Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

521 - 540 of 629 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #524
I can’t believe I’m now considering a tune for my 200hp barge...you guys are killing me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Don't fight it ....... embrace it ....... :rofl::rofl:
it is inevitable.......

Just ask @Lee44

:rofl::rofl:

Cheers
Baz
:blueblob:

The Raptor Club ...........................................................................................................................................................

·
Premium Member
10,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #526
No crash and burn yet??
Hey Mikey,
If the Q is have I had any side effects with the tune ..... hell no... other than driving faster and smoother, with better pulling power ..I don't think I have taken a hit on mpg either...but not really monitoring this ..( or really care) hahahahaha
The tune just makes the FJ a stronger beastie....

Cheers
Baz

·
Premium Member
10,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #528
Side effects, hiccups or just general weirdness.

Good to hear all is well.
None of the above..... after a while you don't even notice it....your mind becomes accustomed to the performance and ability.... and it becomes the norm.... like it could have been from the factory ....
Cheers
Baz

·
Premium Member
10,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #531
G'Day,
Just adding this here as well as the what I bought today thread, to maintain continuity...... within the Raptor thread..

Here is what NST say about harmonic dampers .... as a start....
https://www.shopnonstoptuning.com/bl...od-bad-depends

here is their response to my email ....
"
Thank you for the interest and inquiry, we appreciate it.

Our 1GR Pulleys have been some of the most popular items in our catalog, for over a decade now, and we have customers who have been using these pulleys successfully for many years.

With regards to harmonics, vibrations, engine balance, etc. we have spent a great deal of time and effort in putting everything we've learned in our fifteen years of development and testing here...

https://www.shopnonstoptuning.com/bl...od-bad-depends"

Raptor's response was that if the crank pulley doesn't have a damper ...he would not use it ....
"
Baz

I think the most worthwhile would be the crankpulley, but the unknowns are what is the quality of the harmonic dampener - could it affect crankshaft life??

Also, once that anodising wears off - and it will, then the pulley grooves wear away fast

I think there would be benefit for acceleration - definitely "

The NST website, sort of contradicts this .... and believes it makes no difference ... as the 1GR never revs high enough to be an issue, eg +10000 rpm....

cheers
Baz

·
Desert Moderator
5,648 Posts
G'Day,
Just adding this here as well as the what I bought today thread, to maintain continuity...... within the Raptor thread..

Here is what NST say about harmonic dampers .... as a start....
https://www.shopnonstoptuning.com/bl...od-bad-depends

here is their response to my email ....
"
Thank you for the interest and inquiry, we appreciate it.

Our 1GR Pulleys have been some of the most popular items in our catalog, for over a decade now, and we have customers who have been using these pulleys successfully for many years.

With regards to harmonics, vibrations, engine balance, etc. we have spent a great deal of time and effort in putting everything we've learned in our fifteen years of development and testing here...

https://www.shopnonstoptuning.com/bl...od-bad-depends"

Raptor's response was that if the crank pulley doesn't have a damper ...he would not use it ....
"
Baz

I think the most worthwhile would be the crankpulley, but the unknowns are what is the quality of the harmonic dampener - could it affect crankshaft life??

Also, once that anodising wears off - and it will, then the pulley grooves wear away fast

I think there would be benefit for acceleration - definitely "

The NST website, sort of contradicts this .... and believes it makes no difference ... as the 1GR never revs high enough to be an issue, eg +10000 rpm....

cheers
Baz
If anyone has had a harmonic balancer go bad, they'll know it's not fun. It's there for a reason.
Yeah it'll rev faster, but it's going to effect engine life too.
I also have a MINI Cooper S, and people love to fcuk with them, and just about everyone that's gone for lightweight pulleys instead of the harmonic balancer has regretted it unless they're racing and rebuilding the engine regularly.

By all means lighten the flywheel if you like, but leave the harmonic balancer unmolested.
If you're offroading, you may want to go the other way (heavier flywheel).

·
Premium Member
2,479 Posts
Got my Powergate. Followed the instructions (open box, hook up OBD cable to screen, plug into FJ's OBD, calibrate screen, attempt to pull stock tune from ECU), but got an error message. See photo.

I contacted Raptor and they asked if i "updated" the Powergate by hooking to my PC prior to attempting to read the stock file...? This is not in the provided instructions. I've asked Raptor for further clarification, but thought I'd ask here as well.

Anyone know what this means, i.e., update the Powergate before reading the stock ECU file?

Thanks.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
10,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #534
Got my Powergate. Followed the instructions (open box, hook up OBD cable to screen, plug into FJ's OBD, calibrate screen, attempt to pull stock tune from ECU), but got an error message. See photo.

I contacted Raptor and they asked if i "updated" the Powergate by hooking to my PC prior to attempting to read the stock file...? This is not in the provided instructions. I've asked Raptor for further clarification, but thought I'd ask here as well.

Anyone know what this means, i.e., update the Powergate before reading the stock ECU file?

Thanks.
G'Day ID,
Yes I know... :lol:
Before plugging the PG into the FJ OBDI port, you need to update the PG itself to make sure it has the latest updates etc....
Have you downloaded the Toyota Gate software that Tim sent you and installed it onto your computer ?
If so...
Launch the Toyota Gate program and then connect the PG to your computer using the USB cable - it will automatically connect to the Internet and down load the latest patches etc.....
Once finished, unplug the PG and connect to the FJ, and repeat ....

one of two things will happen...
a. it will read the ECU and copy the ECU file ....
or b. it will fail to read the ECU.

If it reads the ECU

Launch the Toyota Gate software, and connect the PG to your computer.
download the USRLog File - rename it IDFJ USRLogfile plus the current date .. ( eg IDFJ USRLog111219 )
Email it to Tim so he can tweak it and send you back the Tune Dat file...

If it fails to read the ECU
download the USRLog File - rename it IDFJ USRLogfile plus the date..
Email this to Tim so he can update the global PG file with your ECU key ....
Tim will advise when this is done, then repeat the process .... download the latest patches onto the PG .... then connect to the FJ ... download and rename the USRLog file ( change the date) and send to Tim...

Once you have the Tune Dat file from Tim .... upload it from your computer to the PG ...then connect the PG to your FJ and flash the modified tune into the ECU...presto ..and done ....

Cheers
Baz

·
Premium Member
2,479 Posts
Once finished, unplug the PG and connect to the FJ, and repeat ....

one of two things will happen...
a. it will read the ECU and copy the ECU file ....
or b. it will fail to read the ECU.

If it reads the ECU

download the USRLog File - rename it IDFJ USRLogfile plus the current date .. ( eg IDFJ USRLog111219 )
Email it to Tim so he can tweak it and send you back the Tune Dat file...

If it fails to read the ECU
download the USRLog File - rename it IDFJ USRLogfile plus the date..
Email this to Tim so he can update the global PG file with your ECU key ....
Tim will advise when this is done, then repeat the process .... download the latest patches onto the PG .... then connect to the FJ ... download and rename the USRLog file ( change the date) and send to Tim...

Once you have the Tune Dat file from Tim .... upload it from your computer to the PG ...then connect the PG to your FJ and flash the modified tune into the ECU...presto ..and done ....

Cheers
Baz
It'd be nice of them to include some of this in the instructions. :lol:

What do you mean by "connect to FJ and repeat"? Repeat what?

·
Premium Member
10,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #536
It'd be nice of them to include some of this in the instructions. :lol:

What do you mean by "connect to FJ and repeat"? Repeat what?
G'Day ID,
haha, yes i have chided Tim about the instructions - there is an instruction to connect the PG to your computer in the We Transfer message.... but not in the written Raptor instructions.... he needs to fix that...

sorry my bad ..for not explaining ....
repeat your first attempt at connecting the PG to your FJ...ie, hook it up to the OBDI port and see if it will read the ECU... like you did, before updating the PG ...
Cheers
Baz

·
Premium Member
2,396 Posts
@IDFJ please let us know. I'd like to learn about these little bumps before I do mine, thanks. :smile

·
Premium Member
2,396 Posts
Lee, will do. I have not yet tried what Baz explained. Damn work, ruins everything.

BTW, so far, I hate the new forum format, but I generally hate any change.
Still getting a feel for the new format. Everything appears to be there, plus the new.. It will be a challenge for my shot term memory ;) I'll drag/drop an image just for a test.

Damn, it works

And thanks for keeping us updated on the tune procedures. (y)

·
Premium Member
2,479 Posts
Still getting a feel for the new format. Everything appears to be there, plus the new.. It will be a challenge for my shot term memory ;) I'll drag/drop an image just for a test. View attachment 1116453
Damn, it works

And thanks for keeping us updated on the tune procedures. (y)
I've been stuck on this screen on my laptop for about 20 minutes. Doesn't seem right. Wheel of death and no obvious progress being made...?

521 - 540 of 629 Posts