Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

301 - 320 of 1090 Posts

·
Desert Moderator
6,732 Posts
OK - So I loaded it up.
My tune is optimised for 98 RON, which is what I normally run.
I didn't take it far on the first run, but here's my first impressions.

1) Seems more responsive in low revs - driving slowly around the neighbourhood.
2) The transition thru 4000 RPM is smoother - less frantic. I think this is due to more power/torque below 4K.
3) Seems to have more power between 2 & 4K RPM
4) Rev limiter is set higher (6250 RPM at a glance). pulls smoothly all the way to the limiter. In gear acceleration is less effort.

All improvements are incremental - this is not a supercharger, just a refinement on the stock tune. I can't comment on fuel economy, because I gave it a bit of a flogging tonight & that run averaged out at 26L/100km (9MPG). On a run to work I'll usually average 13L/100km (18 MPG). My long term average is 15.2L/100 (15.5MPG) but I'm certainly no hyper miler...
Let's see how it goes over the next week or so.

·
Forum Beer Miester
4,035 Posts
Great to hear there’s clear differences even with the MT, was wondering how much the transmission tweaks factored in so now we’re getting an idea. Very cool keep us updated.

·
Desert Moderator
6,732 Posts
Great to hear there’s clear differences even with the MT, was wondering how much the transmission tweaks factored in so now we’re getting an idea. Very cool keep us updated.
I'll get more of a feel for it over the next few days. Then maybe I'll downgrade it to see how that feels.

·
トヨタ Master
7,995 Posts
Any plans to release for the '06-'09 models?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'll get more of a feel for it over the next few days. Then maybe I'll downgrade it to see how that feels.
Hi Amaclach,
Are you in UAE? I got mine in Abu Dhabi but didn't get the chance to do sand off roading due to work.
Thanks,
Mohammad

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

·
Desert Moderator
6,732 Posts
Hi Amaclach,
Are you in UAE? I got mine in Abu Dhabi but didn't get the chance to do sand off roading due to work.
Thanks,
Mohammad

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
Hi, yes I am, but I've not really been offroad since I've done the upgrade.
I'm overall happy with the tune. Might need a small tweak once Tim gets back from his break.

·
Premium Member
3,238 Posts
Ok, so what's been happening? :smile

·
Premium Member
11,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #312
G'Day,
Took Bozo out back this weekend towing the new pop top caravan ( weight approx 3000 lbs. )
To get out back, you go over the Blue Mountains behind Sydney ( they are really just some big hills ) to a max of about 5000ft and down onto the western table lands....
The tune made all the difference to tugging a medium weight van over the hills... under full load ... old Bozo just kept pulling with ease
the new shift points and torque really do match the weight and performance of the FJ.
I was a little surprised how well it held gear and speed without the usual (old) bog down effect.... to the point that it was holding 5th gear going up small inclines at the same rate of speed ...without the need to kick down. On longer n steeper inclines it did kick down (4th) and on one extreme climb I pulled it back the third and actually started to accelerate up the hill - with hardly any temp increase.....
On the way out I pretty much kept it in 4th and rpm at about 2200.... but on the way back left it in 5th the majority of the time and let it work its magic. Temps stayed much cooler this way....

I'm monitoring fuel consumption for the first time in years, and when I get some numbers, I'll post em up....but with 40 gallons on board - takes a while to need a refill.....

Cheers
Baz
:blueblob:

·
Desert Moderator
6,732 Posts
I have the "hot" 98RON optimised tune, and I have to say that I like it. It took a few days for the ECU to adjust the timing to eliminate knock, but once that was done, all good.
No adverse effects, fuel economy about the same driving normally. When I get on it, I can see that it's thirst increases inline with the performance increase, which is fine.
Because I have a manual trans, I can say without any doubt that the improvement is not just a transmission remap.

·
トヨタ Master
7,995 Posts
I have the "hot" 98RON optimised tune, and I have to say that I like it. It took a few days for the ECU to adjust the timing to eliminate knock, but once that was done, all good.
No adverse effects, fuel economy about the same driving normally. When I get on it, I can see that it's thirst increases inline with the performance increase, which is fine.
Because I have a manual trans, I can say without any doubt that the improvement is not just a transmission remap.
How exactly would you remap a manual? :huh: Hit your head on a cast iron frying pan a few times? >:D

·
Mean Time Moderator
5,582 Posts
I've had mine for about 10 days now but only made two trips. The first was a good distance but proved to be sitting in slow traffic for the most part so apart from the very noticeable gear shift changes there was little to report.

Even on clear roads it is very rare for me to 'Poke the Fire Breathing Dragon' within so I wasn't really expecting to see the power benefits. My run this weekend was a familiar route, cross country on our slow, twisting single lane, badly surfaced, road system. Here the additional mid range torque is noticeable and the shift is nice, I used to always drive these roads in 4 but now D is very acceptable.

·
Desert Moderator
6,732 Posts
How exactly would you remap a manual? :huh: Hit your head on a cast iron frying pan few times? >:D
smart ass :x
What I'm saying is that the improvement to the engine is significant - It may not be obvious to those with auto trans if gains come from the trans remap, the engine, or both.

·
トヨタ Master
7,995 Posts
smart ass :x
What I'm saying is that the improvement to the engine is significant - It may not be obvious to those with auto trans if gains come from the trans remap, the engine, or both.
I remember @TrueGritCruzr tried one of those pedal commander things on his manual last year at Summit. He tried it the 1st day and returned it the second. I can't remember but I think he said that program messed with the throttle response too much and made things jerky or something. This might be a better option for him.

Reactions: amaclach

·
Premium Member
1,192 Posts
I remember @TrueGritCruzr tried one of those pedal commander things on his manual last year at Summit. He tried it the 1st day and returned it the second. I can't remember but I think he said that program messed with the throttle response too much and made things jerky or something. This might be a better option for him.

It was worse than that. It through a code and went into limp home mode right as I was heading out with a group to do Imogene. Can’t remember the exact code but it had something to do with some instruction out of range or something like that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

301 - 320 of 1090 Posts