Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. So I'm going to be purchasing everything for a suspension lift within the next week and I wanted to get some input. I've read some posts on the forum already in regards to these questions, but just wanted to see if anyone could share any more experience that would help me make a decision.

For UCA's I was thinking the Camburg Racing with uniball option. However, I had a friend who recently told me that UCA's with a uniball in Utah will lead to a super squeaky suspension after a while due to the road salt and grime and dust when off roading and recommended the Icon UCA's with the delta joint. Just curious if anyone has any experience either way with this.

I'm currently looking at either Radflo or King 2.5" shocks with remote reservoirs all the way around. With Wheeler 1.5" coils in the back, and 700lb spring rates on the front to deal w/ the bumper/winch I'll be ordering at the same time. I'm curious if anyone has any experience with either provider or any information that would be helpful in this decision too.

Thanks everyone!!

·
Premium Member
18,336 Posts
For what it is worth - I have been running Total UCA with Uniballs for almost 6 years (~85K mi) - never squeaked once. When washing the FJ a quick rinse in the wheel well making sure I get flow on the UCA is all I have done. Recently I had the TriFlow out for another project and figured I would hit the uniballs with a little lube.

I will be replacing the uniballs in the next couple week - the whole front end is getting new pivots so the UCA are to.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Mikey, I'm part of a FB group as well for FJ's in my community and most of the guys on there shared a similar experience with uniballs so I think the person that steered me away from them must have not taken care of them.

·
Registered
90 Posts
FWIW, I’ve just installed the TC UniBalls with Fox DSC 2.5’s and they squeaked at first but then I greased them now they are quiet. It’s a huge difference between the new setup and stock!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
9,563 Posts
I would go with any UCA other than Camburg. Their uniball is 1.25" and hits the coil on extended travel coilover at full droop. You have to clock the springs just right to avoid contact. I have Total Chaos which is the only one that I know of with a stainless uniball. Yes they can squeak. Big deal. If it deters you go with the Delta joint.

Radflo vs King? Choose a color. I'd go King.

·
Registered
8,007 Posts
I had Icon's all the way around on my FJ before I had it SAS'd and swapped them over to the 4-Runner Trail Edition I got to replace it as my daily driver. They've been rebuilt once but I decided to go ahead and replace them since they were getting long in the tooth. On advice from my buddy Steve Schaefer, who own's Sonoran Steel and is about as knowledgeable as anyone out there regarding 4-wheeling components, I went with remote reservoir Radflo's all around. Haven't spent much time driving around since they were installed but they seem REALLY nice.

·
Registered
6,779 Posts
I`m running All Pro UCA 1.25 uniballs and Kings 2.5 for the last 8 years with no squeaking. I did finally have to get the Kings rebuilt last year, Otherwise no problems....Its my daily driver and I do offroad a couple times a month also so its not a mall crawler :)

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That's awesome, how long have you had that setup for? Did you get the CO's powder coated?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have Radflo COs and Icon Uca with Delta Joints So far they have held up
Flawlessly. And I have wheeled pretty hard with this set up

That's awesome, how long have you had that setup for? Did you get the CO's powder coated?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Also i believe you can get better rear springs than Wheelers . I have had great luck with the Toytech superflex rears . But have since went with the Metal Tech Long travel rear setup . Every little bit helps .
I was looking into them only because they're one of the only 1.5" lift springs I could find. I'm planning to do a 2.5" approx lift on the front, so if I did a 1.5" lift on the back then it should only be around 1" higher than the rear, but I've now started looking into the 2" option from Radflo.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I would go with any UCA other than Camburg. Their uniball is 1.25" and hits the coil on extended travel coilover at full droop. You have to clock the springs just right to avoid contact. I have Total Chaos which is the only one that I know of with a stainless uniball. Yes they can squeak. Big deal. If it deters you go with the Delta joint.

Radflo vs King? Choose a color. I'd go King.

That's good to know -- I've been doing a deep dive into all of this and what I've taken away so far is that a uniball that's properly cleaned and lubed might very well be ok, but a delta joint or JBA won't -- but the ubiball might be a little stronger -- maybe I'm wrong, hard to sort through everything. However, this is the first time I've heard of that issue w/ camburgs so I'll have to look into that.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If you are worried about squeaky uniballs, then I would go with the JBA UCAs. Linked here. They are popular on Tacomas and use a GM ball joint that can be found at most auto parts stores. They are supposed to give more articulation than a uniball too FWIW.

I remember seeing them on a post a while back before seriously looking into this in prep to buy, but had forgotten about them. I've been reading about them this morning and they seem like a solid option I might go with. Thanks for the post.

·
Banned
2,220 Posts
No I did not get anything powder coated . They come Red from toytec . They are Radflo COs You can get them with the remote resi also . Or Add later if you want . I have had these on for about a year and in that year . Moab 2 times . Rubicon 1 FJ summit . King of the Hammers. Lots of snow trips . Parts of Fordyce . And a bunch of local trails . I can not say they are better than a uni Ball , but I did not want sqeeks . I would give toytec a call . Nothing against Wheelers. They are 15 min from my house . I just think you can do better . Another option is Dobison I have seen some good chatter about there stuff . The reason I did not get remote Resi is the type of wheeling I do is very slow speed so I did not feel the need . But if I ever need to get them rebuilt I may add the resi just to get some overlander points .

·
Premium Member
16,122 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
No I did not get anything powder coated . They come Red from toytec . They are Radflo COs You can get them with the remote resi also . Or Add later if you want . I have had these on for about a year and in that year . Moab 2 times . Rubicon 1 FJ summit . King of the Hammers. Lots of snow trips . Parts of Fordyce . And a bunch of local trails . I can not say they are better than a uni Ball , but I did not want sqeeks . I would give toytec a call . Nothing against Wheelers. They are 15 min from my house . I just think you can do better . Another option is Dobison I have seen some good chatter about there stuff . The reason I did not get remote Resi is the type of wheeling I do is very slow speed so I did not feel the need . But if I ever need to get them rebuilt I may add the resi just to get some overlander points .
Wasn’t aware that the Boss 2.5” was Radflo that’s interesting. A few people have said there’s better options than the wheelers. I spoke with Metal Tech today, and Radflo actually, both awesome companies, and I’m waiting to see if Metal Tech can make a package work out. I agree with the logic on the UCA’s - maybe Uniballs don’t squeak if properly lubed up, but maybe they do - either way delta joints don’t so that’s the route I believe I’m going along with Radflo.

Thanks for the help!

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.