Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I have been browsing these forums for a few years now and figured I now have something to contribute to everyone! Well I purchased the Ram Tab-Tite mount with universal seat bracket mount about 2 months ago now, and LOVE IT! Since then I have used it to watch movies from the back seat, map us in and out of trails here in SoCal, and to keep the passenger/girl friend occupied durring long trips to the trail head.

FYI: (I use my first gen iPad 3g for gps mapping with the topo maps app, works excellent!)

I was sold the first time some one mentioned using the iPad as a gps with topo's so I did a little research and I think this package is the best fit for the FJ Cruiser. It's made by Ram mount so you know it is made well. This model has the universal holder for both generation iPad's with just about any type of case including the otter-box! I use a rubber sleeve case because it is the fastest to take in and out of the holder. I purchased it dirrectly from them here: RAM POD I Universal Vehicle Mount with Tab-Tite? Cradle for the Apple iPad & iPad 2

Retails $83.87 + shipping
Product Number: RAM-B-316-1-TAB3

It mounts to the passenger's seat bracket using the single bolt. Instructions say to mount above bracket but that wont work for us.

Doing this will make the seat uneven, but I went and bought 2 new bolts for the seat brackets and some washers to even it out.

The "Flexible rod" is just a piece of aluminum that can bent with some significant force to pose it into a position of your liking.

The mount is very sturdy at the base but wobbles slightly while driving due to the fact that the iPad weighs so much haha. No problems with the slight wobble however even when offroading.

The holder has very convenient and sturdy positions. Just twist the knob and driver can see or passenger gets full view.

The cradle itself is easy to use. It has a fixed bottom, and an adjustable top that is spring loaded to hold the iPad in its location.

The lips of the mount are designed to swivel up and down... I was skeptical the first time i felt them but I have yet to have any problems.

The ipad is held perfectly inside the mount and gives great views for all passengers believe it or not!

All in all I would give this a 9/10. Just because I think it could use a slightly longer rod and a little more rotation would be nice but it is exactly what I was expecting and needed! Definitely would recommend it!

·
Premium Member
4,051 Posts
I made my own bracket plus RAM arm/holder and it's very sturdy.

·
Premium Member
616 Posts
Not really an iPad, but it's a RAM mount for my iPhone that I use for my GPS. The RAM mount sits on a swivel base and a panavise mount that attaches to a radio surround bolt.

Just thought I'd post that up here.

·
Premium Member
4,051 Posts
Very cool NDA! How did you attach the arm to the dash? Did you need to reinforce it?
The bracket is just a square bar, drilled two holes to the dash.
I use two long M6 bolts and serrated flange nut with large washers inside as reinforcement.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sure, the top being the tab that holds the top lip of the ipad on the doc. This rotates up and down to accommodate different sized cases. I hope that explains it better.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just about to order one of these for an 80 series Landcruiser in Australia. Different car, same mount.

Any chance you can do a quick video of how bad the wobble it, particularly when offroad? It all sounds fine but I'm not convinced its sturdy enough for offroad use.

·
Registered
147 Posts
hey, how does the topo app work when you don't have a data connection, say, out on a trail?
I have that app and a different ram mount on the way. I havent put the app through its paces but from what ive seen, you select an area and it downloads the maps for that area. Id assume it downloads at all resolutions but not sure yet.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Is it the Gaia app??

I saw the fjc magazine article and bought an iPad just for that!! Saving up the cash for the fj ram mount then the set up is done

Running gaia, navigon, wifi finder, the googlemaps that came on the iPad, all thru the bad elf gps receiver.... Haven't had a chance to run the topographic map thru it's paces but I'm happy with the navigon software.. Definitely need a ram mount!! Super sketchy driving and looking down at the iPad to see if it's all working from the passenger seat... Won't run an IPad in my fj again till I get the mount....

I messaged fjc magazine on Facebook and thet said the set up worked like a champ at the summit area weeks ago.

·
Registered
147 Posts
By the pic he is def running the same one i am. Its called "offline topo maps".
Theres another one called "gps kit hd" that looks awesome. Very robust.
Just checked... My ram mount should be here on wednesday!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hey guys sorry I havent been checking lately, im in paramedic school so finding down time is few and far between ;-) But to answer your questions I am using "Topo Maps" it is an iPhone app, but magnifies perfectly and works great. Yes I have used it extensively all over california with no 3g and absolutely no cell service on my phone but the GPS works perfectly! I must say it is more accurate and gets a faster lock on my position than my phone does. It gave a general location once when I was in a steep canyon because it could only hit one satellite. To answer your other questions, the app works by first downloading the maps while you have wifi. That is the only downside, that you must know where you are going inorder to find your way around. The topos are of different dates but all of the ones I have used are still very accurate.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I installed one of these recently. I was not happy with the way it fit on the seat bolt so I changed it around.

It's tucked under a bolt and sticks out under the console: better connection, shortened up the bar so it wobbles less.

I was also unhappy with the limited pivot. I did have the bar running straight up but figured out that by having the bar come to the back as close to a right angle as possible gives you the most rotation and pivot capabilities.

Noticed one day it was a little loose at the bottom bracket so I tightened it up. After I tightened it, it wobbled more. So I loosened it up and that actually steadies it out alot. Leave it a little loose.

Another thing i did was run an extra power port and hid it under the dash. Plugged in a usb cable, ran it through the console and out near the bottom bracket. Then, snaked it through the tube before sliding it over the aluminum rod. Cord management is key.

IMG_00000052.jpg

IMG_00000050.jpg

IMG_00000051.jpg

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
^ Very nice addition! Yes I seem to have the same problem with the wobble... As far as the $99 pad fitting in this, I have no idea, as long as it is a similar size to the iPad you should be fine, but check their website to be sure.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts