Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Emeritus Moderator
6,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I must say this was the hardest MOD to decide on and in the end, I’m VERY happy with my final choice. I shopped around for along time for the “right” rack which would fit my large IPF lights. I first thought about going with an ARB short rack then adding a custom stand alone BAJA style light bar. I waited along time for the light bar to be built and when I finally got it, the welder screwed up the dim on the bar and my lights would not fit…I had already bought an ARB Short rack. I decided to sell the NIB ARB rack to a board member. I gave up on the custom BAJA light bar and decided to go a different route.

During the long wait time I did a lot of thinking about what I wanted to accomplish. My goals were, I really needed a “FULL” size roof rack. The Raptor is being built as an Expedition vehicle. I need all the storage space I can get. I shopped around for a full size rack and really liked the GOBI Ranger but it only excepts 6” Off-Road lights….So, I kept looking around, I thought about buying a full size ARB then fab in an ORU Light bar to it. I spent some time doing more research and when talking with some of our venders, I heard that GOBI would build me what I was looking for. I wanted full protection for my IPF lights, so I needed a rack that would incase my large IPF’s. They are 8.5” in dia. I contacted GOBI and they said they could do it for me. I received my rack today. I have to say I’m very impressed with the quality of the roof rack, GOBI makes one fine piece of equipment. I just ordered the GOBI ladder; Shovel & Axe mount along with the Hi-Lift mount for the rack. Well, now I can’t wait to get the mounts so I can stop carrying everything in the back of the Raptor. :lol:

I haven't installed all the wiring, I'm going to start on that in the morning. I will have a lot of detailed photos showing how to install through the roof and what type of water proof conections you'll need. I'm lucky, my father is an Electrical Contractor...I get all kinds of good advise and some cool little tools too. :)

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
Sweet looking rack!

·
Premium Member
6,865 Posts
About time we see this! :clap:

Looks good Mike, its been a long wait for us and I am sure even longer for you. :D

whats the plan with the wiring, drilling a hole?
Looking forward to more pics of it. :)

·
Emeritus Moderator
6,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sweet looking rack!

About time we see this! :clap:

Looks good Mike, its been a long wait for us and I am sure even longer for you. :D

whats the plan with the wiring, drilling a hole?
Looking forward to more pics of it. :)
Thanks Jeshua...:lol:..I know, It seams like forever...I have had the lights for the rack for over 7 months now, your right it's been a long time coming..:)

nice! I also have the ranger rack, have'nt done the wiring also. I would like to see post on the install of wires and connecters used..:thinkerg:
I'm going to make it a "How To" thread. it will have detailed instructions along with the types of conectors and tools needed. :)

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
New rack looks great. I'll be following your wireing.

·
Registered
6,957 Posts
Your rig is just hard to describe! Friggin Beast!!! Can't wait to see the wiring in detail, I've been sittin on a set of lights and bar and maybe this will help me out!

·
Emeritus Moderator
6,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
New rack looks great. I'll be following your wireing.

you definetly made the right choice, it looks great and fits the rest of your mods perfectly.
I think so too. :cowsmile:

Your rig is just hard to describe! Friggin Beast!!! Can't wait to see the wiring in detail, I've been sittin on a set of lights and bar and maybe this will help me out!
Thanks, I think the write up will help you out on yours too. :)

That looks AWESOME. Gobi did right by you on that one!
I think so too, Thanks Larry :cheers:

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Just when I thought It could not get any more Bad A$$ Looking.....

·
Emeritus Moderator
6,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Emeritus Moderator
6,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Emeritus Moderator
6,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Mike,

It is tough to know what to say. There are simply no words that can be combined to give justice to the RAPTOR. It is simply the finest vehicle I have ever seen. It has gotten to the point that I am actually afraid to see it in person at this year’s summit. I fear I will soil myself. And my own ride, the ride that I love, the MountainMan's MULE as it were, will be left wanting to such a degree that despair will overtake my soul to the point of utter destruction, and that only at that last moment as final darkness is about to envelope me, not to some imaginary ruin but to an actual oblivion, the synapses within my finite mind will be bent to the breaking point. My mind will be lost and the madness will ensue that only can be cured by the tearing of currency from my possession in the attempts at acquiring so great a modification as I have recently beheld on the machine that is now, and will forever be known throughout the land, from the seashore to the peaks of Denali as... the RAPTOR

Humbly Yours, Taft

·
Emeritus Moderator
6,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Mike,

It is tough to know what to say. There are simply no words that can be combined to give justice to the RAPTOR. It is simply the finest vehicle I have ever seen. It has gotten to the point that I am actually afraid to see it in person at this year’s summit. I fear I will soil myself. And my own ride, the ride that I love, the MountainMan's MULE as it were, will be left wanting to such a degree that despair will overtake my soul to the point of utter destruction, and that only at that last moment as final darkness is about to envelope me, not to some imaginary ruin but to an actual oblivion, the synapses within my finite mind will be bent to the breaking point. My mind will be lost and the madness will ensue that only can be cured by the tearing of currency from my possession in the attempts at acquiring so great a modification as I have recently beheld on the machine that is now, and will forever be known throughout the land, from the seashore to the peaks of Denali as... the RAPTOR

Humbly Yours, Taft
WOW!...:rofl:...I'll buy you a beer at the Summit when we meet up one night. :cheers: You deserve it for that post! :D

Thanks Taft! :)

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Mike, I guess you don't need to see my AllPro rack now. You made the right choice, that is simply bad-assed. Your rig has to throw out some serious light. You could get a job on the side lighting runways for small municipal airports. See you in Ouray.
Gary

·
Premium Member
3,642 Posts
Good choice Mike, this rack is a perfect match for the Raptor.

It just keeps getting better and better.

Awesome...

:cheers:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts