and maybe an 18" ratchet available.

It gets easier once you learn how to abuse your hands/wrists getting in there. :)

Edit: Make sure when you place the tent on the new rack that the 3 latches on the tent can drop all the way down when releasing them (the cross bars of the rack can/will keep them from dropping). If they do not drop all the way down you won't be able to raise up the tent, the latches need to drop enough to free themselves from the roof of the tent. Trust me, I learned this the hard way!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nice words of advice. It was not easy with the OEM version. Looking for a possible quick release system.
thanks

·
Registered
275 Posts
Nice words of advice. It was not easy with the OEM version. Looking for a possible quick release system.
thanks
Front Runner has a quick release system too ........... $$$$$ :cry:

I'd look at this one too!

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
I chose the Prinsu rack because it is all aluminum, and gives you access to the entire 80:20 aluminum framing system to allow you to build/add/modify any kind of bracket, mount, adapter, etc. out of the huge selection of industrial-quality components.

Depending on the height of the standoff spacers you use, you can get a very low-profile RTT platform, but (obviously) the lower the profile, the more restricted access is to the RTT mounting hardware. If you could rig up some kind of a lift, you could very easily remove the fasteners holding the crossbars to the rack side rails and simply lift the entire RTT with attached crossbars off the rack.
Sequoia - Arya & FJ - edited.jpg

I have a series of 80:20 grab handles mounted along the sides of the rack to help get up to lock and unlock the RTT latches, and to help getting in and out of the RTT.
Handles on side of rack.JPG

1 - 9 of 9 Posts