Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

41 - 60 of 1071 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Cory, are you in the U.S.? If so, what was the shipping cost from Australia? Thanks.
G'Day ID,
Shipping to the US is USD$40 from DU.
This was confirmed to me yesterday, but they had not established a USD price for the unit ...might have now...
cheers
Baz
:blueblob:

·
Desert Moderator
6,664 Posts
Export price should be less GST, plus international shipping. You will be responsible for local import duties/taxes.

·
Premium Member
11,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
I noticed that the Dyno tests for the 91 and 95 octane tunes on the Raptor website are compared to the same (exactly the same) baseline data, presumably stock tune running 91 octane fuel. I would also assume that the 95 octane tune was run with 95 octane fuel, so the comparison given is probably not fair. Anyway, looking at these the 91 octane tune looks to be pretty beneficial in the range I usually operate (< 3500 rpm). Comments?
G'Day Mate,
I cut n pasted your post and emailed to Tim @ Raptor... he is his reply..... I'd suggest if you need more clarification to email Tim directly .....

The 91 torque line is overly fat at the start and I believe for the first few hundred rpm of the run it is erroneous

If he runs 91 the gain is just a bit less than 95, regard the 95 torque as being typical - no giant bulge at the start

Hope that helps

Regards

Tim

·
Premium Member
11,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
One Week Report
G'Day,
After a week of driving Bozo in a Stage 4 Tuned state, here are few observations.
1. Normal suburban driving.
you won't notice any power improvement if you stay under 2000 rpm in any gear in suburbia.
you will notice the changed shift points in the tranny, and it will feel smoother, but it still feels like a standard FJ.
Pottering around at 50-60kph, Bozo is still docile and calm.

If you need to get to 50-60 kpm in a hurry, and boot it into the plus 2000 rpm range the power and acceleration is obvious as the 1GR opens up smoothly and quickly.... and fast....

2. Highway cycle
I took Bozo up the Lapstone hill today, gateway to the Blue Mountains...
On the M4 freeway at 80kph, in road work zones...ho hum, popped on Cruise and he happily sat at 80...

Before the tune ..he just didnt like 5th/80kph/cruise...wasn't smooth or happy doing 1350rpm at 80.... but now still doing 1350/80 he felt happy and content to tootle along, no hunting for gears, no up n down ..no lag or moaning. I put this down to the ECU transmission tweaks more than engine power...but I could be wrong.... point is he was happy to sit at 80...no fuss.
Out of the 80 into 110kph zone, I simply accelerated quickly and he took of like a rocket... enter the 2000 plus rpm and he gets a real giddy up... He did drop into 4th but it was smooth and effortless..no lag - the wakey wakey syndrome has gone... and held 4th till well after 100kph, then quietly slipped in to 5th... doing 110 kph at about 1950 rpm.... at 100kph he sits on 1750 rpm in 5th.

The power and new smooth shifts really change the 1GR/A750 ...

Going up the Lapstone Hill.... I was able to stay at the speed limit without increasing throttle, till he dropped down to 4th and held 4th all the way to the top...and I could have accelerated after the 55kph bend.... but was still doing 70....
temps increased a little bit, but nothing like they used too, labouring up the hill.... very pleased with the pulling power under load.... how it should have been tuned by Yoda....not for emmissions and economy !!!! Bad Yoda !!

for the past 6-7 years I have driven in 4th until 80 kph plus, to avoid the lag and hunting / sleepy / wake up gear changes...
For the last week, I have left it in 5th ( mostly) ... and the change is impressive.... this also reduced trans temps and water temps

Off road and 4wd, I am still yet to test, but the low end torque and power should really change the fun....

Cheers
Baz

·
Premium Member
11,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
I'll be interesting to see if there is any difference to fuel economy.
Gday Norm,
I am curious too...
But at the same ...it is what it is.
The general consensus appears to be economy either improves or remains the same, depending on your right foot.
I'll be checking my consumption for a while. And will revert with results.
Cheers
Baz

·
Mean Time Moderator
5,522 Posts
Gday Norm,
I am curious too...
But at the same ...it is what it is.
The general consensus appears to be economy either improves or remains the same, depending on your right foot.
I'll be checking my consumption for a while. And will revert with results.
Cheers
Baz
Stays the same would be fine, improves would be a bonus, at our fuel prices (£1.25/litre) a decrease would be hard.

·
Mean Time Moderator
5,522 Posts
The trick is not to look at consumption ....ever....and just enjoy the extra power and performance...
Hahahahahahaha

But ...ouch, 1.25/Li ....

Cheers
Baz
I don't really but I do notice £80 plus to fill one tank

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Baz, Your description sounds a lot like what I notice with my s/c. All in a tune at about 1/5 the price.

I do hope they get a Maggie/TRD tune eventually. Dam carb compliant tunes bringing down my gains.

·
Premium Member
11,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Baz, Your description sounds a lot like what I notice with my s/c. All in a tune at about 1/5 the price.

I do hope they get a Maggie/TRD tune eventually. Dam carb compliant tunes bringing down my gains.
G'Day Cliffy,
I hope they do too.
The challenge is going to be finding a local with a Mag / TRD s/c.... we never got the option, unless it was a private import.
I do not know enough ( anything really ) about s/c ...setups ... and whether Raptor can port across their tunes to suit Mag/TRD
Could be worth asking....
I'll have a chat to Tim @ raptor... tho' he is flat out like a lizard drinking ...at the moment...
Cheers
Baz

41 - 60 of 1071 Posts