Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 40 of 1071 Posts

·
Desert Moderator
6,664 Posts
I have a 6MT as well. I'll be interested in what you hear from Raptor.
I got the following reply:

Hi Andrew
We could definitely port across the current tune for Manual, that is no problem
The current tune runs on 91, 95 and 98 perfectly.
The only reason we are looking to do a true 98 only tune is to use the inherent benefits of 98 to further increase power but ………. You will never be able to run less than 98.
For now, you get 50hp gain (measured at the wheels), difficult to say how much more the optimised 98 tune would be – maybe another 8 or so.
Over to you for comment

Best regards

Tim

Raptor Performance 0409 897 081

·
Desert Moderator
6,664 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I got the following reply:

Hi Andrew
We could definitely port across the current tune for Manual, that is no problem
The current tune runs on 91, 95 and 98 perfectly.
The only reason we are looking to do a true 98 only tune is to use the inherent benefits of 98 to further increase power but ………. You will never be able to run less than 98.
For now, you get 50hp gain (measured at the wheels), difficult to say how much more the optimised 98 tune would be – maybe another 8 or so.
Over to you for comment

Best regards

Tim

Raptor Performance 0409 897 081
Gday Andrew,
That's great news.....
Cool.
Cheers
Baz
:blueblob:

·
Premium Member
11,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Reading this page Toyota Remapping | Raptor Superchargers it looks like the single VVTI is supported (same as HiLux and Prado 120), but the gains are less impressive.
Hmm, interesting ....
Worth investigating....
My concern is which transmission they used ....I know some 120's, had the A340 tranny, not the A750
Not sure what the Hilux uses....
But I'll find out...
Cheers
Baz

·
Desert Moderator
6,664 Posts
Hmm, interesting ....
Worth investigating....
My concern is which transmission they used ....I know some 120's, had the A340 tranny, not the A750
Not sure what the Hilux uses....
But I'll find out...
Cheers
Baz
Good point - Prado 120 would be a closer match though despite different transfer case.

·
Premium Member
11,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Good point - Prado 120 would be a closer match though despite different transfer case.
Yup, I wonder if and when later years of the 120 got the A750....
Or was it only used in the 150...
If Raptor used a later 120 to develop the tune, it could be a good match for the 07-09 brigade...
Albeit with less gain....
Cheers
Baz

·
Desert Moderator
6,664 Posts
The numbers on the DVVTI are insane - I've asked for the 98 dyno test and clarification if the map is the same on the manual and auto DVVTI engine.
Although I have no backing data there's a big step at 4000 RPM on mine where it goes from quite docile to a raging beast as the cams change... Maybe it's just more noticible in the manual because there's no TC slippage or trans chopdown...

Anyone else - do you see a change of character at 4K???

·
Premium Member
11,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Reading this page Toyota Remapping | Raptor Superchargers it looks like the single VVTI is supported (same as HiLux and Prado 120), but the gains are less impressive.
Here is the map, for the Prado 120, with 5 speed transmission....A750 ....single VVTI.
Respectable gain in power.....
I'll check with Raptor tomorrow if this would be suitable for 07-09's.

Cheers
Baz:blueblob:

Edit: bare in mind, the Prado 120 is heavier than an FJ and constant AWD....even in the auto transmission...
So Dyno numbers could well be higher on a J, than what the chart shows for a 120

Attachments

·
Premium Member
11,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
The numbers on the DVVTI are insane - I've asked for the 98 dyno test and clarification if the map is the same on the manual and auto DVVTI engine.
Although I have no backing data there's a big step at 4000 RPM on mine where it goes from quite docile to a raging beast as the cams change... Maybe it's just more noticible in the manual because there's no TC slippage or trans chopdown...

G'Day Andrew,
Could be a while until a 98 Dyno and tune is available.
Getting a donor FJ up in Cairns to test n run.....is proving a challenge for Raptor.
Cheers
Baz

·
Desert Moderator
6,664 Posts
G'Day Andrew,
Could be a while until a 98 Dyno and tune is available.
Getting a donor FJ up in Cairns to test n run.....is proving a challenge for Raptor.
Cheers
Baz
Hmm... Maybe I can be a remote guinea pig...
I'll pay for the hardware, I'll help then develop the map & dyno runs. I'm sure there's a few places here with dynos...

Holy mackerel... Check out the naturally aspirated 8 cylinder class. They have to be on Nitrous...

https://youtu.be/coYA3ZX7LrM?t=394

The Hilux class looks fun

·
Premium Member
2,531 Posts

When off-roading at the Oregon dunes, I stay in 1st/2nd gear and keep the rpms up. I definitely noticed a change at higher rpms, but not sure if it was at 4k...as I was usually looking at the next hill climb and not the tach.

·
Premium Member
11,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I wonder if this will cause me to fail the California smog and inspection. CARB sucks
G'Day LB,
I was talking to Raptor today about US models .... both 07-09 and plus 10 tunes......
They are of the opinion this won't affect CARB ..... they can't g'tee it.... without it being tested....
But.... using the powergate, it takes 90 seconds to switch back to the OE tune spec.... as you keep your original OE tune stored...
and can switch between tunes ...at will.....

So ..wink wink, CARB time.... back to stock ..... easy peasy.....

Cheers
Baz

·
Premium Member
11,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
G'Day,

UPDATES

07-09 .....

Talking to Raptor today...... they are of the opinion that the Prado 120 tune is a prefect match for the 07-09 FJ
While this doesn't present the same power gain of the DVVTI ...it does provide a decent gain of about 24 bhp and 40 Nm.
If you look at the 120 dyno tune .... the extra torque n grunt down low is enough to make this a very viable tune ......
If you want/need an extra 40Nm ....

CARBs .....
As stated above ...should not be an issue ... or play it safe and switch back to the OE tune for testing.....

Powergate 3
PG3 is sold worldwide by many sellers.... but they all have to lock the PG3 to their own software ..as dictated to by Alientech ..... before on selling to the end user. So unfortunately you cannot source a PG3 from another vendor and plug in the Raptor tune data...it won't work...

Lastly, just as an aside... Raptor have hundreds of hours development in this for the 1GR platform ....

Cheers
Baz

·
Desert Moderator
6,664 Posts
G'Day,

UPDATES

07-09 .....

Talking to Raptor today...... they are of the opinion that the Prado 120 tune is a prefect match for the 07-09 FJ
While this doesn't present the same power gain of the DVVTI ...it does provide a decent gain of about 24 bhp and 40 Nm.
If you look at the 120 dyno tune .... the extra torque n grunt down low is enough to make this a very viable tune ......

CARBs .....
As stated above ...should not be an issue ... or play it safe and switch back to the OE tune for testing.....

Powergate 3
PG3 is sold worldwide by many sellers.... but they all have to lock the PG3 to their own software ..as dictated to by Alientech ..... before on selling to the end user. So unfortunately you cannot source a PG3 from another vendor and plug in the Raptor tune data...it won't work...

Lastly, just as an aside... Raptor have hundreds of hours development in this for the 1GR platform ....

Cheers
Baz
I made a suggestion that if they sold me the hardware I could pull my stock map and share it with them so they could check it's what they expect and then send the updated map to me (which I'll also pay for).
That way they can be sure that the MT tune doesn't hold any surprises rather than just porting an AT tune.

·
Premium Member
456 Posts
I noticed that the Dyno tests for the 91 and 95 octane tunes on the Raptor website are compared to the same (exactly the same) baseline data, presumably stock tune running 91 octane fuel. I would also assume that the 95 octane tune was run with 95 octane fuel, so the comparison given is probably not fair. Anyway, looking at these the 91 octane tune looks to be pretty beneficial in the range I usually operate (< 3500 rpm). Comments?

Attachments

Reactions: amaclach

·
Premium Member
7,887 Posts
G'Day,

UPDATES

07-09 .....

Thanks for checking B. Does this tune also help the A750 trans like the tune you have? I imagine it does. That would be a huge deciding factor also. If you don't know offhand don't worry, one of us could ask them.

·
Premium Member
11,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
I noticed that the Dyno tests for the 91 and 95 octane tunes on the Raptor website are compared to the same (exactly the same) baseline data, presumably stock tune running 91 octane fuel. I would also assume that the 95 octane tune was run with 95 octane fuel, so the comparison given is probably not fair. Anyway, looking at these the 91 octane tune looks to be pretty beneficial in the range I usually operate (< 3500 rpm). Comments?
G'Day Mate,
Good question.... I don't know.... but its worth asking of Raptor.
I'll let you know
Cheers
Baz

·
Premium Member
11,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Thanks for checking B. Does this tune also help the A750 trans like the tune you have? I imagine it does. That would be a huge deciding factor also. If you don't know offhand don't worry, one of us could ask them.
G'Day Devon,
I imagine it does too, but have already asked the Q...
Will let you know shortly...

Cheers
Baz

·
Premium Member
11,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
G'Day D,
Yes, the 120 tune includes the A750 remapping / shift points ...etc....
Cheers
Baz

21 - 40 of 1071 Posts