Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
'14 6MT, Cement Gray, TRD/Off-Road/Convenience/JBL, mods mods mods mods
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wanted to share a mod I learned from TacomaWorld and recently adapted for my FJ. This is for mounting a RAM mount to the A pillar bolt without any drilling required.

For context, I am hellbent on modding my rig whilst trying to prevent too much dash clutter. I am not a fan of the traditional cell phone mounts that stick to the windshield or the dash, because I find them to be cheap and not solid enough to withstand the cabin motion of fun driving.

Not only will this mod give you a super solid cell phone mount that puts the phone at eye level without blocking the windshield, but it also is very easily reversible if you need to remove the A Pillar panel.

Essentially, this mod will turn a clamp base into a bolt that holds the handle onto the A Pillar. Because you need to have a sufficiently long post to allow for the RAM mount clamps to grip the base with enough clearance, you need to use a longer-than-necessary screw and load it up with nuts so that it is properly spaced out while also acting as the bolt for the handle. If you've read the TW version of this mod, it's important to know that the depth of the A-pillar clamp base is longer in the FJ compared to the Tacoma because of the different style of grab handle used as well as the more acute angle needed to properly align the clamp arm.

For this mod, you will need the following:
M6x1.00 bolt, 80mm long (1pc) - can be either a socket cap screw or a standard Phillips round head screw, your choice
M6x1.00 nuts (4pc)
M6 lock washer (1pc)
M6 flat washer (4pc)
Phillips screwdriver
Flathead screwdriver
Allen wrench (if using a socket cap screw)

You will also need the following RAM mount parts:
RAM Mount X-Grip (or equivalent)
RAM Composite Double Socket Swivel & Ratchet Arm (or equivalent)
RAM Motorcycle Handlebar Clamp Base, B Series*

*The clamp base comes with M8 bolts, but you will need M6. I did see on the RAM Mounts website that an M6 version exists, but it was not available when I did this mod.

Procedure:
1) Determine where on the A Pillar you want to mount the arm. I picked the lower bolt for my setup.
2) Remove the bolt cover with a flathead screwdriver
3) Remove the M6 bolt holding on the handle
4) Create the clamp base
--Place the M6 screw through the clamp base
--Place the lock washer onto the screw
--Thread on a nut and tighten it to the point that the clamp ball does not rotate. You want to do this slowly so that you keep the screw centered inside the ball
--Alternate adding a washer and nut to the screw until you have all four nuts placed. These should be tight, but not crazy tight
--Place the last flat washer on the screw
5) Insert your new clamp base into the threaded nut in the A Pillar handle and tighten by hand. Finish tightening with the screwdriver so that it does not rotate, but is not overly tight
6) Attach the clamp arm to the base, and then the X-Grip (or whichever Ram mount you pick) to the arm
7) Tighten the clamps
8) Voilà!

·
Registered
2007 FJ M/T Arctic Silver 285/70/17 no BMC no Rub
600 Posts
I'll have to take a photo, similar setup but with short arm out the top. Make sure u use the the rubber safety straps if you are rolling around with the windows down lol.
I recently mounted a USB charging port in the switch blank next to the steering wheel tilt. Works outstanding to charge while in that mount and no cluttered wires

Reactions: kdok105

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll have to take a photo, similar setup but with short arm out the top. Make sure u use the the rubber safety straps if you are rolling around with the windows down lol.
I recently mounted a USB charging port in the switch blank next to the steering wheel tilt. Works outstanding to charge while in that mount and no cluttered wires
Nice! I definitely can see that a short arm on the upper bolt would probably locate the screen close to where I have mine. Also good call on the rubber straps! The X-Grip is pretty brawny, but I can see the scenario where fun driving quickly turns into not fun searching in mud for my phone.

One of my next projects is actually going to be hardwiring a charger near the mount. I don't have any blanks next to the column, so I'll probably put a charger in that silvery vent cover panel.

·
Registered
2007 FJ M/T Arctic Silver 285/70/17 no BMC no Rub
600 Posts
I read through this whole thing then scrolled down to the pic...
disappointed to see it interferes with the proper use of the "oh ****" handle...
L get ya a pick of mine, still gives use of the handle

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I read through this whole thing then scrolled down to the pic...
disappointed to see it interferes with the proper use of the "oh ****" handle...
🤣 I never really considered the handle as useful. I drive a manual so I generally don't have enough hands to use it anyway. For some reason everyone else in the car does when I'm driving...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts