Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello,
Does anyone have any experience installing the Front Rampage SRS Bodyguard?

I love my FJ, but am disappointed in that most of the plastic (inside and out) seems to mar a little too easily for an otherwise rugged 4x4. For example, I barley tapped my FJ against a concrete column in a parking garage, and now have a vertical crease on the front of my bumper. Funny how I seem damage my vehicle more in the parking lot than on the trail. :)

I really like the bodyguard as it appears to provide some level of function/protection, is reasonably priced at under $300, and well…I really like the minimalist look in that it does not completely reshape the lines of the front end.

However, the manufacturer has stated it will not install with the factory skid plate. Can anyone confirm/deny this?

Also, can anyone comment on if the following mod to the skid plate would allow me to install this item with the skid plate? Below picture is part of the install instructions for the KC brand lightbar in conjunction with the factory skid plate. The recommendation is to lop the corners of the skid off as shown.

NOTE THAT THESE INSTRUCTIONS ARE FOR THE KC LIGHTBAR AND NOT FOR THE RAMPAGE SRS BODYGUARD IN QUESTION:

I understand that I am comparing a lightbar to a bumper bar, but since they both connect under the vehicle, I suspect that they might share the same problem and solution when installing them with the factory skid plate? However, I hesitate on paying round trip shipping to find out.

Someday I would like to add a metal bumper front and rear, but that is not in the cards right now. Also, I have no intention on ditching the factory skid plate with a better one until/unless it is destroyed.

Thank You!

·
Banned
2,051 Posts
bad spelling, first post links to a sales page

I am guessing spam?

btw the product(s) pretty much are lame.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not spam, don't own a Jeep, why do you think either?

I was hoping to gain insight from other FJ owners about this product, specifically if modifying my skid plate as shown in the second link would work?

I chose to link to the products in question rather than waste memory by loading pics.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
btw the product(s) pretty much are lame.
I have asked for opinion on this product (singular) based in fact, experience, conjecture, or intellectual thought. I don't see how you have added any value to the discussion.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I've been told by a company that sells this that it DOES NOT conflict with the stock skid plate.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've been told by a company that sells this that it DOES NOT conflict with the stock skid plate.
Thank you for your input Trailteamsfj08! Needless to say, this would be ideal.

Do you know if this company does installs?

Regardless, I have been looking at how the bodyguard mounts, and I am confident that I can get it to work, even if I have to mod the skid plate. I am going to purchase this item in the not too distant future, and will post up a report when I get it installed.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
Hey Pug,
Don't take it personally when people slam you on here. I think sometimes vendors try to sneak their product in by pretending to be a member asking questions about a product.

If you are really interested in protection, you will need a replacement steel bumper. The problem with brush guards like you are considering is that they can actually cause more damage if you bump something or get hit. If you had it on when you hit the parking garage pillar, it probably would have bent the guard and pushed it into your bumper and body, causing more damage than without it. For real protection, you need a steel bumper that bolts onto the frame. I have the FabFours front and Warn Rear bumpers. I hit a concrete highway divider at highway speeds and my bumper sustained NO damage other than a scratched powdercoat. The bolt on brush guards are more for aesthetic purposes, mounting aux lights, and very light protection against brush and small sticks. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Thank you for your input Trailteamsfj08! Needless to say, this would be ideal.

Do you know if this company does installs?

Regardless, I have been looking at how the bodyguard mounts, and I am confident that I can get it to work, even if I have to mod the skid plate. I am going to purchase this item in the not too distant future, and will post up a report when I get it installed.
Shouldn't be a hard install, most likely a couple bolts.

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
If you solely want a light bar, i would just mount the lights to the front bumper like the trail teams lights are mounted. If you are looking for protection, please do not waste 300 bucks on this damage multiplier. If you do hit something, all it will do is fold back and take out more of your bumper. You are better off replacing the whole bumper with a steel bumper.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts