Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ended up doing the very thing I was trying to avoid, which was cutting up the factory harness to install my system. Here's a video to explain

This one goes over the issue with the harness, part number 70-1761 (Metra, Harmony, etc) does not fit these trucks. I don't know the model year break, but I would bet its around 2011 or so.

So this one will be wired old-school, solder and shrink.

I'll also be working out the rearview camera issue (using a kick-panel connector splice/tap), and steering wheel controls for my Idatalink Maestro SW box. Once that's all done, I can run RCA's and patch the dash back up. Its a shame though, in this day and age we should be able to source correct harnesses.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
70-1761 is for headunits that are not JBL.
This may be true, but none of that is explained anywhere by Metra, or anybody else that I could find.

However, I can tell you that this problem extends beyond just Metra and similar companies. Last night, I set out to wire up my iDatalink Maestro SW box to get steering wheel controls going. The iDatalink website called for Connector E43, a 20 pin connector (called the "secondary" connector) pins 6, 7, and 8 to be connected to the SW box. They got 2 out of the 3 colors right, but I went just by pin and completed the task. It was successful. Sometimes, you just have to go by pin.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts