Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

821 - 840 of 1071 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #821
Baz, that would be awesome, but I do understand the challenges involved with it. I don’t know why URD/UCON has not done something with this. I know their guy Scott, that designed the UCON, is beyond intelligent enough. And the Toyota shift parameters are just terrible, even with my wife’s bone stock FJ.

Cheers to you!,
Shannon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
G'Day Shannon,
Here is the reply from Raptor ...cut n paste ...
"
For the SC guys, I do understand, if we had the right customer who would knowingly be experimenting with us, I think in a max of 3 revisions we would have a calibration that would suit what they want. The first person would need to sign a waiver as such and we would work with them

Price remains the same as all the procedures and equipment to make it all happen remains the same etc
"

This actually applies to all S/C owners .... if they are willing to be the guinea pig ... so if anyone is interested ...shoot Raptor an email ....
One small step for man ....a giant leap for S/C FJ's ....
So it is possible ....

Cheers
Baz

·
Premium Member
11,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #822
G'Day,
Had an interesting conversation with Raptor today.... regarding tuning S/C units ...
1. They believe they can shift tune any S/C FJ .... including TRD S/C ....
2. and it might be possible ...a big might ... be possible to engine tweak the TRD S/C ...

now that the SVVTI can be tuned ... the thought is ...it opens the TRD S/C world too ..... Its highly unlikely they can engine tune a URD and any other aftermarket S/C ... only TRD ... but a shift tune for anyone is a real possibility

Its not been done on an FJ ... any where ...but Raptor have engine tuned TRD S/C'd Hilux / Taco .. successfully ....

So food for thought to all the S/C owners ..... worth having a conversation with Raptor ... @cliffy @shannon67
It would be particularly simple if Raptor already have the CAL ID of the ECU in their database ....

My earlier message is still applicable about signing a waiver and working with Raptor ... to achieve this ..

Cheers
Baz

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
G'Day,
Had an interesting conversation with Raptor today.... regarding tuning S/C units ...
1. They believe they can shift tune any S/C FJ .... including TRD S/C ....
2. and it might be possible ...a big might ... be possible to engine tweak the TRD S/C ...

now that the SVVTI can be tuned ... the thought is ...it opens the TRD S/C world too ..... Its highly unlikely they can engine tune a URD and any other aftermarket S/C ... only TRD ... but a shift tune for anyone is a real possibility

Its not been done on an FJ ... any where ...but Raptor have engine tuned TRD S/C'd Hilux / Taco .. successfully ....

So food for thought to all the S/C owners ..... worth having a conversation with Raptor ... @cliffy @shannon67
It would be particularly simple if Raptor already have the CAL ID of the ECU in their database ....

My earlier message is still applicable about signing a waiver and working with Raptor ... to achieve this ..

Cheers
Baz
Baz, that’s awesome news! I’ll shoot Raptor an email and see how long this process is expected to take. I may have to put this on hold for a few months though, since I have a month long trip coming up in a couple months. I wouldn’t want to take a risk this close to vacation time. Especially if I’m gonna be the guinea pig and that there may be the need to ship my ecu multiple times. But I’m definitely serious about doing this!

Thanks Baz!

Reactions: bazross

·
Premium Member
11,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #824
Baz, that’s awesome news! I’ll shoot Raptor an email and see how long this process is expected to take. I may have to put this on hold for a few months though, since I have a month long trip coming up in a couple months. I wouldn’t want to take a risk this close to vacation time. Especially if I’m gonna be the guinea pig and that there may be the need to ship my ecu multiple times. But I’m definitely serious about doing this!

Thanks Baz!

G'Day Shannon,
No probs mate... glad to help...
If Raptor already have the CAL ID for your ECU, you won't need to ship them the ECU ...so fingers crossed ..its a known ECU ... and save a lot of hassles .... it can all be done remotely via email files ...
What year model FJ do you have .... Raptor have most of the CAL ID's now for the US market ( AT models)...would be unlucky if yours was unknown ...lol
No rush if its down the track .... when you are ready is the time to do it .... but worth emailing Tim now to start the conversation ..

Cheers
Baz

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
G'Day Shannon,
No probs mate... glad to help...
If Raptor already have the CAL ID for your ECU, you won't need to ship them the ECU ...so fingers crossed ..its a known ECU ... and save a lot of hassles .... it can all be done remotely via email files ...
What year model FJ do you have .... Raptor have most of the CAL ID's now for the US market ( AT models)...would be unlucky if yours was unknown ...lol
No rush if its down the track .... when you are ready is the time to do it .... but worth emailing Tim now to start the conversation ..

Cheers
Baz
Oh wow! By email? How do the files get inside the ecu? Special cabling?
My Fj is an 08’ AT.

·
Premium Member
11,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #826
Oh wow! By email? How do the files get inside the ecu? Special cabling?
My Fj is an 08’ AT.

the process is the same as flashing for the full tune....
plug the PG3 into the OBDII port and read and flash the ECU, upload and download files ... etc
In your case the flash tune would only massage the shift points etc.... leaving the engine numbers alone ...
The challenge will be if the ECU is not in the database.... then Raptor need the ECU physically in Australia.
but even that process is simple .... as raptor will arrange to pickup your ECU from you and ship it via DHL to them ... plug it into the test bench grab the files etc.... and send the ECU back to you via DHL ... turn around would be 7-10 days max...( all at their cost ) then the real work can commence ... with working out the best shifts etc.... but thats done via email files....

I might have over stated that Raptor have most of the ECU IDs ... looking at the list there are still 4 or 5 unknowns .... and all fall into the 08/09 zone .... hahahaha ... Murphy's Law .... but until you scan the engine management system with a decent engine scanner ..to identify the CAL ID .... they cannot tell if your ECU is known or unknown ....

cheers
Baz

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
the process is the same as flashing for the full tune....
plug the PG3 into the OBDII port and read and flash the ECU, upload and download files ... etc
In your case the flash tune would only massage the shift points etc.... leaving the engine numbers alone ...
The challenge will be if the ECU is not in the database.... then Raptor need the ECU physically in Australia.
but even that process is simple .... as raptor will arrange to pickup your ECU from you and ship it via DHL to them ... plug it into the test bench grab the files etc.... and send the ECU back to you via DHL ... turn around would be 7-10 days max...( all at their cost ) then the real work can commence ... with working out the best shifts etc.... but thats done via email files....

I might have over stated that Raptor have most of the ECU IDs ... looking at the list there are still 4 or 5 unknowns .... and all fall into the 08/09 zone .... hahahaha ... Murphy's Law .... but until you scan the engine management system with a decent engine scanner ..to identify the CAL ID .... they cannot tell if your ECU is known or unknown ....

cheers
Baz
Baz,

Okay, so I’m new to this! Lol! I’m sure this was probably covered in the previous 700 comments prior to last 100+ comments that I read in this thread! I just looked up the PG3 to find out what that is and I’m now on to that! I watched a little video explaining how it works. So, the PG3 is part of the price and Raptor sends that to me to keep with files in place? And if the files need to be modified to dial in the shift points beyond what’s on the PG3, that gets done via email?

You would have to bring Murphy’s Law into this! Lol! That would probably be my luck! And then there’s the issue of me being a Mac guy and not owning a PC! I’m sure I can track down a friend or family member somewhere that can let me use theirs.

So what is the cost in USD for all this tranny love that I’m gonna get? Yeah, I know, that doesn’t even sound right!

Thanks,

Shannon

·
Premium Member
11,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #828
Baz,

Okay, so I’m new to this! Lol! I’m sure this was probably covered in the previous 700 comments prior to last 100+ comments that I read in this thread! I just looked up the PG3 to find out what that is and I’m now on to that! I watched a little video explaining how it works. So, the PG3 is part of the price and Raptor sends that to me to keep with files in place? And if the files need to be modified to dial in the shift points beyond what’s on the PG3, that gets done via email?

You would have to bring Murphy’s Law into this! Lol! That would probably be my luck! And then there’s the issue of me being a Mac guy and not owning a PC! I’m sure I can track down a friend or family member somewhere that can let me use theirs.

So what is the cost in USD for all this tranny love that I’m gonna get? Yeah, I know, that doesn’t even sound right!

Thanks,

Shannon

g'Day Shannon,
hahaha ...no sweat mate ...
Yes the PG3 is part of the package that you purchase from Raptor.
cost is about USD$800 for the whole kit n kaboodle.
Yes you will need access to Windows, unless you are smart enough to use a form of bootcamp and able to run Windows virtual software on your Mac ...some have been successful doing that.
the process goes like this
Step 1. Get your CAL ID... to do this you need an engine scanner to read your ECU ... send the CAL ID to Raptor via email. They confirm if its a working code, or a new code. If its a new code ..they will need your ECU.
Step 2. Purchase the kit .. Raptor send you the PG3 and necessary Windows software.
Step 3. plug PG3 into your OBDI port and down load the USR log file / transfer for it to your PC/Mac and email that to Raptor
Step 4. they modify the USR file and send it back to you, upload it into the PG3 ..then connect it to your OBDI port and flash it into your ECU.
Thats about it ....
there could be a few extra steps needed, like sending the ECU to them ... but hard to explain as the steps often vary with each tune. and being a guinea pig ..you might need to do it several times ... try the tune / send it back / try a new variation / etc. till you and Raptor are happy with the end result.
the good thing about this method and tune, is that you can flash back to the OE tune at any stage... stay on the road ...and when you get the new variation ( 1-2 days later ) ..reflash it and test ....
so the down time is really only limited to when the ECU is having a vacation down under ...for 7-10 days ...
the most important thing to remember, is before flashing a new tune or a revised tune into the ECU, you must always go back to the OE tune first ...if you try to overlay a revised tune over the existing shift tune ...you will kill it.. and then buy a new ECU...as its stuffed....
And you can't use the same PG3 on the wife's FJ ..you need a second PG to flash her ( that doesn't sound right ) hahaha, but the PG is locked to your VIN ...so you can't share ..... so when the wife wants her's done ... hahaha .. she will .... Raptor can do you a 2fer price ..and get the second one cheaper, with the full monty engine tune for her baby...

Cheers
Baz

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
g'Day Shannon,
hahaha ...no sweat mate ...
Yes the PG3 is part of the package that you purchase from Raptor.
cost is about USD$800 for the whole kit n kaboodle.
Yes you will need access to Windows, unless you are smart enough to use a form of bootcamp and able to run Windows virtual software on your Mac ...some have been successful doing that.
the process goes like this
Step 1. Get your CAL ID... to do this you need an engine scanner to read your ECU ... send the CAL ID to Raptor via email. They confirm if its a working code, or a new code. If its a new code ..they will need your ECU.
Step 2. Purchase the kit .. Raptor send you the PG3 and necessary Windows software.
Step 3. plug PG3 into your OBDI port and down load the USR log file / transfer for it to your PC/Mac and email that to Raptor
Step 4. they modify the USR file and send it back to you, upload it into the PG3 ..then connect it to your OBDI port and flash it into your ECU.
Thats about it ....
there could be a few extra steps needed, like sending the ECU to them ... but hard to explain as the steps often vary with each tune. and being a guinea pig ..you might need to do it several times ... try the tune / send it back / try a new variation / etc. till you and Raptor are happy with the end result.
the good thing about this method and tune, is that you can flash back to the OE tune at any stage... stay on the road ...and when you get the new variation ( 1-2 days later ) ..reflash it and test ....
so the down time is really only limited to when the ECU is having a vacation down under ...for 7-10 days ...
the most important thing to remember, is before flashing a new tune or a revised tune into the ECU, you must always go back to the OE tune first ...if you try to overlay a revised tune over the existing shift tune ...you will kill it.. and then buy a new ECU...as its stuffed....
And you can't use the same PG3 on the wife's FJ ..you need a second PG to flash her ( that doesn't sound right ) hahaha, but the PG is locked to your VIN ...so you can't share ..... so when the wife wants her's done ... hahaha .. she will .... Raptor can do you a 2fer price ..and get the second one cheaper, with the full monty engine tune for her baby...

Cheers
Baz
Baz, that sounds even better! Might try to do this before the vacation if my ecu is known. I’m gonna try to get the vehicle out to my buddy’s shop tomorrow to use his SnapOn scanner to get the Cal ID and get this process going.
What is the best email for Tim @ Raptor?

Thanks!
Shannon

·
Premium Member
11,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #830
Baz, that sounds even better! Might try to do this before the vacation if my ecu is known. I’m gonna try to get the vehicle out to my buddy’s shop tomorrow to use his SnapOn scanner to get the Cal ID and get this process going.
What is the best email for Tim @ Raptor?

Thanks!
Shannon

G'Day Shannon,
Sounds like a good plan... the best method to reach tim @ raptor is via the enquiry page ..here is the link

This gives him all the info to begin the process ....

good luck, and my fingers are crossed your CAL ID is known ....
Cheers
Baz

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
G'Day Shannon,
Sounds like a good plan... the best method to reach tim @ raptor is via the enquiry page ..here is the link

This gives him all the info to begin the process ....

good luck, and my fingers are crossed your CAL ID is known ....
Cheers
Baz
Baz, much thanks mate! I’ll reach out to Tim as soon as I have the Cal ID. And I’ll be sure to post all updates here when they happen. You Rock!

Have a great rest of your day!

Shannon

·
Premium Member
11,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #832
Baz, much thanks mate! I’ll reach out to Tim as soon as I have the Cal ID. And I’ll be sure to post all updates here when they happen. You Rock!

Have a great rest of your day!

Shannon

G'Day Shannon,
No probs mate... glad to help... any questions ... just fire em up...
cheers
Baz

·
Registered
163 Posts
So, I've now had the tune uploaded onto my '08 FJ for four days and the results are pretty fun, if I'm being honest here. The acceleration is pretty nice and the rev limit is quite high now as it will hold through almost 5500rpm redline and then shift into the next gear and continue the excitement. Found myself getting to 60mph quite quickly. Hitting the freeway on ramps I get to 80mph before I'm at the freeway entrance and have to back off to merge with traffic. I'm sure eventually I'll settle down and find out if there's any improved mpg performance, but until then, this has made the FJ fun as heck to drive on the streets. I still have not had it on any trails, but that will change this weekend, so stay tuned for that report out.
I am running the stock air intake (without the cyclonic filter), long tube headers and high flow cats with the aFe y-pipe and a magnaflow muffler. The tune made the exhaust a little louder, but it was pretty loud already. I'm gonna have to take it in to get a baffle put in to get it to quiet down some. So, all in all, the tune makes the FJ really come alive and, to me, is well worth the money for the performance. My buddy has a S/C FJC and we're gonna run 'em side by side to see how close I can hold to him before the S/C spools up and pulls away. This should be interesting......lol

·
Premium Member
11,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #834
G'Day DJD,
Awesome mate,
Well done .... fun factor is huge with the tune.
welcome to the RT club
Cheers
Baz

·
Premium Member
11,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #835
If you
So, I've now had the tune uploaded onto my '08 FJ for four days and the results are pretty fun, if I'm being honest here. The acceleration is pretty nice and the rev limit is quite high now as it will hold through almost 5500rpm redline and then shift into the next gear and continue the excitement. Found myself getting to 60mph quite quickly. Hitting the freeway on ramps I get to 80mph before I'm at the freeway entrance and have to back off to merge with traffic. I'm sure eventually I'll settle down and find out if there's any improved mpg performance, but until then, this has made the FJ fun as heck to drive on the streets. I still have not had it on any trails, but that will change this weekend, so stay tuned for that report out.
I am running the stock air intake (without the cyclonic filter), long tube headers and high flow cats with the aFe y-pipe and a magnaflow muffler. The tune made the exhaust a little louder, but it was pretty loud already. I'm gonna have to take it in to get a baffle put in to get it to quiet down some. So, all in all, the tune makes the FJ really come alive and, to me, is well worth the money for the performance. My buddy has a S/C FJC and we're gonna run 'em side by side to see how close I can hold to him before the S/C spools up and pulls away. This should be interesting......lol
tweak the airbox a bit more .... let it breath, you will give the S/C a run for the money !!!!

cheers
Baz

·
Forum Beer Miester
3,992 Posts
I run the twin turbo Eco Boost in an F-150, quite a quick little scooter in sport mode. By comparison off the line my FJ take it for a while but the pickup wins out after some distance. I think that’s pretty damned awesome considering 35’s weighing 109 lbs, 5850 lbs total, and it’s a flying brick.

Just imagine the improved shift points combined with the added compression of the SC in the middle of it’s power band, what a ride.

·
Desert Moderator
6,664 Posts
There's no way you're going to be saving fuel... I lost ~1L/100km But gained many more smiles per mile.

·
Registered
163 Posts
There's no way you're going to be saving fuel... I lost ~1L/100km But gained many more smiles per mile.
Yeah, me and my buddy were talking about how we're never gonna find out how the mpg's improve or if they actually improve cause we can't keep our foot out of it. lol

I forgot to report about the new freeway driving behaviors the tuned FJ now has......it definitely stays in one gear (overdrive) for much longer and does not hunt for gears as often. I live in the Phoenix area so there isn't much in the way of hills in the valley, so the true test will be when I head up north to the mountains and gain +4000' in elevation along the route. On the few hills I do encounter along my daily work commute the FJ now holds overdrive gear fine on, which in the past it would downshift to 4th. Also, during the freeway drive it holds overdrive gear very strongly, like it really enjoys being able to hold this new found power it has while in overdrive. You know, like the cars that have the "sport mode" button, and when you put the car into this mode, it holds all the gears longer to stay in the "power band"....this is exactly what the FJ is doing now. All that I can say is it makes driving the FJ A LOT MORE FUN AND ENJOYABLE!!

·
Registered
229 Posts
If you

tweak the airbox a bit more .... let it breath, you will give the S/C a run for the money !!!!

cheers
Baz
Baz,
1. On that note yes! I had a big AFE cone filter laying around so I mickey moused it on with foam, Gorilla tape, home depot plumbing, and just let it lay in the lower half of the air box. WOW! I didn't want to take it out. So that's the next upgrade.

2. I found that USA 91 Octane Shell V++ and Sinclair work. Chevron does not. The truck started to ping. I have bottles of Octane booster handy so I popped in the Lucas 3x. Back to normal.

3. 100 Octane USA pump fuel is $6.99 per gallon. 110 is about $9.00. I will test soon.

4. If you are trying to actually use maximum power from a standing start you have to turn off traction control in the AT. Even though I'm running 305's the rear wheels let go and the dash lights come on and the chimes come on and the computer retards my ignition timing when I mash it. To actually get the transmission to shift aggressively I have to hold the A-trac button in for 4 seconds. After that I can nail it, the trans shifts down hard, and I'm hanging on to the steering wheel for dear life. So far about 50 feet of wheel spin before I hook up on asphalt. If I install the amaclach rear locker bypass mod things will get really crazy.

·
Premium Member
11,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #840
Baz,
1. On that note yes! I had a big AFE cone filter laying around so I mickey moused it on with foam, Gorilla tape, home depot plumbing, and just let it lay in the lower half of the air box. WOW! I didn't want to take it out. So that's the next upgrade.

2. I found that USA 91 Octane Shell V++ and Sinclair work. Chevron does not. The truck started to ping. I have bottles of Octane booster handy so I popped in the Lucas 3x. Back to normal.

3. 100 Octane USA pump fuel is $6.99 per gallon. 110 is about $9.00. I will test soon.

4. If you are trying to actually use maximum power from a standing start you have to turn off traction control in the AT. Even though I'm running 305's the rear wheels let go and the dash lights come on and the chimes come on and the computer retards my ignition timing when I mash it. To actually get the transmission to shift aggressively I have to hold the A-trac button in for 4 seconds. After that I can nail it, the trans shifts down hard, and I'm hanging on to the steering wheel for dear life. So far about 50 feet of wheel spin before I hook up on asphalt. If I install the amaclach rear locker bypass mod things will get really crazy.
G'Day Step,
sounds like Chevron 91 ..isn't good gas ... lol....

Good gas / hi octane gas isn't cheap... I'll be interested to hear your thoughts with 100 / 110 ...

Switching of the nannies .... definitely helps boot it up.... just be careful when you do it.... hahaha ...
Don't need to read about a crazy out of control FJ plowing into a shop front .... etc ...etc....
Not to mention the boys in blue ..will be wanting to have a chat .....

Get a real airbox ... rofl rofl

Cheers
Baz

821 - 840 of 1071 Posts