Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

501 - 520 of 629 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #501
G'day,
Like ID, I've been running an Airaid / dry filter for years...nil issues with it...loads of dry dusty conditions... hence the snorkel ... and I have two filter elements, so I can drop/swap n go ..while the old is washed and dried.... only takes 2 minutes to swap out... many DU also use a snorkel pre-filter sock to help filter the air, personally I don't...
If its really dusty, I'll turn the snorkel head around.... or swap over to a spin top head for increased cleaning - pre-filter.
The FJ has a "CAI" anyway... but its restrictive.... you can mod the stock airbox to gain air intake and effect .. by opening up the airbox inlet....
Having an improved air intake ...how ever you do it... will enhance the Raptor tune performance...its almost a must do...

Cheers
Baz
:blueblob:

·
Registered
54 Posts
Ok I cant stop now,I will have to grab a CAI, I was thinking do away w the cyclonic baffle in the beginning of the of the airpath with straight tubing ,I have a AFE dry filter Part Number: 30-10114 in the stock airbox, Would deleting the cyclonic baffle achieve anything better?

·
Premium Member
10,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #503
Ok I cant stop now,I will have to grab a CAI, I was thinking do away w the cyclonic baffle in the beginning of the of the airpath with straight tubing ,I have a AFE dry filter Part Number: 30-10114 in the stock airbox, Would deleting the cyclonic baffle achieve anything better?
The more you can open it up... the better.... but with the 07-09 intake system it could be different to how the plus 10 works....
Cheers
Baz

·
Registered
54 Posts
The more you can open it up... the better.... but with the 07-09 intake system it could be different to how the plus 10 works....
Cheers
Baz
Thats what I thought I havent run into any mods to the airbox for 07-09 im going to order a CAI and be done with it I just havent decided which one :confused:

·
Premium Member
10,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #505
Thats what I thought I havent run into any mods to the airbox for 07-09 im going to order a CAI and be done with it I just havent decided which one :confused:
Might as well....you gone this far.... :rofl:
cheers
Baz

·
Registered
740 Posts
Dry filter every time. Paper automotive filter media generally filters down to the 20 micron range. Cloth mesh/gauze is up in the 100-150 area. :cowfrown:

I've had lots of K&Ns on dirt bikes and other vehicles and its shocking how much grit gets past those things. Never had the same result with paper filters. Not to mention they're a mess to clean, and the consumables can be expensive.

Otherwise I think it would be hard to go wrong with AFE, Air Raid, S&B, or Volant intakes. They're all about on par quality wise, and offer dry filters as an option.

·
Registered
54 Posts
AFE FTW :cheers:

·
Registered
151 Posts
Looking at the pictures on the AFE site it looks almost like there’s a second air port on the bottom. Can owner of one clarify this or does it only draw air in through the stock location?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
54 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,479 Posts
I've been looking at the Airaid CAI. Waffling back and forth on the dry vs oiled. Leaning towards the dry but worry about dusty conditions.

SynthaFlow = oiled. SynthaMax = dry.

I'd think in Boise you'd have dusty conditions in the summer.. Do you just clean the dry filter more often? I'll definitely listen to someone with many years of experience. :smile Our back roads here get VERY dusty in the summer..

Thanks,
Lee
G'day,
Like ID, I've been running an Airaid / dry filter for years...nil issues with it...loads of dry dusty conditions... hence the snorkel ... and I have two filter elements, so I can drop/swap n go ..while the old is washed and dried.... only takes 2 minutes to swap out... many DU also use a snorkel pre-filter sock to help filter the air, personally I don't...
If its really dusty, I'll turn the snorkel head around.... or swap over to a spin top head for increased cleaning - pre-filter.
The FJ has a "CAI" anyway... but its restrictive.... you can mod the stock airbox to gain air intake and effect .. by opening up the airbox inlet....
Having an improved air intake ...how ever you do it... will enhance the Raptor tune performance...its almost a must do...

Cheers
Baz
Lee, I concur with Baz. The areas I travel get awful dusty. If I run through particularly dusty conditions, I'll just pop the dry filter out and bang on it to shake loose the accumulated dust, then reinstall. I also periodically clean it (from the inside out) with water and a mild soap, then let it dry before reinstalling.

·
Desert Moderator
5,648 Posts
Lee, I concur with Baz. The areas I travel get awful dusty. If I run through particularly dusty conditions, I'll just pop the dry filter out and bang on it to shake loose the accumulated dust, then reinstall. I also periodically clean it (from the inside out) with water and a mild soap, then let it dry before reinstalling.
I've kept the '14 airbox, filter and cyclone thing 100% stock.
The only mod I'd make is to add a snorkel - only then I would consider removing the cyclone thing - at the moment It is way too useful at removing the dust / sand churned up by the wheels and sucked into the airbox.

·
トヨタ Master
5,765 Posts
Its actually on the side of the airbox near the top its a port for an intake duct kit they make but theres not an FJ application. Take a peek here https://afepower.com/vehicle-platforms/gas-trucks/toyota/05-15-tacoma
Any confirmed fitment of the Tacoma air horn on the FJ Application?

https://afepower.com/afe-power-54-81162-magnum-force-stage-2-si-pro-5r-cold-air-intake-system

I don't see a boss for it but I'm sure it could be adapted. Or does the early Tacoma AFE Momentum actually fit the FJ?

·
Forum Beer Miester
3,490 Posts
I don't remember your snorkel install, how does the Kazakhstan plumb into the AFE box? Yours is a '12 right?
Yea that’s right, they make an air inlet that fits the enlarged AFE aperture that also fits the TRD box. My ‘11 has to have the linkage that runs through the inner fender to the box as well.

·
Registered
54 Posts
CAI+RaptorTune 07-09 =More Giddy up! Power/Torque/Fun! Thanks for pushing me over the edge Deb!:smile It sounds great too at 3/4 to WOT.

·
Desert Moderator
5,648 Posts
Damp (not wet) road today, gave it a robust launch from a standstill to merge with traffic, and had a significant traction control intervention...
No big deal you might say - but mine is a 6MT so full time 4WD... That's a new experience...

501 - 520 of 629 Posts