Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

421 - 440 of 630 Posts

·
Mean Time Moderator
5,100 Posts
Sent a bunch of stickers out today for those with the PowerGate. Should see them in a couple of weeks time
so what do they say.... 'eat my dust' or 'don't make me poke the fire breathing dragon' :grin

·
Registered
79 Posts
Can Raptor tune just the Trans? I’m not really interested in a performance tune, just looking for the trans to be sorted out!!!!

·
Premium Member
10,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #424
Can Raptor tune just the Trans? I’m not really interested in a performance tune, just looking for the trans to be sorted out!!!!
G'Day,
you would be best to email Raptor and ask.... I've not heard of a Trans tune only.....
Cheers
Baz
:blueblob:

·
Desert Moderator
5,652 Posts
hahaha, being an old bloke...49 is good enough...:rofl:

Cheers
Baz
Only as old as you feel!
Having said that - I had the first Rugby game of the season yesterday - Felt great during the game - a couple of hours later - not so much...

·
Premium Member
410 Posts
I'd be willing to buy a transmission only version as well. My only real complaint about the FJ is that it shifts like a dog. Would it interfere with my TRD supercharger re-flash or Unichip?

·
Mean Time Moderator
5,100 Posts
Dang, mine didn’t come with a sticker and I could use the extra 50 hp for real.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Stickers are ‘retrofit’ didn’t come with the tunes.

·
Premium Member
10,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #431
G'Day MP,
I've been talking to Raptor, on your behalf....they would like to know why you don't want the engine tune upgrade?
They haven't considered a Transmission tune only....and are cautious that it would not work...the package works in unison ...the concern is the engine won't handle the extra performance of the transmission
Pricing would not be any difference as its the same work and effort....

From the look of your avatar, you have an 07-09 SVVTI ....

Personally, if your FJ has a standard 1GR engine ...i can't see why you would not want the extra power and low/mid range torque....and the new shift points and trans tune..
Cheers
Baz

·
Premium Member
10,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #432
I'd be willing to buy a transmission only version as well. My only real complaint about the FJ is that it shifts like a dog. Would it interfere with my TRD supercharger re-flash or Unichip?
G'Day,
The challenge with having a TRD s/c....that never made it DU, Raptor have no hands on technical experience with the TRD s/c....
so tuning and matching the Raptor tune to the TRD s/c....is virgin territory....and not been done..
But it could be worth talking to them about it....for a long term improvement....

cheers
Baz

·
Premium Member
410 Posts
G'Day,
The challenge with having a TRD s/c....that never made it DU, Raptor have no hands on technical experience with the TRD s/c....
so tuning and matching the Raptor tune to the TRD s/c....is virgin territory....and not been done..
But it could be worth talking to them about it....for a long term improvement....
Yeah, I read through the entire thread so I realize they can't do a supercharger tune. But, from what it sounded like, they are taking existing ECU firmware and modifying it. My hope was (and it's definitely a longshot) that they could take my TRD flashed firmware and only apply the tranmission mods to it. That way I could retain the TRD engine changes but get the fancy transmission changes.

·
Registered
79 Posts
G'Day MP,
I've been talking to Raptor, on your behalf....they would like to know why you don't want the engine tune upgrade?
They haven't considered a Transmission tune only....and are cautious that it would not work...the package works in unison ...the concern is the engine won't handle the extra performance of the transmission
Pricing would not be any difference as its the same work and effort....

From the look of your avatar, you have an 07-09 SVVTI ....

Personally, if your FJ has a standard 1GR engine ...i can't see why you would not want the extra power and low/mid range torque....and the new shift points and trans tune..
Cheers

I’ve modded every vehicle I’ve owned, I want t keep this one pretty tame and ultra reliable, we camp off grid a lot and most of the time by ourselves so keeping it reliable is Key for us... Thanks for the replies and legwork on this...

·
Mean Time Moderator
5,100 Posts
I’ve modded every vehicle I’ve owned, I want t keep this one pretty tame and ultra reliable, we camp off grid a lot and most of the time by ourselves so keeping it reliable is Key for us... Thanks for the replies and legwork on this...
Well I guess the reliability is yet to be proven but I don’t see that it should be any less reliable. You’re not adding components that add stress or working outside of the design limits of the engine or transmission. OE vehicles are tuned for emissions and economy so their potential is constrained by these factors. In the old days of winding up pumps etc to squeeze more out yes you began to operate outside the parameters but not so much these days, just unlocking what's already there.

I don’t drive for performance but do think the shift changes are to the benefit of the vehicle as well as the drive.

·
Premium Member
10,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #436
G'Day MP,
glad to help....
to my knowledge there is only 1 SVVTI tuned FJ ..in the world...at the moment.. @debFJVT has it loaded with the engine tune / complete package.
Its chalk and cheese ..really...even with the SVVTI ...and totally reversible to stock....
Deb maybe able to throw more light on the tuned experience ....

I have also relayed the info to Raptor....

Cheers
Baz

·
Premium Member
10,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #437
Yeah, I read through the entire thread so I realize they can't do a supercharger tune. But, from what it sounded like, they are taking existing ECU firmware and modifying it. My hope was (and it's definitely a longshot) that they could take my TRD flashed firmware and only apply the tranmission mods to it. That way I could retain the TRD engine changes but get the fancy transmission changes.
G'Day SD,
I've passed your message onto Raptor, as well.... to see if anything can be done .... its way too technical for me to know.... :rofl:

Cheers
Baz

·
MOAB SUPERSTAR
5,758 Posts
G'Day MP,
glad to help....
to my knowledge there is only 1 SVVTI tuned FJ ..in the world...at the moment.. @debFJVT has it loaded with the engine tune / complete package.
Its chalk and cheese ..really...even with the SVVTI ...and totally reversible to stock....
Deb maybe able to throw more light on the tuned experience ....

I have also relayed the info to Raptor....

Cheers
Baz
Yes! Im in the middle of doing a write up and it will soon appear :thinkerg: Have to say it’s a wonderful mod - I really REALLY love it.....stay tuned! :blueblob:

·
Registered
79 Posts
Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on this, and a long term real world review..

·
Desert Moderator
5,652 Posts
Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on this, and a long term real world review..
I'll give you a review.
It's awesome. Buy it.
Oh - and it hasn't affected my long term MPG or reliability, or coolant temps in hot weather.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

421 - 440 of 630 Posts