Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

741 - 760 of 1061 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Where do you live??? That’s crazy, they’re like $100/hr down here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Los Angeles = Lost Cause. Actually I just moved to Orange County which is trying to become San Jose

·
Registered
223 Posts
The dyno graphs on the site are for the "all fuel" map only. They don't have one for the hotter "98 RON" map which I have loaded, but I can tell you, it's savage. More torque throughout the range, and more power.
The 4k RPM performance jump on the DVVTI is less marked because there's more torque lower down, so a smoother transition, and easier climb into the real power. Now before anyone says thats just because the new trans map makes it seem like that, I can unequivocally call BS, because I have a manual transmission.
On soft sand, I can often get away without deflating, AND run in a higher gear than I could previously. Obviously soft sand & 32 PSI aren't great bedfellows, but there's no way the FJ could do that pre-map in 1st gear, let alone in 2nd gear. When I deflate, it's like I'm cheating, especially when I start locking diffs.
I'm really keen on this. Are your running a modified intake?

Tim said it would be a beast if I also do my intake system. He hasn't gotten back to me yet but he knows I don't want the all tune. The lowest I ever run is USA 91 Octane. I can get USA 100 Octane from UNOCAL which is about 5 blocks from work. I used to put it in my supercharged Nissan Xterras and they loved it.

Americas tire will let me test fit some 305/70R16s after I tune. I'm going to be running Pismo dunes. I understand how sand can load you down. Gears may be next but if I do that the tires will also get bigger.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I know a couple spots in LA that are reasonable if you’re interested

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Sure. I only know the Porsche and Corvette guys so their prices are insane.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Ah yes, the yuppie tax. I have not experienced that stage yet. If I am lucky and healthy I will.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Desert Moderator
6,491 Posts
I'm really keen on this. Are your running a modified intake?

Tim said it would be a beast if I also do my intake system. He hasn't gotten back to me yet but he knows I don't want the all tune. The lowest I ever run is USA 91 Octane. I can get USA 100 Octane from UNOCAL which is about 5 blocks from work. I used to put it in my supercharged Nissan Xterras and they loved it.

Americas tire will let me test fit some 305/70R16s after I tune. I'm going to be running Pismo dunes. I understand how sand can load you down. Gears may be next but if I do that the tires will also get bigger.
Stock intake because I need all the filtration I can get. A snorkel would help that so it's not pulling so much dust through the fender, and the incoming air would be cooler. The fender intake is about 20c over ambient temp.
Yeah I think 98RON is about 93 in the US, but that tune can't run lower grade fuel, so you'll be stuck with 93 or 100. I have also got the all fuel tune on the PG so I can switch to that if I can't get premium fuel out in the sticks.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I just did this tune... highly recommend... noticable gains!
Excellent! I will be joining you soon. I'm testing 305/70R16 tires right now which are going to need the extra poop when I run in sand.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Stock intake because I need all the filtration I can get. A snorkel would help that so it's not pulling so much dust through the fender, and the incoming air would be cooler. The fender intake is about 20c over ambient temp.
Yeah I think 98RON is about 93 in the US, but that tune can't run lower grade fuel, so you'll be stuck with 93 or 100. I have also got the all fuel tune on the PG so I can switch to that if I can't get premium fuel out in the sticks.
Amaclach,
Thanks for the intake temperature data. That's what I thought even though I never had a chance to put a thermocouple on the air inlet. The stock intake does a pretty good job of capturing dust. I'm not going to modify it. Every time I squeeze the trap I get about a half a shot of grit out. An after market intake, maybe. I need to take a closer look. I have used Volant before on two trucks. Increases were impressive and the dry filters catch a lot of material:

So fuel is not an issue. I can get 100 USA Octane near my house. Lot's of people fuel up desert racers near me. As you said you can always switch the PGM if you can't get premium fuel. Any thoughts about using Octane boosters? I know they can cause plug deposits.

·
Premium Member
11,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #755
G'Day Step,
To gain the max out of the tune.... I would suggest either modifying the airbox .... or use an aftermarket CAI, like TRD or Airaid.
The 1GR really likes a lot of air ... the more the better ... so if you are chasing the ultimate power increase ..do it...
If you are running 100 USA octane ... you don't need an octane booster ... imho ...
the HP tune, is already tweaked for hi octane gas ....adding a booster could upset the trims and knock sensor parameters ...

cheers
Baz

·
Registered
223 Posts
G'Day Step,
To gain the max out of the tune.... I would suggest either modifying the airbox .... or use an aftermarket CAI, like TRD or Airaid.
The 1GR really likes a lot of air ... the more the better ... so if you are chasing the ultimate power increase ..do it...
If you are running 100 USA octane ... you don't need an octane booster ... imho ...
the HP tune, is already tweaked for hi octane gas ....adding a booster could upset the trims and knock sensor parameters ...

cheers
Baz
Baz,
Thanks! Volant has a CAI that pulls from the front of the truck above the headlight. Really well made IMO. They work well on SC units because they are real CAIs. Volant is 20 miles away so they will let me test fit. So the location is good for cold air and no dirt. It's not for river crossings and it will pull in bugs.

I'm still waiting for my invoice from Tim. Do you know how long that takes?

BR,
Step

·
Premium Member
11,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #757
G'Day Step,
Volant are good too... so go for it.
I'll chase up Tim for you, he should have done it... but perhaps the weekend got in the way....
Tks
Baz

·
Registered
223 Posts
g'day Step,
you will have it in an hour or two
Cheers
Baz
Baz,
Thanks. I knew he had limited inventory on PowerGates. That's why I was so keen.
BR,
Step

741 - 760 of 1061 Posts