Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 116 Posts

· Premium Member
11,620 Posts
[MODERATOR NOTE:
This is an abridged copy of the Raptor ECU thread with just the most relevant technical points for those wanting quick reference. For comment:

Continue to post replies in the original post:

]

G'Day,
As stated in the general thread...what did I do To my FJ....

fitted a Raptor Engine and Transmission ECU flash to Bozo yesterday.

Coupla extra bits of info to try to centralise info.

1. This ECU flash has been developed DU by Raptor, for the Dual VVTI 1GR engine, for the plus 2010 models.

2. No affiliation with Raptor, just a happy customer.

3. 4 tunes available.
stage 1 - stock FJ running 91 RON gas
stage 2 - modified FJ running 91 RON gas - mods to airbox and exhaust
stage 3 - stock FJ running 95 RON gas
stage 4 - modified FJ running 95 RON gas - mods to airbox and exhaust

DU, we have 3 levels of fuel
standard ULP = 91 ron
Super ULP = 95 ron
Premium ULP = 98 ron
Not sure what or how that relates to US gas.... ( we also have ethanol blends etc)

4. Measurements are in kw HP, not BHP.

5. Test and development FJ was a 2011 bone stock AT.

6. 1 method are offered by Raptor to obtain the flash....
buy the Powergate 3, pull your stock DAT file off the ECU, send it to them via email, they will modify the file and send it back to you with flash... upload this to your ECU ...done .... you have the ability to switch back to stock at your will as you have two DAT files, stock and modified.

7. The modified DAT is locked to your vehicle, as is the Powergate, so you cannot share it across other FJ's.

I'm not a dyno expert, and have no real knowledge how it all works .... but my butt o meter, tells me it works.
so if you have technical questions about AFR, roller size, type of Dyno used, etc..... you would be best emailing Raptor directly and speaking with Tim.

Email: [email protected]

Raptor Superchargers Australia

For those into Fakebook there is a large thingy page all about the 1GR called Toyota 1GRFE Club
Alot of info in there, apparently.

In the real world, after just one test drive, this flash ...absolutely rocks ... the power and performance increase and smooth gear shifts changes the FJ from a puddy tat into a Tiger.....
what I like is that this flash changes the transmission ECU parameters too.... so its matched to the engine enhancement.... the A750 is no longer lazy .... it really makes a huge difference to the A750......

Here is the dyno result from the Stage 3 flash, stock FJ and 95 ron.....

Cheers
Baz
:blueblob:

4th October 2019 UPDATE
Since writing this thread in early April.
Raptor have simplified the available tunes.
Currently they offer
1. All Fuel Tune
2. Highest Octane - Racer performance tune - called the 98 Tune

Airbox mods are recommended with both tunes, but testing has shown exhaust mods do not seem to indicate any performance increase.

Cheers
Baz

Attachments

· Registered
4,092 Posts
G'Day Cliffy,
I think they do ...do a tune for the s/c, but possibly only the Raptor s/c ...
It would be worth emailing Raptor .... but as the TRD s/c is only 07-09 ... it might not be relevant....
cheers
Baz
I emailed last night. Tim sent me a reply. He said they could tune a Magnuson but he has none available to work with. Dang...

· Vendor
9,694 Posts
3. 4 tunes available.
stage 1 - stock FJ running 91 RON gas
stage 2 - modified FJ running 91 RON gas - mods to airbox and exhaust
stage 3 - stock FJ running 95 RON gas
stage 4 - modified FJ running 95 RON gas - mods to airbox and exhaust

DU, we have 3 levels of fuel
standard ULP = 91 ron
Super ULP = 95 ron
Premium ULP = 98 ron
Not sure what or how that relates to US gas.... ( we also have ethanol blends etc)
FWIW. 91-93 is usually the highest I've seen here. US = (R+M)/2

91 RON = US 87
95 RON = US 91
98 RON = US 94

· Premium Member
11,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
G'Day,
The Flash tune should be good for all octanes of gas, from 87 upwards...being comparable ratio's to our octane numbers...but no real hands on way to check, all depends what you got in your gas I guess...

MT version ?..... good question...but as DU we only ever got the AT ... there is no dyno test using a Manuel ...Carte Door ?...( Faulty Towers )

From what I can gather the Alientech powergate in the US/UK ... is based on a MT ... for the 07-09 model .... but this isn't conclusive... you would need to talk to Alientech about this.....

Went for a tootle down the road this morning, and behaved myself until the engine n transmission were up to full temperature... and Bozo drove normally .... no noticeable change at suburban speeds under 2000 rpm......
then ....... decided it was only appropriate I kick it, the response +2000 rpm .... awesome.... it really comes alive +2, in all gears.... the power curve / band is smooth and fast .... shifts like silk .... it really is a different beasty +2,
I still haven't had him out on the open road / highway ..... at 60 mph plus .... but can only imagine what that's gonna feel like.....
So stay tuned for more fun.......

cheers
Baz

· Premium Member
12,019 Posts
I have a 6MT as well. I'll be interested in what you hear from Raptor.
I got the following reply:

Hi Andrew
We could definitely port across the current tune for Manual, that is no problem
The current tune runs on 91, 95 and 98 perfectly.
The only reason we are looking to do a true 98 only tune is to use the inherent benefits of 98 to further increase power but ………. You will never be able to run less than 98.
For now, you get 50hp gain (measured at the wheels), difficult to say how much more the optimised 98 tune would be – maybe another 8 or so.
Over to you for comment

Best regards

Tim

Raptor Performance 0409 897 081

· Premium Member
12,019 Posts
The numbers on the DVVTI are insane - I've asked for the 98 dyno test and clarification if the map is the same on the manual and auto DVVTI engine.
Although I have no backing data there's a big step at 4000 RPM on mine where it goes from quite docile to a raging beast as the cams change... Maybe it's just more noticible in the manual because there's no TC slippage or trans chopdown...

Anyone else - do you see a change of character at 4K???

· Premium Member
11,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Reading this page Toyota Remapping | Raptor Superchargers it looks like the single VVTI is supported (same as HiLux and Prado 120), but the gains are less impressive.
Here is the map, for the Prado 120, with 5 speed transmission....A750 ....single VVTI.
Respectable gain in power.....
I'll check with Raptor tomorrow if this would be suitable for 07-09's.

Cheers
Baz:blueblob:

Edit: bare in mind, the Prado 120 is heavier than an FJ and constant AWD....even in the auto transmission...
So Dyno numbers could well be higher on a J, than what the chart shows for a 120

Attachments

· Premium Member
11,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I wonder if this will cause me to fail the California smog and inspection. CARB sucks
G'Day LB,
I was talking to Raptor today about US models .... both 07-09 and plus 10 tunes......
They are of the opinion this won't affect CARB ..... they can't g'tee it.... without it being tested....
But.... using the powergate, it takes 90 seconds to switch back to the OE tune spec.... as you keep your original OE tune stored...
and can switch between tunes ...at will.....

So ..wink wink, CARB time.... back to stock ..... easy peasy.....

Cheers
Baz

· Premium Member
11,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
G'Day,

UPDATES

07-09 .....

Talking to Raptor today...... they are of the opinion that the Prado 120 tune is a prefect match for the 07-09 FJ
While this doesn't present the same power gain of the DVVTI ...it does provide a decent gain of about 24 bhp and 40 Nm.
If you look at the 120 dyno tune .... the extra torque n grunt down low is enough to make this a very viable tune ......
If you want/need an extra 40Nm ....

CARBs .....
As stated above ...should not be an issue ... or play it safe and switch back to the OE tune for testing.....

Powergate 3
PG3 is sold worldwide by many sellers.... but they all have to lock the PG3 to their own software ..as dictated to by Alientech ..... before on selling to the end user. So unfortunately you cannot source a PG3 from another vendor and plug in the Raptor tune data...it won't work...

Lastly, just as an aside... Raptor have hundreds of hours development in this for the 1GR platform ....

Cheers
Baz

· Premium Member
478 Posts
I noticed that the Dyno tests for the 91 and 95 octane tunes on the Raptor website are compared to the same (exactly the same) baseline data, presumably stock tune running 91 octane fuel. I would also assume that the 95 octane tune was run with 95 octane fuel, so the comparison given is probably not fair. Anyway, looking at these the 91 octane tune looks to be pretty beneficial in the range I usually operate (< 3500 rpm). Comments?

Attachments

· Premium Member
11,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I noticed that the Dyno tests for the 91 and 95 octane tunes on the Raptor website are compared to the same (exactly the same) baseline data, presumably stock tune running 91 octane fuel. I would also assume that the 95 octane tune was run with 95 octane fuel, so the comparison given is probably not fair. Anyway, looking at these the 91 octane tune looks to be pretty beneficial in the range I usually operate (< 3500 rpm). Comments?
G'Day Mate,
I cut n pasted your post and emailed to Tim @ Raptor... he is his reply..... I'd suggest if you need more clarification to email Tim directly .....

The 91 torque line is overly fat at the start and I believe for the first few hundred rpm of the run it is erroneous

If he runs 91 the gain is just a bit less than 95, regard the 95 torque as being typical - no giant bulge at the start

Hope that helps

Regards

Tim

· Premium Member
11,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
One Week Report
G'Day,
After a week of driving Bozo in a Stage 4 Tuned state, here are few observations.
1. Normal suburban driving.
you won't notice any power improvement if you stay under 2000 rpm in any gear in suburbia.
you will notice the changed shift points in the tranny, and it will feel smoother, but it still feels like a standard FJ.
Pottering around at 50-60kph, Bozo is still docile and calm.

If you need to get to 50-60 kpm in a hurry, and boot it into the plus 2000 rpm range the power and acceleration is obvious as the 1GR opens up smoothly and quickly.... and fast....

2. Highway cycle
I took Bozo up the Lapstone hill today, gateway to the Blue Mountains...
On the M4 freeway at 80kph, in road work zones...ho hum, popped on Cruise and he happily sat at 80...

Before the tune ..he just didnt like 5th/80kph/cruise...wasn't smooth or happy doing 1350rpm at 80.... but now still doing 1350/80 he felt happy and content to tootle along, no hunting for gears, no up n down ..no lag or moaning. I put this down to the ECU transmission tweaks more than engine power...but I could be wrong.... point is he was happy to sit at 80...no fuss.
Out of the 80 into 110kph zone, I simply accelerated quickly and he took of like a rocket... enter the 2000 plus rpm and he gets a real giddy up... He did drop into 4th but it was smooth and effortless..no lag - the wakey wakey syndrome has gone... and held 4th till well after 100kph, then quietly slipped in to 5th... doing 110 kph at about 1950 rpm.... at 100kph he sits on 1750 rpm in 5th.

The power and new smooth shifts really change the 1GR/A750 ...

Going up the Lapstone Hill.... I was able to stay at the speed limit without increasing throttle, till he dropped down to 4th and held 4th all the way to the top...and I could have accelerated after the 55kph bend.... but was still doing 70....
temps increased a little bit, but nothing like they used too, labouring up the hill.... very pleased with the pulling power under load.... how it should have been tuned by Yoda....not for emmissions and economy !!!! Bad Yoda !!

for the past 6-7 years I have driven in 4th until 80 kph plus, to avoid the lag and hunting / sleepy / wake up gear changes...
For the last week, I have left it in 5th ( mostly) ... and the change is impressive.... this also reduced trans temps and water temps

Off road and 4wd, I am still yet to test, but the low end torque and power should really change the fun....

Cheers
Baz

· Premium Member
11,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I went to the Raptor site and shot them an email. I'm trying to get my head around this so heres my summary. With their PowerGate remapping my computer, running 91 Octane, my rig is a 2010 with DVVTI, I will see a gain of 45HP at the back wheels and a big torque jump around 2250 RPM? Thats getting close to the advertised numbers for a TRD supercharged pre 2010 FJ Cruiser. Is that correct?
G'day,
The HP gain is at the fly wheel not rear wheels, as I understand it, so slightly less at the wheel ...I'd imagine.... but still a nice increase. What's more relevant the torque gain from 2000-3000 rpm.
Unless you are going to floor it, and rev out to 5500 rpm..... the extra horses are irrelevant ... sort of....
but useable power and torque @ 2-4 K rpm.... is very impressive... and really gets the brick in giddy up mode.

Just as important ( or more important ) are the revised shift patterns in the A750.... these are the key to bringing the 1GR alive.... the new shift patterns truly make for a totally different drive..... holding the gears longer and smoother shifts. The hunting n lazy lumber at 50mph has disappeared... and so has the wakey wakey.. lag.
This tune has created a Clark Kent / Superman effect.... totally relaxed n calm under 2000 rpm .... docile ..etc.... kick it harder and over 2000 rpm the J rips off his shirt and flies along ...faster than a speeding bullet ... ( well almost).... hahahaha

The numbers are close to s/c ... and for 800-900 bucks ... real bang for your buck....

Cheers
Baz

edit: checked with Raptor..... hp gain is measured at the rear wheels.....making the improvement even better..

· Vendor
9,694 Posts
The HP gain is at the fly wheel not rear wheels, as I understand it, so slightly less at the wheel ...I'd imagine.... but still a nice increase.
This is all measured by a dyno at the wheels though right? FJC has 180 HP at the wheels factory, tuned it makes 211 at the wheels, 45 gained at 2300 rpm. :cheers:

· Vendor
9,694 Posts
I went to the Raptor site and shot them an email. I'm trying to get my head around this so heres my summary. With their PowerGate remapping my computer, running 91 Octane, my rig is a 2010 with DVVTI, I will see a gain of 45HP at the back wheels and a big torque jump around 2250 RPM? Thats getting close to the advertised numbers for a TRD supercharged pre 2010 FJ Cruiser. Is that correct?
Also don't forget their 91 octane equals US's 87 octane. If you want to run US 91, you'll want to do their 95 octane tune which makes 50 hp increase at peak.

· Registered
311 Posts
Tim emailed me back and confirmed everything. For my 2010 I'd be getting at least +45HP at the rear wheels which means +55HP at the crank for a grand total of 315HP. That completely alleviates my fear of going to bigger tires. I had been building up for that with the lift but the cost of re-gearing was holding me back.

Benefits:
1. No additional moving parts
2. Can still run 87 Octane
3. Can be flashed back to stock
4. Bigger tires without a gear change

· Premium Member
5,096 Posts
It will be interesting to learn how this magic works.

An engine is essentially an air pump, the amount of power it can produce is physically related to the amount of air it can put through it. Other than making a bigger engine, increasing compression ratio and/or bigger valves, the typical way to get more power from the same engine is by adding supercharging (which has no lag), or turbocharging (which could have lag) or nitrous (which needs to be refilled as it is used). All of those mechanical changes produce more power because more air (oxygen) is able to be put through the engine. The fuel is increased accordingly and = more power.

According to the descriptions given so far, there is no mechanical change to the engine, merely an ECU reflash, which can change timing, fuel and valve operation, but typically the only benefit from ECU changes is going to be in the margins: making use of something the OEM left on the table. Since OEMs are under great pressure to optimize all of the variables the typical result is a trade-off, like shortened longevity, or what have you.

Since this ECU change includes shift point changes in the AT, perhaps the big feeling of increased power is from adjusted shift points and throttle position sensor. Or, perhaps some could come from allowing greatly increased emissions output, which would be no concern down under, but could require a flash/reflash for locations requiring periodic emissions checks.

Until a disinterested 3rd party provides some before/after hp & torque figures at the back wheels, it will be hard to believe that Toyota left 40 or 50 hp lying around which a changed ECU easily provided.

Norm

· Registered
61 Posts
It will be interesting to learn how this magic works.

An engine is essentially an air pump, the amount of power it can produce is physically related to the amount of air it can put through it. Other than making a bigger engine, increasing compression ratio and/or bigger valves, the typical way to get more power from the same engine is by adding supercharging (which has no lag), or turbocharging (which could have lag) or nitrous (which needs to be refilled as it is used). All of those mechanical changes produce more power because more air (oxygen) is able to be put through the engine. The fuel is increased accordingly and = more power.

According to the descriptions given so far, there is no mechanical change to the engine, merely an ECU reflash, which can change timing, fuel and valve operation, but typically the only benefit from ECU changes is going to be in the margins: making use of something the OEM left on the table. Since OEMs are under great pressure to optimize all of the variables the typical result is a trade-off, like shortened longevity, or what have you.

Since this ECU change includes shift point changes in the AT, perhaps the big feeling of increased power is from adjusted shift points and throttle position sensor. Or, perhaps some could come from allowing greatly increased emissions output, which would be no concern down under, but could require a flash/reflash for locations requiring periodic emissions checks.

Until a disinterested 3rd party provides some before/after hp & torque figures at the back wheels, it will be hard to believe that Toyota left 40 or 50 hp lying around which a changed ECU easily provided.

Norm
This ^ I brought up these points last week with Tim and here was his less than confidence inspiring response:

"I think it’s best if you try and get in contact with those who have the tune - they are long time FJ owners - you can find one here in a public forum

https://fjcc.com.au/forum_fjcc/index.php?topic=11135.0

I understand the though about the gains, we also haven’t seen this kind of gain before, we only get 18hp from early 1GR and tuning a stock LS probably doesn’t get 50hp either. We have had the vehicle back twice to confirm and double check - we are 100% certain everything is correct. We won’t be releasing any additional how it’s done info but I do have the AFR chart if you would like to se that

Those who currently have the tune have found it exceeded their expectations by a very long way"

Color me still VERY skeptical. So far all I've seen is super basic and easily faked dyno and AFR Charts and anecdotal evidence/ subjective feedback from like 2 owners who have run the tune for a week or less. ZERO detail on how they actually achieve these gains. I need 3rd part dyno numbers and input from an engineer before dropping $800 on a tune that could grenade my CAT's after a few thousand miles. Admittedly, just the AT shift mapping retune is pretty appealing.

I don't see how it's possible to get near forced induction level gains. For comparison, Vivid racing's tune gets you these gains:

Crank Horsepower Ratings:

Stock Power: 259HP | 270ft/lbs
Tuned Power: 275HP | 283ft/lbs

Way more believable and I would imagine more reliable on the motor and exhaust system long term. BTW, I'd LOVE to be proven wrong here.

· Premium Member
12,019 Posts
One thing I'll say is that consumer law in Australia is a serious thing. False claims are not to be made lightly. If they claim x increase, then they'll have to be able to back it up, so I'm prepared to give them my money, knowing that if the claims fall flat I'll surely get my money back.

1 - 20 of 116 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.