Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Doing a bit of research on what I want to do with the stereo as I'm getting tired of riding around in silence. Starting reading up on Rainbow speakers and I've been seeing lots of good things. I wanted to see if anyone here has them, heard them, etc.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
why are you riding around in silence?
i don't listen to the radio because i hate the ads. i bought the truck used and the previous owner had changed the head unit but there's no aux input for my ipod. hence the silence. although, i have gotten really really good at identifying all the squeaks and rattles. :rofl:

·
Premium Member
7,729 Posts
Are they made in San Fran? LOL. Dude, you need an FM transmitter, like 10 bucks!

·
Registered
334 Posts
I have not listened to them myself, but in reading around over the years I have seen a general consensus that they are high quality speakers.

If you are critical about what you like, then you may have to find somewhere to hear a pair - all speakers sound a little different and the only way to know if a pair suits your tastes is to hear them first, especially if you are going to go up the range to their more expensive lines.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Oh thats hot! I need some!

·
Registered
832 Posts
Yeah I've read about Rainbows for years, though never listened to them. Very high quality product.

My feelings on super high end audio in a vehicle like the FJ....the noise of the vehicle at highway speeds and other noise imperfections of the beast, tend to drown out the crispness/clarity of such high end speakers. And if you don't do proper sound insulation on the doors and other mounting locations, it also reduces the effect.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Yeah I've read about Rainbows for years, though never listened to them. Very high quality product.

My feelings on super high end audio in a vehicle like the FJ....the noise of the vehicle at highway speeds and other noise imperfections of the beast, tend to drown out the crispness/clarity of such high end speakers. And if you don't do proper sound insulation on the doors and other mounting locations, it also reduces the effect.
I would respectfully disagree. In fact, I would argue the opposite. As you go louder with stereo equipment, typically the higher end will appreciate being pushed and not distort as much as the cheaper stuff...thus giving you a better sound quality at a higher level. Having said that, I don't think going to Rainbow is required to have that take place. There are myriad speaker companies out there that provide quality sound...but it's subjective. Go to a few places, listen to what they have and get what appeals to you. Give it quality power with some clean amps and you'll be happy. Don't get caught up in a name. I have Focals in my Tacoma and I'd never buy them again. They were $1100 a set new.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts