Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

841 - 860 of 1061 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
G'Day Step,
sounds like Chevron 91 ..isn't good gas ... lol....

Good gas / hi octane gas isn't cheap... I'll be interested to hear your thoughts with 100 / 110 ...

Switching of the nannies .... definitely helps boot it up.... just be careful when you do it.... hahaha ...
Don't need to read about a crazy out of control FJ plowing into a shop front .... etc ...etc....
Not to mention the boys in blue ..will be wanting to have a chat .....

Get a real airbox ... rofl rofl

Cheers
Baz
Baz,
Tell me about the BAM exhaust and how it improved your torque. They are about 40 miles from me. I need to get rid of the Magnaflow. Which system are you running?
BR,
Step

·
Premium Member
11,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #842
Baz,
Tell me about the BAM exhaust and how it improved your torque. They are about 40 miles from me. I need to get rid of the Magnaflow. Which system are you running?
BR,
Step
G'Day Step,
I'm running a BAM cat back system, hand built by Keith.
Sounds like you read the thread I posted up by Keith some years back ....
Not sure what to say about it, other than it helps scavenge the exhaust and push it out quicker... and with a real muffler ...sounds great.
Its an easy bolt on and just works like it should.....
Keith knows a hellofalot about yoda exhausts - not just for the 1GR, but also the big boy V8's and knows how to build em right.
Definitely worth a phone to Keith and have a chat. Tell him what you want ... and he will recommend the best type of system for you...then build it ...

cheers
Baz

·
Registered
224 Posts
G'Day Step,
I'm running a BAM cat back system, hand built by Keith.
Sounds like you read the thread I posted up by Keith some years back ....
Not sure what to say about it, other than it helps scavenge the exhaust and push it out quicker... and with a real muffler ...sounds great.
Its an easy bolt on and just works like it should.....
Keith knows a hellofalot about yoda exhausts - not just for the 1GR, but also the big boy V8's and knows how to build em right.
Definitely worth a phone to Keith and have a chat. Tell him what you want ... and he will recommend the best type of system for you...then build it ...

cheers
Baz
Hi Baz,

Yup! I also talked with him on the phone. He knows what he's doing. I also talked to Ed Hanson, another well known exhaust tuner. I'm going to think about what they offered. With Ed he offers a 100% guarantee because he tunes on your rig and has a dyno. It's amazing what they can build in under 30 minutes.

BAM:

Hi Stephen. Our bolt on system would help your situation. Our muffler is a better design. I would suggest our 24x6 muffler in the system. You’d only need a hi tuck if you take your Fj off roading.

The catback and hi tuck are sold separately. And you may choose to buy one and not the other.

Here’s pricing in stainless steel:

Catback $695

Tailpipe $200

Give a call to order. Or hit me back here.

Keith Carty 760-877-4234 DirtyDeedsIndustries.com

·
MOAB SUPERSTAR
6,110 Posts
@stephous I’ve been running Keith’s BAM exhaust (catback, resonator, hi tuck) for years and LOVE it...also have to say Keith was awesome to work with and nailed the tune/sound - I’ve had zero problems with it. It really pairs well with the Raptor tune too ?

·
Registered
224 Posts
@stephous I’ve been running Keith’s BAM exhaust (catback, resonator, hi tuck) for years and LOVE it...also have to say Keith was awesome to work with and nailed the tune/sound - I’ve had zero problems with it. It really pairs well with the Raptor tune too ?
Deb,
Great feedback from you and Baz. That makes me want to do it knowing that the Raptor Tune and a TRD CAI will give me another boost. There's nothing wrong with the way it is now but I hate to leave extra ponies on the table when these upgrades are easy installs.

Baz,
I'm learning to use the force only for passing and hill climbs. I don't want to be that guy who goes flying through the air and does a carrier landing on someones second story roof (like the insurance commercial).

BR,
Stephen

·
Desert Moderator
6,522 Posts
Because mine is a 6MT I don't break loose in the dry, but a little bit of damp on the road and I get flashing lights, beeps, & retardation.
Actually just the lights & beeps. The retard is behind the wheel :ROFLMAO: ;)

·
Desert Moderator
6,522 Posts
Oh please stop giving me ideas!!!!

·
MOAB SUPERSTAR
6,110 Posts
Deb,
Great feedback from you and Baz. That makes me want to do it knowing that the Raptor Tune and a TRD CAI will give me another boost. There's nothing wrong with the way it is now but I hate to leave extra ponies on the table when these upgrades are easy installs.

Baz,
I'm learning to use the force only for passing and hill climbs. I don't want to be that guy who goes flying through the air and does a carrier landing on someones second story roof (like the insurance commercial).

BR,
Stephen
I have the TRD intake and it had problems. I’ve since worked that out but believe it’s not the best design.

·
Registered
40 Posts
As recommended a few pages back, I read the entire 8 year old thread on exhaust builds with many side trails to other linked threads and hours of you tubes. Finished late last night. Need to specify CAI & exhaust systems before an inquiry to Raptor, thus the urgency to purchase & install them.

Turns out that aFe also offers a compatible exhaust kit, one side exit and one tail exit with polished or black tips. The main differences between theirs and DDI’s seems to be Aluminized vs. stainless steel and an offset (chambered) muffler vs. a packed pass-through. Is this correct? Why is it not best to mate the exhaust with the CAI from the same manufacturer? Each are Dino-tested and bolt-on. What performance and engineering differences between the two make a difference? Not all pertinent information may be listed at their sites or I may have overlooked something. Subject vehicle is an ‘07 6MT currently stock. Would like to order the flash before they run out again.

·
Registered
40 Posts
BTW, I am acquainted with the adage that one gets what one pays for. In my experience that applies only sometimes and if lucky. Just want effective (and maybe efficient) improvements short of opening the engine block or bolting on a SC, and not wanting to replace those after a few months for unanticipated reasons. Redundant purchases may be occasionally inevitable, but best are averted. Then I can get my lift that much sooner, right? All replies pursued.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I have the TRD intake and it had problems. I’ve since worked that out but believe it’s not the best design.
Thanks Deb,
I just have to be sure that my solution also meets CARB or I will have to remove it every two years.

·
Registered
224 Posts
BTW, I am acquainted with the adage that one gets what one pays for. In my experience that applies only sometimes and if lucky. Just want effective (and maybe efficient) improvements short of opening the engine block or bolting on a SC, and not wanting to replace those after a few months for unanticipated reasons. Redundant purchases may be occasionally inevitable, but best are averted. Then I can get my lift that much sooner, right? All replies pursued.
So for those reasons I decided not to go with a SC this time. Having had two I know what happens when you actually use them. Don't get me wrong, I loved the peak performance. At first 5 pounds of boost was fun then you start installing other things like under drive pulleys because you want more torque down low, and you start cracking exhaust manifolds, and you install bigger injectors, and you get oil leaks from the pan because of CS pressure, and you blow up your catalytic converters, and.........

·
Premium Member
11,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #853
As recommended a few pages back, I read the entire 8 year old thread on exhaust builds with many side trails to other linked threads and hours of you tubes. Finished late last night. Need to specify CAI & exhaust systems before an inquiry to Raptor, thus the urgency to purchase & install them.

Turns out that aFe also offers a compatible exhaust kit, one side exit and one tail exit with polished or black tips. The main differences between theirs and DDI’s seems to be Aluminized vs. stainless steel and an offset (chambered) muffler vs. a packed pass-through. Is this correct? Why is it not best to mate the exhaust with the CAI from the same manufacturer? Each are Dino-tested and bolt-on. What performance and engineering differences between the two make a difference? Not all pertinent information may be listed at their sites or I may have overlooked something. Subject vehicle is an ‘07 6MT currently stock. Would like to order the flash before they run out again.
g'Day TT,
I am not sure anyone can answer that Q.... it comes back to personal confidence in a manufacturer and personal preference. Just like tyres ....lolol...which is best?
Its all some what of a compromise.... price / comfort / confidence / looks and sound / time and effort ... etc...
I'm sure both are very good systems....rubbish generally sinks to the bottom eventually ....

In testing systems, Raptor advise that exhaust mods do not seem to increase performance ...not to the same degree as a CAI does - anyway... where as with a s/c system they recommend a 3 inch exhaust for max gain .... that said, I personally believe having a properly designed and built performance orientated exhaust helps... and sounds so much better. when you consider the Yoda exhaust is designed for economy ... the improvements are out there to be had... regardless of manufacturer .... It also comes back to what you do with your rig ? ..wheel ? race ? Baja ? looks etc... how is your rig built ...for what purpose ...

Evolution of your rig, takes time and $$$ ... you do not have to have the tune, intake, exhaust all fitted simultaneously ... they each work alone ...they just work better together ...

I'm sure that what ever intake / exhaust setup you decide on will be a big improvement .....

Cheers
Baz

·
Premium Member
1,977 Posts
Regarding exhaust choices: if you live in a rust environment then definitely get stainless, because aluminized steel exhaust parts will only last a few years before the welds start to rot out.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Baz, thank you for the reply. This is the verification I seek. She’s being mechanically fixed & electronically enhanced as mostly a gentleman’s cruiser with salient upgrades for eventual trail fun. I wouldn’t be looking at fancy foreign seats otherwise. She’s been in various shops half the time since I bought her last October, though I always visit weekly. The costs accrue and are sizable. Main Line Overland has an open house this Saturday (I hope they don’t wuss out) so I’ll order more stuff after hanging with professionals. Probably will proceed with the CAI & tune with exhaust to follow. Will decide on that after the latest cc bills arrive. Again, thank you muchly. More later.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Steph, yup. I view superchargers analogous to hot girlfriends when young. They will be a fun ride whenever you want one, but other systems likely will get compromised, eventually necessitating repairs or replacement. It’s not my choice for an enduring, stable relationship. After all,I don’t want to end up living with something that causes too much aggravation. I want to love and take pride in her.

·
Premium Member
259 Posts
I emailed my info to Tim yesterday, and he got back to me right away. Seems that the ECU in my 2008 has a CAL ID that they don't have on the system, and I will have to ship the ECU to them, and it will take around 16 days, door to door. At first I was semi-despondent, 'cause I had visions of being able to feel those crisper shift points and hear a throaty roar, and just generally making my butt feel better as I drove around. But I need to use the dang thing! It's my Daily Driver. Then I thought about things, and the old bull and the young bull, and realized I could do without it for two weeks, and in those two weeks I could finish my motorcycle for its trip to the little States.

So I visited the folks at Green Tree Fabrication here in Anchorage to get a body mount chop on April 7th, and let Tim know I will send him the ECU no later than the 8th. It should be back before the end of April, I will finish the R80, and have all of May to prep both machines for their trip to yon smaller States - like Texas for instance.

I can wait, like an old bull, but when it gets back and installed, I'm gonna go all young bull all over the place.

Semper Fi.

841 - 860 of 1061 Posts