Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of getting a snorkel, but wondering, does it collect rain and junk?

What kind of maintenance is required? Is there a filter that needs to be replaced?

What brand do you recommend? Thanks.

·
Registered
84 Posts
the snorkel head is designed to spit rain out.. rain is not a problem. the water hits the back of the head and drains down the side and out the drains in the head. there are also drains in your oem air box, and the pre filter thing.

as for junk. usually have little berries and leaves in my intake after a drive though the trees. other than that no problem. if you are concerned about junk you can put a pre filter on the head, these are also usually hydrophobic and will help with the water side too.

you have nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
I haven't worried about it since install years ago. You still have an air filter. There are a couple holes in the bottom of the stock airbox that I left alone in case water actually gets that far. I don't bother with spinning anything around and have driven through some heavy rain and snow over the years.

·
Premium Member
2,204 Posts
I have had a few small sticks get in it since where I go is heavy forested. No worries about rains . I bought an E bay special & has worked well for over 4 years. Insure that you get one with a temp plate.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I just cut a piece of window screen and put it on before I put on the head.
I can easily take off the head and remove the "stuff" that people think is funny to put in the snorkel. ie: cigarette butts etc

·
Registered
771 Posts
Facing forward is fine. I don't get any standing water in the air box. I have even ran it through the carwash several times. The only time I would turn it around is if I believe I'm going to be constantly splashing the snorkel head or going through snow since I have heard people having issues with falling snow.

Besides that you will get the occasional bug. I went with the PRG snorkel.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
I turn mine around in heavy snow because it almost got clogged w/ snow/ice buildup. Never had a problem with rain. I used to get lots of bugs in it until I used the window screen under the head. Also, the dealership won't wash my FJ when I take it in for service because they're afraid of getting water in my snorkel, which I explained won't happen, but they still won't

·
Premium Member
2,204 Posts
I turn mine around in heavy snow because it almost got clogged w/ snow/ice buildup. Never had a problem with rain. I used to get lots of bugs in it until I used the window screen under the head. Also, the dealership won't wash my FJ when I take it in for service because they're afraid of getting water in my snorkel, which I explained won't happen, but they still won't
Tell the jag offs at the dealer to wash your Fj un at. LOL

·
Registered
379 Posts
I have one of those vortex filters that pretty much catches everything. Of course I've never had a cigarette butt, (that would chap my ass) but it stops all of the bits of debris so well that my filter still looks brand new one year later.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I have the air box drain holes filled and never found standing water in the filter area. Just bugs, sticks, and feathers.

·
Registered
2007 FJC 4x4.
9,863 Posts
I have the air box drain holes filled and never found standing water in the filter area. Just bugs, sticks, and feathers.

Where are the drain holes? In the larger piece just before the filter?

Sent from my iPhone

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Turn it around in the snow (super heavy storms only) or your filter will clog rather quickly.

As far as maintenence I wash mine out every few months. Just disconnect the airbox and blast some water through it.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Make it easy on yourself; Buy a Mushroom Cap, made for dry dusty terrain, benefit is it keeps chaff, moister and snow out of the snorkle...

-http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=350903129597

1 - 15 of 15 Posts