Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a BD FJ, and have blacked it out with a white bezel. I just bought some factory black steelies and 285/70-17 BFG KM2 with RWL. I'm not sure if I should put the white lettering in or out. I was considering painting the center caps white also. I was going to powder coat the rims white but I think they will a pain to keep clean and my guy wanted $75 a rim to do it. If anyone has any pictures/suggestions I would love some feed back.

·
Registered
630 Posts
If they are BFG's... then white letters out. Any other brand of tire.....white letters in.

·
Registered
5,078 Posts
white letters in, besides if you go offroad you will soon have very large whitewall .. and it just looks better imo. the fj is not a ss super sport. now you decide..:bandit:

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
With this set of BFG's I went with the letters out for the "Old School" look.
They are a pain in the butt to keep clean and are getting chewed up on the trail. The next set is going to have the letters in.
If you want the old school look put them out. If you don't care for old school then put them in.:bandit:

·
Registered
3,866 Posts
Depending on your wheeling conditions (it's rocks out here), it can be hard to keep them looking nice... mine look terrible, but I love me some letters! (some kind of bizarre fetish I think)

This is one of mine about 1/2 way down the first trail run I took them on....

·
Registered
87 Posts
I prefer the RWL inside, as well, on black steelies and center caps - much less flashy and low maintenance. Also, as mentioned above, rocks and curbs don't treat the RWL very nicely.

·
Premium Member
2,303 Posts
For the reasons already stated, if you mainly use your rig on the street --white lettering out -- and if you mainly use your rig off-road -- white letting in or better yet just get blackwalls.

It always amuses me to see the white lettering peaking out from underneath a car when the tire is reversed. Doesn't look right and it's kinda like catching a peak of a woman's underwear, just not as sexy. ;)

·
Premium Member
893 Posts
In a real in the hind end to keep clean

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Does anyone have any ideas on me painting the center caps white on my steelies?

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
For me, if you have silver wheels, white letters out.

If you have black wheels, black sidewalls. Black wheels with the white letters out reminds me too much of nascar.

·
Registered
630 Posts
What if your wheels are black and silver?? (like mine....which I haven't mounted yet)

They are going on a Black Cherry. The wheels are black with a silver machined finish, although they look like chrome in the picture. Also, I plan in the very near future to black-out my bumpers, mirrors, door handles, and bezel.

Here are my tires that are also waiting to be mounted...

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the help FJers. I'm trying to do the "old school" look. White roof, white bezel, blacked out silver trim, steel wheels, and FJ-40 badges. Just not sure what I want to do with the rims, I was going to powder coat them white but it would be big bucks ($75 per rim and $20 per rim to media blast them). I've already spent $1,200 on tires, $300 on rims, and $300 on Hella's tire pressure control system (great gadget by the way). So I think I'm going to get extra center caps and paint them to match the roof and bezel and see which one I like better. I only need 4 because I have a spare tire jerry can mount I use. And put the RWL out, they are BFG's so I think they will go with the look I'm going for. I'll post so pictures of each when I get them done.

·
Premium Member
3,642 Posts

White lettering out!

-

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
I have the White letters out on mine, but once i upgrade sizes and get the same tires I think im going to try it with the white letters in.

·
Premium Member
5,235 Posts
In :D
I ran white letters out on past rigs, but with the 4Runner I had, I tried the letters in on the last set of tires, and I liked it better.

Less maintenance for one, no lettering to keep pretty looking.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts