Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

721 - 740 of 1061 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Baz,
Thanks! Once Tim gets back to me I'm sending the $$$.
Tims sending me the invoice today. I will take some before and after pictures as I tune. Also the new 33" tires. My suspension is tested and ready for more of everything. I completely serviced the drive train. With what Tim is suggesting 50 HP base tune plus 12 HP with the new air box = 62 HP on 91 Octane. Lots of torque in the bottom end. According to my Toyota techs the DVVT-i engine was de-tuned to stop inexperienced drivers from killing themselves. As Deb said "you have to adapt your driving style to the increased torque band" which means cool it on icy roads and in the rain. I like it!!!:)

·
Premium Member
842 Posts
Tims sending me the invoice today. I will take some before and after pictures as I tune. Also the new 33" tires. My suspension is tested and ready for more of everything. I completely serviced the drive train. With what Tim is suggesting 50 HP base tune plus 12 HP with the new air box = 62 HP on 91 Octane. Lots of torque in the bottom end. According to my Toyota techs the DVVT-i engine was de-tuned to stop inexperienced drivers from killing themselves. As Deb said "you have to adapt your driving style to the increased torque band" which means cool it on icy roads and in the rain. I like it!!!:)
My ECU and PG went back in the mail yesterday and is on its way home. (y) Based on you being on the other side of the country you may get yours before me!

·
Registered
221 Posts
My ECU and PG went back in the mail yesterday and is on its way home. (y) Based on you being on the other side of the country you may get yours before me!
C Ray, like I said, you took one for the team. Thank you for noticing that we had the same ECU. I'm excited. We need to trade notes once you get yours installed. I'm testing with my old tires first then going to the bigger tires. If I go with 305/70R16s I will also do the air box. I have a friend with a dyno but he will still charge me for data that has already been published by Tim.

And thanks to everyone else who adopted this technology early on. It provides significant gains without insane cost adders!(y)

·
Premium Member
11,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #724
Tim would have sent it DHL courier ..not snail mail.... you will have it next week
Cheers
Baz

·
Premium Member
842 Posts
C Ray, like I said, you took one for the team. Thank you for noticing that we had the same ECU. I'm excited. We need to trade notes once you get yours installed. I'm testing with my old tires first then going to the bigger tires. If I go with 305/70R16s I will also do the air box. I have a friend with a dyno but he will still charge me for data that has already been published by Tim.

And thanks to everyone else who adopted this technology early on. It provides significant gains without insane cost adders!(y)
It's all good. If you do install the airbox I'll be interested in whether you notice additional results. I removed the pre-filter from the stock box and dropped in an aFe filter to improve the intake flow, but never felt any change (not that I really expected to), so I'm wondering if it will provide any additional boost to the tune. Also, did you get the all-fuel tune or the hi-octane-only tune?

·
Premium Member
842 Posts
Tim would have sent it DHL courier ..not snail mail.... you will have it next week
Cheers
Baz
Yep, got the tracking number from him.
All of this down time has actually been a good thing, it's given me a chance to get a lot of maintenance and clean up work done. Only thing I haven't been able to get done is an alignment that I badly need.

·
Forum Beer Miester
3,934 Posts
Does anyone have experience with the raptor tune on their fj along with a pedal commander

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk
Yea I do, I actually run the Sprint Booster. It’s pretty touchy in sport mode and very jumpy in race mode compared to pre tune. The shift points are far far better with the Raptor tune for sure when running the booster, it’s very peppy.

I will say though it’s definitely a two foot crawler after the tune, very jumpy when coupled with 4.88’s, I love it!

·
Desert Moderator
6,483 Posts
How dumb is “race” mode on an FJ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Not dumb at all when I'm flogging it down a sand track Baja style.
Pre-Tune all that could keep up was a Raptor. Now I think the old V8 Raptor might have to work pretty hard to beat it.

·
Forum Beer Miester
3,934 Posts
Awesome thanks. I'll be getting the pedal commander first and work on saving 1k so I can get the tune. I see it as a very acceptable alternative to the sc.
Absolutely, this tune is a real game changer especially with a throttle control unit like I have. It was so incredibly peppy this past year I had to turn the booster off on trails in Moab.

·
Registered
221 Posts
How dumb is “race” mode on an FJ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
A lot of people actually race FJs offroad and they are very competative.

·
Registered
221 Posts
You guys are killing me. Has anyone had it on a dyno pre and post install?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Yes, you can see all the dyno pulls on Tim's site. If someone wants to pay for my Dyno session I will take mine to Precision Motorwerks, $500.00 per hour. They have free dyno days in some shops but you only get one pull per day, then you have to wait for the next free session.

·
Desert Moderator
6,483 Posts
Yes, you can see all the dyno pulls on Tim's site. If someone wants to pay for my Dyno session I will take mine to Precision Motorwerks, $500.00 per hour. They have free dyno days in some shops but you only get one pull per day, then you have to wait for the next free session.
The dyno graphs on the site are for the "all fuel" map only. They don't have one for the hotter "98 RON" map which I have loaded, but I can tell you, it's savage. More torque throughout the range, and more power.
The 4k RPM performance jump on the DVVTI is less marked because there's more torque lower down, so a smoother transition, and easier climb into the real power. Now before anyone says thats just because the new trans map makes it seem like that, I can unequivocally call BS, because I have a manual transmission.
On soft sand, I can often get away without deflating, AND run in a higher gear than I could previously. Obviously soft sand & 32 PSI aren't great bedfellows, but there's no way the FJ could do that pre-map in 1st gear, let alone in 2nd gear. When I deflate, it's like I'm cheating, especially when I start locking diffs.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Where do you live??? That’s crazy, they’re like $100/hr down here

·
Registered
229 Posts
The dyno graphs on the site are for the "all fuel" map only. They don't have one for the hotter "98 RON" map which I have loaded, but I can tell you, it's savage. More torque throughout the range, and more power.
The 4k RPM performance jump on the DVVTI is less marked because there's more torque lower down, so a smoother transition, and easier climb into the real power. Now before anyone says thats just because the new trans map makes it seem like that, I can unequivocally call BS, because I have a manual transmission.
On soft sand, I can often get away without deflating, AND run in a higher gear than I could previously. Obviously soft sand & 32 PSI aren't great bedfellows, but there's no way the FJ could do that pre-map in 1st gear, let alone in 2nd gear. When I deflate, it's like I'm cheating, especially when I start locking diffs.
So 98 Ron should translate to 93 here in the States, I think, could absolutely be off on that.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Ok, I just revisited the raptor site, 50hp peak and 25hp gains across the range...if DVVTI. That is some solid numbers for just a remap

Less interesting for my 08

721 - 740 of 1061 Posts