Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

781 - 800 of 1061 Posts

·
Premium Member
842 Posts
ECU and PG are finally back! (y) It's been a long 5 weeks.... ECU is reinstalled and everything is working again. Hopefully Tim will send the tune in the next couple days (not sure if he works the weekends). I can't wait to hit the drag strip!?? Seriously though, I guess I need to drive around for a day or two with the Sprint Booster turned off so I have a better baseline for the improvements.

·
Premium Member
11,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #782
The PG can be cleared to original state easily. There is a utility to erase all files in memory. If someone wants the tune but no PGs are available sharing the PG would be doable. Would Raptor be amenable to that??
g'Day Panglao,
The PG can erase all data files, but once it has recorded the VIN and CALID, it is locked to the vehicle. To my knowledge the PG cannot be easily erased to a factory virgin setting to be re-used. You would need access to AlienTech software to do it...
the risk would be making the PG useless to all ..including the original owner ...
Cheers
Baz

·
Premium Member
11,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #783
Baz,

I just sent this to Tim. Does this look correct?

Hi Tim,

Attached is my stock stephous02_29_20.usr file. The PG identified my FJ as a 1GRE 239HP. is that correct?

Please let me know when you receive this and if my *.usr is correct.

Best Regards,
Stephen

Truck now has 33" x 16" tires. View attachment 1123243

BR,
Step
G'Day Step,
yep, sounds about right... ready to tune the beastie....
Cheers
Baz

·
Premium Member
11,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #784
ECU and PG are finally back! (y) It's been a long 5 weeks.... ECU is reinstalled and everything is working again. Hopefully Tim will send the tune in the next couple days (not sure if he works the weekends). I can't wait to hit the drag strip!?? Seriously though, I guess I need to drive around for a day or two with the Sprint Booster turned off so I have a better baseline for the improvements.
G'Day CR,
I'd start from scratch ... standard no frills stock .... leave the SB off ...then build up to your desired performance...
Stock ....
RT ....
finally if you need it the SB ...

That way you will understand and notice the improvement
Cheers
Baz

·
Registered
221 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
I just installed the 98 Octane Tune. This is my response to Tim (politically correct version):

Tim,

Holy s#*t!!! As she was warming up I thought I had high lift cams. Once we got up to temp things changed radically. It's a different beast. Normal throttle is maintained until about 50% then things really start to happen. If I mash the throttle she kicks me in the ass hard. I could only stand on the throttle for short runs because I was closing on other cars very quickly. Probably 1.5s faster from 0 to 60 MPH. Well Done!

BR,
Stephen

I'm really pleased with the tune. My flat spot is gone and my FJ pulls hard although I never got near redline. Probably 4K max and that was enough to convince me. The exhaust note is mean!

·
Registered
221 Posts
G'Day Stephen,
Well done mate .... beastie feels good ...doesn't it ....
Cheers
Baz
Baz,
Yes it does. From what Tim and David told me the 1GR-FE is a sleeping giant. That's why Lotus decided to use it instead of their own engine. The cooling and oiling systems were designed to eliminate hot spots. I'm convinced that Toyota tuned it down to prevent accidents. With this 98 Octane tune It's beyond what most drivers can handle. I'm not going to ask for more because it's more than enough for what I need. WOW!:p
BR,
Stephen

·
Premium Member
11,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #789
Baz,
Yes it does. From what Tim and David told me the 1GR-FE is a sleeping giant. That's why Lotus decided to use it instead of their own engine. The cooling and oiling systems were designed to eliminate hot spots. I'm convinced that Toyota tuned it down to prevent accidents. With this 98 Octane tune It's beyond what most drivers can handle. I'm not going to ask for more because it's more than enough for what I need. WOW!:p
BR,
Stephen
G'Day Step,
yoda definitely de-tuned the 1GR, all for mpg figures ... to sell more vehicles.... you have unlocked the beast...
Enjoy the power n performance ..
cheers
Baz

·
Desert Moderator
6,483 Posts
Just make sure it gets the good fuel on the 98 tune.

·
Desert Moderator
6,483 Posts
So give it a 2h Italian tune up!

·
Registered
221 Posts
What amaclach said about the air cleaner is important. The stock unit filters out a lot of fine grit but it still flows a lot of air. I installed an AFE high flow dry element today and felt the FJ get another bump in torque. If I install a TRD or Volant I will post results. Right now I'm pretty damn happy with the tune as it is. This bugger runs! Next I'm going to fill it with 100 Octane.

·
Premium Member
2,934 Posts
@bazross My understanding, if you have the All Fuels tune and run 92 octane (USA) the FJ will run better but not as good as the performance tune. ??

·
Premium Member
11,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #795
@bazross My understanding, if you have the All Fuels tune and run 92 octane (USA) the FJ will run better but not as good as the performance tune. ??
G'Day Lee,
the all Fuels tunes ( AFT ) will perform better with higher octane than lower octane.
the "98" tune or HP tune can only run the highest octane gas, down under that is 98 octane ..which is I think 93/94 in the US.
so to run 92 -USA - I'm guess thats about our 95 octane fuel ...

YES it will run better with 92 than 91/90/87.. etc,...

I don't think any one has compared the ATT to 98 ...in a direct shoot out... I don't even think Tim has ... as it requires the two different tunes loaded into the same vehicle and dyno'd ... etc....

I have the ATT in my FJ - modded and run 98 octane ..and the wife has the 98 in her stock 2015 Betty Boop .... and to be honest ..I can't tell them apart... but I reckon she would beat me in a drag race ...as she drives like she stole it... but mine sounds better .... hahaha

you can fill with 92/94 and could notice an improvement ... if you have been running "standard fuel" .... but its marginal ...I'd guess - if you would really notice it.... the consumption figures might support it ...

Cheers
Baz

·
MOAB SUPERSTAR
6,107 Posts
Wish I had better access to high octane fuel...especially when traveling cross-country. Most often the highest I can find is 91, and very rarely ethanol- free. So I guess it’s good I got the AFT tune but it makes me jealous hearing @stephous talk about getting 100 octane and his gains from the 98 octane tune! But not at all unhappy with mine...still makes me grin ever time I drive her ?

·
Premium Member
11,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #797
Wish I had better access to high octane fuel...especially when traveling cross-country. Most often the highest I can find is 91, and very rarely ethanol- free. So I guess it’s good I got the AFT tune but it makes me jealous hearing @stephous talk about getting 100 octane and his gains from the 98 octane tune! But not at all unhappy with mine...still makes me grin ever time I drive her ?
G'day Deb,
Maybe add a gallon of Benzoil...to each tank....for extra zoom....
Cheers
Baz

·
Registered
221 Posts
Deb,
You can Google 100 Octane and find the stations near you that carry it.
I'm also going to try 104+ Octane booster. If that works I will carry a few bottles in case I can't get 100 Octane.
BR,
Stephen

·
Premium Member
1,956 Posts
In looking into octane booster in the past, the tech articles I found on the subject showed that it can be difficult to be sure the booster is really providing what it says on the bottle. My S/C FJ requires 91+ (USA rating), and as Deb has pointed out, when travelling across country sometimes you find nothing but low test (87 or lower), especially in Nebraska and places like that (don't they MAKE gas there?). So, I got excited about carrying some bottles of "104+", but reading up on it, found that results may vary, a lot.

Seems like that stuff is not as straightforward as it seems like it should be.

One time I must have got a tank full of something really low octane from a station in remotest North Dakota/Nebraska and got the lowest mpg I've ever seen (like, 11mpg), even though the pump was labelled "91" (worn/wrinkled piece of paper taped to it said so). In that kind of case, in the future, when in doubt I'm pouring in a bottle of octane booster just in case.

Of course, if the fuel tank wasn't so baby sized this issue wouldn't come up so often on cross country trips.
N

·
Registered
40 Posts
This reinforces the adage that more is better, be it octane rating, cold air volume, tire size, french fries or anything. Being an American, I already know that. Must select the CAI and get the Cal ID from the ECU before ordering the PG3. It seems that the type of filter media is the primary factor in choosing, oil vs. dry and washable poly thin ply vs. disposable paper units. That’s difficult given most information available is manufacturers’ promotional marketing literature hype.

Still, I don’t expect much if any noticeable performance gain from an early 6MT engine, thus my focus on particulate trapping. Will decide on the Sprint Booster after the flash, Maybe that adage isn’t universal after all. Then again, I might be pleasantly surprised.

781 - 800 of 1061 Posts