Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

401 - 420 of 1088 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,229 Posts
It’s been awesome - I loved having the extra power in Moab, walking up obstacles I’ve struggled with in the past, and comfortably pulling the extra loaded weight over long mountain passes on I 70 in the Rockies without excessive shifting....these are two examples from my trip west this summer. At/above 2500rpm the power is wonderful, though at first I almost overdid it a few times, not realizing the oooomph I was releasing :rofl: Frontend went airborn with more low end torque than I was accustomed to, so I’m relearning the finer points of throttle control in situations like in the below pics, climbing ledges/walls from a (near) standstill, and scaling Hells Gate (felt so easy this time :wink). For me rockcrawling was the primary reason for getting the Raptor tune and I’m thrilled :blueblob: Additional pep around town, passing/agile maneuvering in heavy traffic and way better, smoother shift points are icing on the cake :grin :rocker:
Picture #1 would make a great MB4S - 2019 patch although this thread is full of good pics... >:D (Printed patch to display full detail)

What grade of gas you running?

Has anyone reported on a stock 2010+ auto running 87?

Thanks,
Lee

·
MOAB SUPERSTAR
6,154 Posts
Picture #1 would make a great MB4S - 2019 patch although this thread is full of good pics... >:D (Printed patch to display full detail)

What grade of gas you running?

Has anyone reported on a stock 2010+ auto running 87?

Thanks,
Lee
Thanks Lee that’s a great patch idea! For gas in Moab I could not find my usual ethanol free 91 or Premium 93 so it was regular 91 while out west.

·
Premium Member
3,229 Posts
Thanks Lee that’s a great patch idea! For gas in Moab I could not find my usual ethanol free 91 or Premium 93 so it was regular 91 while out west.
:grin My mistake, I said pics in this thread, meant pics in MB4S-2019 photo thread..

I run regular 87 in Jade, no aftermarket or TRD cold air intake. I understand the Flash restores power lost from the cold air stuff. I'm really intrigued by the trans changes..

Reactions: debFJVT

·
Forum Beer Miester
4,033 Posts
There were two other great great photos I could’ve taken after that one when you gunned it but that’s when the phone flashed low power and it was over before I could clear it from the screen.

·
MOAB SUPERSTAR
6,154 Posts
There were two other great great photos I could’ve taken after that one when you gunned it but that’s when the phone flashed low power and it was over before I could clear it from the screen.
That moment will live forever in my minds eye :wink

·
Desert Moderator
6,721 Posts
OK folks, just had my annual vehicle test. I left the hot 98 tune on, and you can see the emission test result below. 0% CO & 5 PPM Hydrocarbon. I dunno what readings are with the stock tune, but this is pretty good.

Update - I also have to test the urban assault vehicle which has the SVVTI 1GRFE and is bone stock. I'll report the emissions values for that back here for comparison.

Update 2: The SVVTI got 0% CO & 4 PPM HC. Both cars have the same mileage (130000 km) the SVVTi is 2012 and the FJ is 2014.

·
トヨタ Master
7,976 Posts
Thank God I don't live in a place where I have to get a piece of paper that says "carbon footprint" on it. :deal::no:

Reactions: Datajockeys

·
Desert Moderator
6,721 Posts
Thank God I don't live in a place where I have to get a piece of paper that says "carbon footprint" on it. :deal::no:
Kind of ironic though... The carbon footprint crap is just informational anyway... That way they can say they're being green.
Meanwhile... come buy our oil!

·
トヨタ Master
7,976 Posts
Kind of ironic though... The carbon footprint crap is just informational anyway... That way they can say they're being green.
Meanwhile... come buy our oil!
:lol: My family owns oil wells in OK, KS, and TX. My dad and oldest brother were/are petroleum engineers. Don't think we'll be getting off oil any time soon. :bandit:

·
Premium Member
11,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #413
G'Day,
Towing Update...
Took the pop top caravan away on the weekend, up the coast ...to the beach..
The tune and new shift points really make towing a 3000lb van easy.....
what i noticed most is how cool the transmission stayed....even up long steep hills while still close to the speed limit.
Just leaving the AT in 5th, and let it do its thing....pulled up the hills...without any hesitation or lag...didnt bog down at all.....
Pan and TC both stayed in the 150-170 F range.....very pleasing....
Well worth the investment, loading a Raptor Tune.

Cheers
Baz
:blueblob:

·
Desert Moderator
6,721 Posts
Traffic lights yesterday - I could see the guy next to me in the Y62 v8 patrol was itching to get on it, so went for a quick launch - no clutch dump - just a robust launch. I was well ahead at the end of 1st gear, and he was miles back by time I let up in 2nd...
He was going for gold - that thing was squatting hard under power.
This tune rocks - the Y62 isn't slow.

·
Mean Time Moderator
5,578 Posts
Traffic lights yesterday - I could see the guy next to me in the Y62 v8 patrol was itching to get on it, so went for a quick launch - no clutch dump - just a robust launch. I was well ahead at the end of 1st gear, and he was miles back by time I let up in 2nd...
Lol.

I get BMW drivers (mostly) crawling up my rear when I’m in a 30 limit...then watch them disappear in my rear view when the limit changes whilst they wonder WTF...

·
Desert Moderator
6,721 Posts
Lol.

I get BMW drivers (mostly) crawling up my rear when I’m in a 30 limit...then watch them disappear in my rear view when the limit changes whilst they wonder WTF...
That's great sport, but equally terrifying is the instant fuel consumption reading when at WOT north of 5k RPM.
YOLO

·
Desert Moderator
6,721 Posts
I wouldn’t be frightened if I was paying your fuel prices...
True... Reminds me - I need to inform OPEC that it needs refuelling.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Awesome ?

401 - 420 of 1088 Posts