Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 632 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
G'Day,
As stated in the general thread...what did I do To my FJ....

fitted a Raptor Engine and Transmission ECU flash to Bozo yesterday.

Coupla extra bits of info to try to centralise info.

1. This ECU flash has been developed DU by Raptor, for the Dual VVTI 1GR engine, for the plus 2010 models.

2. No affiliation with Raptor, just a happy customer.

3. 4 tunes available.
stage 1 - stock FJ running 91 RON gas
stage 2 - modified FJ running 91 RON gas - mods to airbox and exhaust
stage 3 - stock FJ running 95 RON gas
stage 4 - modified FJ running 95 RON gas - mods to airbox and exhaust

DU, we have 3 levels of fuel
standard ULP = 91 ron
Super ULP = 95 ron
Premium ULP = 98 ron
Not sure what or how that relates to US gas.... ( we also have ethanol blends etc)

4. Measurements are in kw HP, not BHP.

5. Test and development FJ was a 2011 bone stock AT.

6. 1 method are offered by Raptor to obtain the flash....
buy the Powergate 3, pull your stock DAT file off the ECU, send it to them via email, they will modify the file and send it back to you with flash... upload this to your ECU ...done .... you have the ability to switch back to stock at your will as you have two DAT files, stock and modified.

7. The modified DAT is locked to your vehicle, as is the Powergate, so you cannot share it across other FJ's.

I'm not a dyno expert, and have no real knowledge how it all works .... but my butt o meter, tells me it works.
so if you have technical questions about AFR, roller size, type of Dyno used, etc..... you would be best emailing Raptor directly and speaking with Tim.

Email: [email protected]

Raptor Superchargers Australia

For those into Fakebook there is a large thingy page all about the 1GR called Toyota 1GRFE Club
Alot of info in there, apparently.

In the real world, after just one test drive, this flash ...absolutely rocks ... the power and performance increase and smooth gear shifts changes the FJ from a puddy tat into a Tiger.....
what I like is that this flash changes the transmission ECU parameters too.... so its matched to the engine enhancement.... the A750 is no longer lazy .... it really makes a huge difference to the A750......

Here is the dyno result from the Stage 3 flash, stock FJ and 95 ron.....

Cheers
Baz
:blueblob:

4th October 2019 UPDATE
Since writing this thread in early April.
Raptor have simplified the available tunes.
Currently they offer
1. All Fuel Tune
2. Highest Octane - Racer performance tune - called the 98 Tune

Airbox mods are recommended with both tunes, but testing has shown exhaust mods do not seem to indicate any performance increase.

Cheers
Baz

Attachments

·
Premium Member
10,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They need to do a tune for s/c FJ's too. I think the TRD tune could be made a lot better, especially in regards to shift points.
G'Day Cliffy,
I think they do ...do a tune for the s/c, but possibly only the Raptor s/c ...
It would be worth emailing Raptor .... but as the TRD s/c is only 07-09 ... it might not be relevant....
cheers
Baz

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
G'Day Cliffy,
It would be worth emailing Raptor .... but as the TRD s/c is only 07-09 ... it might not be relevant....
cheers
Baz
I emailed last night. Tim sent me a reply. He said they could tune a Magnuson but he has none available to work with. Dang...

·
Premium Member
10,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I emailed last night. Tim sent me a reply. He said they could tune a Magnuson but he has none available to work with. Dang...
Gday Cliffy,
Yeah, that's the challenge.... Sourcing a donor to get the tune sorted...
You need to bring your J DU....do a lap around the island....and stop in with Raptor ....huh...
:rofl:
Cheers
Baz

·
Premium Member
2,480 Posts
G'Day Cliffy,
cheers
Baz
Cost?

Edit: Looks like about $1,300AUS ($925USD) for the Powergate module, not including shipping to US. Not too bad for 30-35hp gain.

·
Premium Member
7,245 Posts
3. 4 tunes available.

standard ULP = 91 ron
Super ULP = 95 ron
Premium ULP = 98 ron
Not sure what or how that relates to US gas.... ( we also have ethanol blends etc)
FWIW. 91-93 is usually the highest I've seen here. US = (R+M)/2

91 RON = US 87
95 RON = US 91
98 RON = US 94

·
Premium Member
2,480 Posts
G'Day,
As stated in the general thread...what did I do To my FJ....

fitted a Raptor Engine and Transmission ECU flash to Bozo yesterday.

Coupla extra bits of info to try to centralise info.

1. This ECU flash has been developed DU by Raptor, for the Dual VVTI 1GR engine, for the plus 2010 models.

2. No affiliation with Raptor, just a happy customer.

3. 4 tunes available.

standard ULP = 91 ron
Super ULP = 95 ron
Premium ULP = 98 ron

Cheers
Baz
Looks like AUS octane ratings are about 4 points higher than US, so 91 AUS = about 87 US, etc.

·
Desert Moderator
5,671 Posts
Hmm... I'm wondering if they've done one for a 6MT on 98RON...
That's all I give mine to drink...

·
Desert Moderator
5,671 Posts
I've emailed about my '14 6MT & 98 RON.

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
Gday Cliffy,
Yeah, that's the challenge.... Sourcing a donor to get the tune sorted...
You need to bring your J DU....do a lap around the island....and stop in with Raptor ....huh...
:rofl:
Cheers
Baz
Man, I would love that... I think I could even get the wife on board with this crazy idea.

·
Premium Member
10,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
G'Day,
The Flash tune should be good for all octanes of gas, from 87 upwards...being comparable ratio's to our octane numbers...but no real hands on way to check, all depends what you got in your gas I guess...

MT version ?..... good question...but as DU we only ever got the AT ... there is no dyno test using a Manuel ...Carte Door ?...( Faulty Towers )

From what I can gather the Alientech powergate in the US/UK ... is based on a MT ... for the 07-09 model .... but this isn't conclusive... you would need to talk to Alientech about this.....

Went for a tootle down the road this morning, and behaved myself until the engine n transmission were up to full temperature... and Bozo drove normally .... no noticeable change at suburban speeds under 2000 rpm......
then ....... decided it was only appropriate I kick it, the response +2000 rpm .... awesome.... it really comes alive +2, in all gears.... the power curve / band is smooth and fast .... shifts like silk .... it really is a different beasty +2,
I still haven't had him out on the open road / highway ..... at 60 mph plus .... but can only imagine what that's gonna feel like.....
So stay tuned for more fun.......

cheers
Baz

1 - 20 of 632 Posts