Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Radflo (Glenn)

I was talking to a local member looking at getting your coilovers and while looking at the two options y'all have for the front of the FJ i had a question.

You have the 2.0 body shocks mated to a 650lbs rated spring and the 2.5" body shocks are mated to a 600lbs rated spring.

Why the difference in coil spring rates and why less with the 2.5" body shock?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Re: Radflo coilovers question

When we started producing the 2.5 version, we offered a 700lbs spring for the heavier applications and a 600lbs spring for the lighter applications as Eibach did not make a 650lbs spring. That is no longer the case, and I can offer all three spring rates.

Glenn

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

When we started producing the 2.5 version, we offered a 700lbs spring for the heavier applications and a 600lbs spring for the lighter applications as Eibach did not make a 650lbs spring. That is no longer the case, and I can offer all three spring rates.

Glenn
Ahhh, okay that makes sense.
I didn't see any other options when looking at Toytecs page for FJ Cruiser coilovers just
2.0-650lbs spring
2.5 - 600lbs spring

Would it be safe to assume the following?
600lbs spring rate - stock oem bumper
650lbs spring rate - light bumper and winch, or heavy steel bumper
700lbs spring rate - heavy bumper, winch + etc.
?

·
Premium Member
9,302 Posts
Running 2.5s and 700lb coil with all the above components, and no sway bar.

It's rides responsive, handling improved, and drastically reduced the body roll that was inherit since sway bar removal with previous shocks/ 600lb coils.

For what it's worth.

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Running 2.5s and 700lb coil with all the above components, and no sway bar.

It's rides responsive, handling improved, and drastically reduced the body roll that was inherit since sway bar removal with previous shocks/ 600lb coils.

For what it's worth.
Chris,
What are you running up front in terms of weight?
Bumper winch dual battery?!?

·
Premium Member
9,302 Posts
Chris,
What are you running up front in terms of weight?
Bumper winch dual battery?!?
In front of the tires:
Expedition One Diamond Style
Titan 12k winch spooled with synthetic

Other additional weights that affect:
Bud's front to back
Gobi

Last I calculated, I've added around 985 pounds, no gear, above GVW.

Weighed on a local refuse sites scale at 5985, but I can't verify the accuracy.

When I spoke with Glenn about the temporary, pre owned shocks I'm running, he suggested swapping to a lesser coil rate, truth be told. His expertise far surpasses my personal experience, but they're a perfect balance, in my opinion, and I'm sure a lot has to do with shock valving, as well.

I'm impressed with the ride, considering I had anticipated a stiffer feel.

Sway a way comes off the shelf with a 700lb coil, for what it's worth.

·
Premium Member
8,997 Posts
Weighed on a local refuse sites scale at 5985, but I can't verify the accuracy.
I can tell you they are making some mad money off of that scale.
My truck with bud builts, dual battery, steelies, 33's, camera system, frig, both bumpers, winch, with steel cable, plus the RTT weighed in at 5570 No way yours has more weight than mine, at this point. That's when started trimming the weight, with Ricochets, synthetic winch line, no more RTT. It's still heavy but I always am aware of what I can leave out.

·
Premium Member
9,302 Posts
I've been searching for race scales to use, but no one in town has the capabilities for more than a sprint car.

It was an opportunistic weigh, no doubt, and I was pretty sure it was off. Glad to know an accurate weight of a heavily loaded vehicle. I'll probably load up and hit a CAT scale at a truck stop, more for general knowledge.

·
Premium Member
4,294 Posts
I can tell you they are making some mad money off of that scale.
My truck with bud builts, dual battery, steelies, 33's, camera system, frig, both bumpers, winch, with steel cable, plus the RTT weighed in at 5570 No way yours has more weight than mine, at this point. That's when started trimming the weight, with Ricochets, synthetic winch line, no more RTT. It's still heavy but I always am aware of what I can leave out.
I bet I am well above 6,000 with my roof rack on and fridge in. My truck has similar stuff to Wikid, only add rim stiffeners on my steelies, Bud Builts instead of ricoches, heavier duty a arms, an aux fuel tank and a full length roof rack (no cool camera system though). The aux fuel tank alone is 200lbs when full.

·
Premium Member
226 Posts
So with my ARB bull bar w/winch, and the added weight of armor that is soon to be added, I should get the 700lb coil when I order my 2.5's (front & rear)? I was looking at OW's site and didn't see where I could specify that.

·
Registered
118 Posts
So with my ARB bull bar w/winch, and the added weight of armor that is soon to be added, I should get the 700lb coil when I order my 2.5's (front & rear)? I was looking at OW's site and didn't see where I could specify that.
The Overland Warehouse kit comes standard with a 700lbs/in coil spring unless you ask for anything different. This would be the correct rate if you have a heavy vehicle.

Glenn

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
Call Andries at OW... He can set you up with the correct package. The OW 2.5 package comes standard with the 700 lbs coils, but they can work up any configuration your looking for.

·
Premium Member
226 Posts
The Overland Warehouse kit comes standard with a 700lbs/in coil spring unless you ask for anything different. This would be the correct rate if you have a heavy vehicle.

Glenn
Thanks Glenn!

·
Premium Member
226 Posts
Call Andries at OW... He can set you up with the correct package. The OW 2.5 package comes standard with the 700 lbs coils, but they can work up any configuration your looking for.
Perfect, thanks liddown! Subscribing to reference at order time. :)

·
Premium Member
9,302 Posts
I'll attest the with the weight of additional components in previous post above, the 700lb coils ride great, respond great, and (my perception) corrected the body roll I was experiencing after removing sway bar, with previous coil overs.

·
Premium Member
226 Posts
I'll attest the with the weight of additional components in previous post above, the 700lb coils ride great, respond great, and (my perception) corrected the body roll I was experiencing after removing sway bar, with previous coil overs.
Oh, nice, after I install them, I will definitely disconnect the sway bar and try it out!

·
Premium Member
9,302 Posts
Don't forget to ask for your free spanner wrench for being a Forum member :cheers:
I can't stress how critical this is. Adjusting is easy, if you have the right tool.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts